Need some help with Powermax 800 and PlasmaCam

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
fred007
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Need some help with Powermax 800 and PlasmaCam

Post by fred007 »

Using a Powermax 800 on a PlasmaCam system and need some help on height/consumables. We have been able to make some good cuts, but have issues getting things setup, and continuing good cuts. We are cutting 1/2" AR500 and I know this is at the limit of the 800. However, you use what you have, right?

Question 1: What would the best electrode/shield/cup be for this setup? I have been using these:
120576 Swirl Ring
120602 Shield
120600 Cup
120577 55amp Nozzle
120573 Electrode

Question 2: How long should a setup of these last? I am cutting at 12in/min with a pierce time of 3.25 seconds. What I am guessing is that these consumables are being consumed much quicker than I anticipated.

Question 3: Heights. What would you expect for a pierce height? Cutting height?

Question 4: More of a PlasmaCam question, but using the height voltage control is really the only way to go, right? And I believe we need a setup for each combination of consumables, right?

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers. We have some good success, but its a bit random and I need to get a better handle on what is happening.

Thanks again.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need some help with Powermax 800 and PlasmaCam

Post by mdwalker »

I have a PowerMax 800 that I ran on my table before I bought my PowerMax 1000. I will have to check to see if I still have any of the settings written down as it has been several years ago. Do you have the original torch or have you upgraded the torch? I upgraded the torch on my and it uses the same consumables as my 1000 so unless you have upgraded my settings wouldn't help. I doubt that you will ever get consistent quality cuts if you are piercing 1/2" with this setup as this is outside of this machine's capabilities. Keep in mind that the capabilities for piercing from a cnc machine is different than piercing by hand. You will get much better results if you can do edge starts and/or drill pilot holes. It's unlikely you will be able to pierce without damaging the nozzle. Having said that, I do occasionally pierce thicker than rated material with my 1000. I normally move to the pierce point and start the pierce. The instant the pierce burns completely through the material I stop the cut and remove the slag from around the pierce then restart the cut. This usually works out well for me.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
fred007
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by fred007 »

Thanks, that helps. Couple of quick follow up questions. Would the torch upgrade for the 800 help significantly on the consumption of consumables? I like the idea of piercing and cleaning up, then doing it again. Will try that out.

Any ideas on consumable life? I was wondering if 5-8 minutes of cutting time on 1/2" would burn through a set of consumables. This would be with the old torch setup.
fred007
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by fred007 »

Oh, and we are also cutting AR500 so a pilot hole is not a possibility. (at least an easy one...)
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

fred007 wrote:Thanks, that helps. Couple of quick follow up questions. Would the torch upgrade for the 800 help significantly on the consumption of consumables? I like the idea of piercing and cleaning up, then doing it again. Will try that out.

Any ideas on consumable life? I was wondering if 5-8 minutes of cutting time on 1/2" would burn through a set of consumables. This would be with the old torch setup.
Yes, the torch upgrade will increase the cutting capabilities significantly. If you are only getting 5 - 8 minutes of cutting time on a set of consumables then something is bad wrong. I can cut through several sheets of 1/2" material with one set of consumables with my PowerMax 1000. If Jim Colt sees this post he would be able to give you much more accurate information on torch upgrades and consumable life. If you are doing very much cutting and going through consumables in 5-8 minutes you could justify the cost of a PM65 or PM85 which would be much better suited to what you are cutting.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”