Hypertherm PM 45 Air issue ?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm PM 45 Air issue ?

Post by AndrewMawson »

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 45 of 2010 vintage - new to me so bought used, and works extremely well ...

.... but ... (there's always a but !) every now and again, on first use in the morning when the software triggers the arc I hear just the faintest puff of air and the arc does not fire. So I raise up off the work, and trigger the fire circuit manually. I sometimes get the same result but after one or two triggers off we go and it's fine for the rest of the session.

It's almost as though the air solenoid (I assume it has one inside?) is a bit sticky and reluctant to open up - is this feasible? Is the solenoid a standard part that I can change out as a diagnostic approach ?

Any suggestions welcomed
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PM 45 Air issue ?

Post by jimcolt »

Yes there is an air solenoid. You can disassemble it if you are careful, clean it and reassemble....or you can just replace it. Check the clear plastic filter bowl for signs of debris, oil, moisture etc., these are usually the reason for a sticky solenoid valve. You can download a service manual from the www.hypertherm.com website.
Jim Colt Hypertherm

Here is an illustration of the air side of the Powermax45:
picof airside.jpg
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Thanks Jim, you are a star (as usual !)
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I've had the same issue from about the same time, replaced and pulled down solenoids and quite a few other things but we have just come to accept that any time the table has been idle we have to do a couple of air fires to ensure it starts. Running Neuron now it does two more re-trys if it fails to fire before going into fault mode so most times this is enough.

But as to your original post, it's not an uncommon problem. I have asked it and seen it on numerous forums over the years. Just purge and pre-fire, it'll become second nature to you.
Murray

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”