Air pressure pulsing

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Air pressure pulsing

Post by flimmy »

While cutting tonight I had the air pressure start pulsing. I have a PM 65 . The consumables where new ( only a hand full of small parts cut prior to the problem ) and it didn't do it at the start of the cuts but after it was cutting for about 30-45 seconds. After it started to pulse for about 10 seconds or so the torch would shut off. I have a gauge at the back of the cutter and could see it was the air pressure , it was pulsing around 90 psi and going up and down about 5-10 psi. I tested the air supply by disconnecting the line from the back of the cutter and used a blow gun to see it the gauge out pulse with the valve open. I have the gauge right before the quick connect so I can see the pressure at the gun.

Is the problem with the cutter ?
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Air pressure pulsing

Post by flimmy »

btw I was cutting new clean 3/16 steel when the problem occurred.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

When our PM65 was a few months old it started doing that at times...sounded like a steam locomotive chugging. Hypertherm sent us a new board and that took care of it.

Allen
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Always best to contact the tech service group at Hypertherm. They spend their work weeks talking with customers around the world and helping them solve any and all issues with Hypertherm systems. I am 100% sure they can steer you in the right direction! technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 Jim Colt Hypertherm
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by flimmy »

Well today I took the cover off , blew out any dirt ( none really) , took filter out and it didnt look dirty and decided to cut some parts and watch and listen to what was going to happen when it started pulsing and shutting off. Well it used to last about 8-10 mins before the problem would start. Tonight it didnt do it at all. Seems like it might be a heat issue. Anyone else have this problem ? I was going to take it to a Hypetherm dealer for repair tomorrow but I think I'll hold off and do some more cutting before. I was even thinking about cutting some holes in the non louvered side to help with air flow. Maybe even throw an additional fan

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”