Hypertherm Consumables Recommendation

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hypertherm Consumables Recommendation

Post by txbobcat »

Picked up a new hypertherm 85 for a new plasma table. Bought oversized for possible larger projects. What would be a good starter set/quantity of consumables to buy? I know I should get some 45/65 siZes. Just trying to decide what type and how many to buy to get started.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm Consumables Recommendation

Post by motoguy »

Get Copperplus electrodes for use on less than 1/2" material. Finecut nozzles if you will be cutting less than 10 ga (1/8"). Other than that, 45, 65, 85 nozzles and regular electrodes. Couple extra swirl rings, extra retaining cap, extra o-rings.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Nozzles seem to be packaged in 5 each don't forget shields too, if your using ohmic sensor get the retaining cap for that, and the silicon grease.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Let me know what thicknesses you plan to cut, more importantly, what thickness will you spend most of your time cutting? Also....is productivity (cut speed, end of the day pile of good parts) more important for each thickness...or is cut quality more important. I almost always recommend buying consumables "a la carte" as opposed to buying a pre-packaged kit....as everyone has different needs. Also....does your machine have ohmic sensing? Jim Colt Hypertherm
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

Yes on ohmic sensing.

Most of my cutting (90%+) will be 1/4" and less. 1/8 and 3/16 being the bulk of what I currently build. On the productivity I am not sure yet as this is my first table purchase and somewhat unsure where it will lead. Currently I am mainly building/welding commercial type parts not real intricate pieces. I mainly bought the larger hypertherm 85 unit to look into some heavier pieces in the future that I have passed on building in the past (oilfield parts). Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”