My New Hypertherm 45xp

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
LT5 John
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

My New Hypertherm 45xp

Post by LT5 John »

First off, I am new to Plasma cutting. I have done a lot of research on all the variable plasma cutters on the market. I was torn between the Hypertherm 30 XP and the 45 XP... After long consideration, I went with the 45XP. My decision was based on all the great post from members of this forum. I feel the 45XP will give me more advantage, for future expansion of a plasma table...Also, kudos to Jim Colt. Who is always available to answer question or concerns. My first use of the 45XP was yesterday. The fit and finish and overall quality is AWSOME!...I cut everything from 1/8 to 1/2 " plate...The 45XP performed great, cut like a knife through butter... :mrgreen:

JT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: My New Hypertherm 45 XP

Post by jimcolt »

Thanks from all of the employee / owners at Hypertherm for buying the Powermax45 XP. We are always available if you have any questions or concerns...happy cutting! Jim Colt Hypertherm
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Jim, how does the 45 XP differ from the straight 45 ?

(I echo the comments about Jim Colt - he's been a help to me for decades ! )
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

New 45 XP:
1. Uses the Duramax torch (same as used on the newer Powermax65, 85, and 105 systems).
2. Has Finecut consumables for best quality on materials 10 gauge and thinner.
3. Produces more cutting power. (6500 watts vs 5900). Faster, thicker and higher duty cycle rating.
4. Weighs less than the 45.
5. Ability to run at amperages as low as 10 (vs 20 for the PMX45). This allows for plate marking and precision spot weld gouging processes, both new technology)
6. Front panel on/off switch (perceived as more convenient as compared to rear panel switch).
7. Marking consumable for plate layout marking. Uses a special marking nozzle and shield, can use argon best quality mark) or air.
8. The 45 was produced for over ten years, with over 100,000 sold. It was time to upgrade the design in terms of better circuitry, higher reliability, more power and the new lower amperage marking and gouging processes. Nothing wrong with the original 45, however Hypertherm likes to stay ahead of its competitors...not wait for them to catch up!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Frog Island
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Frog Island »

Sold. That is a great product endorsement. I think they will sell all they can make.
Arclight 5 X 10
Hypertherm 85
Henry the dog
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

Good to hear. I ordered a 45 XP yesterday to use for handheld cutting. My 85 has been perfect for 2 years.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Does the 45XP use the same 45 amp consumables as the PM45? If I upgrade I want to be able to use up the consumables that I have as I buy in quantity.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

I'm pretty sure they are different. It uses a duramax torch and can use the same torches as the 65 and 85.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

I just received a new 45XP with machine torch (lockout switch) to replace the PM85 on the 4 x 4 table I have at home. The PM85 is going to be used on a new 5 x 10 Sampson table in another shop with a 480 volt power supply.

It's encouraging to know the 45XP handles 1/2" metal nicely. That's about the thickest metal I cut on the 4 x 4 table..I have cut 1/2" with the 85 using the 45 amp process but I usually go the 65 amp process as it's a bit faster and easier to pierce but the angle quality falls off a bit using 65 amps on 1/2" but hardly noticeable.. On open frames and such 1 or 2 degree edge angle never gets noticed anyway IMO..

It's handy that Hypertherm gives us so many options on our cutters and the consumables fit both the 45XP machine torch and the Duramax torch.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

Can the 45xp be purchased directly from Hypertherm?
marcnaz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by marcnaz »

My 2 cents from my past inquires and purchases. Like most large companies, Hypertherm lists on their web site where to buy retail machines and parts. I haven't seen a Hypertherm direct store for machines or parts. Hypermaxonline.com is owned by parent company Earlbeck Gases & Technologies, but all they supply is Hypertherm machines, parts and accessories. Many of the online welding supply web site vendors sell them and usually have the better prices simply because of their sales volume and offers such as free shipping. It's very likely that when you place an order at one of the online vendors, the machine may be shipped to you directly from Hypertherm. The warranty will be the same regardless.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm has never sold anything direct. All sales go through our distributors (welding supply) and our OEM's (machine builders). Jim Colt Hypertherm
Fcapt10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fcapt10 »

Well, I am more than dissapointed with my new PM45xp. And the service that I am recieving from Hypertherm. I am not one to complain but for months now I have been dealing with a cutter that will not consistantly cut peices of metal. The first time it was hooked up to a cnc table the owner of the company that built the table ran a test cut and told me that the cutter was defective and it needed to be replaced. It was struggling to cut through 14ga sheet metal even running at 70% of book speed. And the start delay during post flow was extremely long. My first call to hypertherm ended with the tech support guy basically telling me that George Musak the owner of Delusional Design and myself didn't know what we were talking about and that it was a setting issue. Granted I am a newbe when it comes to cnc plasma and may not be able to articulate well with an engineer , however George sets up about 10 tables a week. Since then my PM45xp has been in the shop and had the main board replaced, had the air solenoid replaced, cost me hundreds of dollars in metal that it hasn't cut properly (I'm talking mid way through a pattern deciding to not cut completely through the metal) cost me three trips to the service center that is 40 plus miles away, not to mention the time involved. Now I am insisting on a new machine and was hoping to get it taken care of while on vacation and got an email that when I get back the sales rep for my area will need to evaluate it! This is not the way a large company shoukd do business if they want to stay reputable.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Well....had you contacted me I would have suggested on 14 gauge that you should not slow down the cut speed (if it was not penetrating 14 gauge) rather, you should increase the cut height setting from .06" to .08" and also increase the arc voltage so that the cut height during steady state cutting would be maintained at .08". This increases the arc voltage which helps cut 14, 12 and 10 gauge steel that may have higher silicone, manganese or carbon content (quite common), and allows the torch to produce adequate energy (amps x voltage = wattage) to penetrate material with different chemistry. Slowing down the cut speed may solve the penetration problem, however it will create a wider kerf, dross, warpage.

