Spare parts suggestions for PM 65

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Spare parts suggestions for PM 65

Post by Marty »

My PM65 has worked beautifully for 6 years, actual real time cutting time is 10-20 hours a week, sometime more, just depends
It occurred to me that if a part failed, I would be SOL for a few days, so I thought maybe I should stock certain spare parts for the PM65. Is there a recommended spares list , or can some one suggest which part(s) most likely to fail the soonest? I keep plenty of consumables in stock so no problem there. Hopefully Jim will catch this post and have some welcome input.

For my table (Shop Sabre/stepper motors) I already keep some spare relays and limit switches for the control system......

But for the main table hardware like motors, drive components etc, I am hoping something does not fail un expectedly (how else do things fail except un expectedly :roll: :roll: ) , maybe I need to look into a deeper spares list for the table. Open to ideas for the table spares as well
The table has worked very well also with the exception of having to replace the THC control boards at 2 years...they were full 120 volt control voltage, Shop Sabre finally re design it to 5 volt.....if you have the old 120 volt version, you might want to be aware

Thanks in advance
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Spare parts suggestions for PM 65

Post by urbnsr »

One option you may want to consider is to sell your 6 year old unit after getting new one in and installed. New doesn't always mean trouble-free, but a warranty may get you a loaner unit until yours is repaired. The place I deal with offers rentals during repair and at no charge if the unit is under warranty.

Although, I have no idea of market price for a used PM65.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

That is a good option to look into......I have done that exact thing with other smaller shop tools / equipment.....the net difference between replacement cost and sell price of the old unit usually makes it worth the peace of mind

Thanks!
Marty

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax units are pretty robust. I would recommend:

-Torch Main Body 228716
-Torch Mounting Sleeve 228735
- Adapter Ring 228736
Consumables
Air filter plastic bowl (tech service can supply part number based on serial number....as there were different models over the years).

The torch parts are subject to occasional plate collisions....and these are the parts that normally receive damage. If you have a good operating magnetic breakaway...they may not ever be necessary!

At the other end of the spectrum......get a complete spare system with a hand and machine torch. The system configurations for the Powermax 65 and 85 with both torches gets you a good discount (over buying the torches separately).

My Powermax85 has been running on my CNC table for almost 6-1/2 years (I have an Alpha prototype that I was using 4 months before we released the 65 / 85 systems as a product). Not a single glitch yet. I have never cleaned out the shop dust....probably should do that eventually!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

Thank you Jim, appreciate your time to answer the questions. I have a magnetic break away, and I cannot envision operating without it. It is really good to hear of your experience with your own units....Hypertherm sure seems to be as bullet proof as can be be...wish everything was as dependable.
Speaking of dust, I think I will take a few minutes to clean out the dust I am sure has built up on the inside....glad you mentioned it. The dust may keep it from cooling as efficiently. I have a refrigerated air dryer I regularly blow out accumaulated interior dust for the same reason. It sounds like the PM65 electrical components are pretty rugged. For a long time I mostly cut at 45 amps, in fact I bought the 65 amp unit to oversize it hoping for cooler running and longevity. Having said that though, more and more I am cutting at 65 amps to save a little time on larger cut outs.
Thanks
Marty

Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

In our shop we have a number of Hypertherm plasma units , our oldest is a model 900 that was purchased new and installed onto a CNC application. After years of use it was pulled off the CNC and a hand torch installed and it is still used around the shop. zero problems.
Aside of consumables we have spare machine torches for all our CNC tables, we have never damaged one but have spares anyway.
We have a very good equipment replacement budget for each year however I see no reason to change out perfectly good working machines unless new technology in there prescribed application here would warrant it.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

Thanks for the input Dana Gear.....that is very re assuring to hear....I am more impressed now with Hypertherm ,after years of use, than I was when I bought them new....For a high current electrical device that operates in a dusty, non air conditioned environment, I am Happily Amazed with the longevity. And I am not Happily Amazed very often :lol:

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”