wiring question for noob

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

wiring question for noob

Post by redfarm »

my dynatorch table just arrived ,it has a 1250 g3 plasma cutter.The previous owner had it wired-in direct to the panel running 3-phase. I will be using a welder plug (50-amp) and running on single phase,is there a problem doing that and is the red wire live and in need of proper termination (wire nut and tape)or just nipping it off at the end of the outer sheath be good?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: wiring question for noob

Post by jimcolt »

You don't say what your line voltage is......if it is 200 to 208 volt single phase the 1250 will draw 70 Amps when running at 80 Amps output on approximately 7/8" plate. If you try to cut up to 1-1/4 or thicker it could pull up to 100 Amps from the circuit.

If your line voltage is 230 to 240 volts, it will draw roughly 60 Amps at 80 Amps output on 7/8" plate, and up to 96 on the thickest materials.

If you have a 50 Amp single phase 230 to 240 volt circuit...you likely can cut at up to 60 Amps output without tripping the breaker.

Jim Colt
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the response. You really are everyhere,all the time.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I actually get paid to surf the web and answer plasma cutting questions. Its kind of fun when your job and your hobby all blend together!
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

It's also great for Hypertherm. I own 2 and love them the tech support is great! While I gotcha what are the major diff's between the 1250 like I have and the 45 that you have?
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”