Please contact me directly at jim.colt@hypertherm.com and have your full name, address and machine serial number and I will review the calls to tech service. From there we will determine the best plan to solve all of you issues with the Powermax 45 XP.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Fcapt10 wrote:Well, I am more than dissapointed with my new PM45xp. And the service that I am recieving from Hypertherm. I am not one to complain but for months now I have been dealing with a cutter that will not consistantly cut peices of metal. The first time it was hooked up to a cnc table the owner of the company that built the table ran a test cut and told me that the cutter was defective and it needed to be replaced. It was struggling to cut through 14ga sheet metal even running at 70% of book speed. And the start delay during post flow was extremely long. My first call to hypertherm ended with the tech support guy basically telling me that George Musak the owner of Delusional Design and myself didn't know what we were talking about and that it was a setting issue. Granted I am a newbe when it comes to cnc plasma and may not be able to articulate well with an engineer , however George sets up about 10 tables a week. Since then my PM45xp has been in the shop and had the main board replaced, had the air solenoid replaced, cost me hundreds of dollars in metal that it hasn't cut properly (I'm talking mid way through a pattern deciding to not cut completely through the metal) cost me three trips to the service center that is 40 plus miles away, not to mention the time involved. Now I am insisting on a new machine and was hoping to get it taken care of while on vacation and got an email that when I get back the sales rep for my area will need to evaluate it! This is not the way a large company shoukd do business if they want to stay reputable.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Either you have the worst luck of anyone that ever bought a 45Xp or something is wrong with the way its being hooked up or used. Nothing has been mentioned about a THC and if it's being used . Delusional uses the Promo SD THC and you cannot use book voltage settings.

10 tables a week? 40 tables a month? No wonder he has no time to answer calls about when a table can ship.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I offered to help Fcapt10.....but no response. I am waiting to get serial number and contact info...then we will review all tech service calls and records of warranty. My contact info: jim.colt@hypertherm.com
Fcapt10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fcapt10 »

I'm sorry if I have not been in touch. I have been on an extended trip and have been in many places where I have no internet connectivity. I sent you an email.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I received your direct email response...and have responded back. I still need the serial number....so I can see any warranty work that was done on this unit. I requested the cut file for the cut quality issues that you sent pictures of (dross seems to be the major complaint)....so I can cut the same part on my home shop machine. If you work with me we can narrow down the cut quality issues and work on resolving them.

In most cases on a cnc machine when cut quality is of issue....the plasma cutter gets blamed first (because it does the actual cutting!). The cutter relies on: smooth fluidic motion at the correct cut speed, accurate torch to work distance (height) within plus or minus .005" during steady state cutting, excellent acceleration so cut speeds can be achieved on fine features and entering/exiting corners, smooth z axis reaction, as well as a good cut file that works with plasma cutting. The main causes of dross: 1. Cutting to slow (just because you set the speed at 250 ipm doesn't mean you are actually achieving that speed). 2. Cutting too high, height is critical....too high and it will create a wider kerf, top dross and warpage (just because you set the height correctly does not mean your machine is achieving it, most height controls use arc voltage feedback, the voltage is proportional to height. Check the pierce height and the cut height often with a thickness gauge. If too high lower the arc voltage until a thickness gauge shows correct height (usually .06").

CNC plasma cutting involves a lot of parameters and the result is a bit of a learning curve, especially on low cost entry level machines. $100k cnc plasma machines today are highly automated....all of the parameters are embedded in software (CAM) and CNC controls. Low cost machines do not have that technology yet (it cost money!), so the operator has to develop expertise.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Fcapt10 wrote:I'm sorry if I have not been in touch. I have been on an extended trip and have been in many places where I have no internet connectivity. I sent you an email.
Fcapt10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fcapt10 »

Well, to give an update to this whole thread, sorry it is so delayed ( I had my mother pass away unexpectedly) I have had a district sales rep come and observe the problems I have been having with my plasma cutting and during the observation was insisting that the delay problems that he observed was not due to a cutter problem and was convinced it was in my cnc machine. That is, until I showed him that lowering the inlet air pressure reduced the delay. He then conceded to get me another 45xp to hook up to my existing system and then could rule out the cutter. After switching units I no longer have problems with delayed post flow starts and have not had one time where the cutter changes from cutting to gouging during a cut. I hope that Hypertherm will now understand that there is a problem with the 45xp and not write off everyone that is having this type of problem as being a ignorant novice. I have now cut out 7 separate patterns with out 1 miss fire, delay, or incomplete cut. The new cutter resolved all the issues that I was dealing with.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Fcapt10, Glad you were able to get it resolved through working with tech service and the sales rep from Hypertherm. It will be interesting to see what the issue is, maybe something to do with the auto gas regulator controls. We do get the complaint on a weekly basis regarding timing differences between cuts that start during no air flow as compared to cuts during post flow...the timing between the start signal and the actual arc transfer of current to the work cable is different during post flow / no post flow firing, this is always solved with correct interface to the CNC machine. The issue with yours is something quite different, and we will determine what the issue is and do everything we can to prevent future occurrence! Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”