cutting 1/4" plate at 65 amps vs 45 amps?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cutting 1/4" plate at 65 amps vs 45 amps?

Post by i_r_machinist »

I have a 45 amp hypertherm that I use to cut 1/4" plate with finecut nozzels. It cut ok and I can get some pretty detailed work out of it. Would I gain anything by going to a 65 amp machine? Could I cut faster?
Thanks
Kerry
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: cutting 1/4" plate at 65 amps vs 45 amps?

Post by exapprentice »

Hi i_r_machinist

Do you mean you are using the 30 amp consumable set up?
The PM 45 does not have the ability to use "Fine cut" consumables, Jim Colt has posted somewhere that you will always get better quality cuts using the 45 amp consumables at book spec over using the 30 amp consumables at spec.

I do use the 30 amp consumables but only to slow down on the feeds and speeds on my table when cutting 20 swg CR4 with more details to be cut out in an attempt to spare my table :lol:

IMHO the PM 45 is more than capable of producing real nice cuts in 1/4" material, you will cut faster with the 45 amp consumables according the the book specs so why not try :?: so I wouldnt see the need at the moment to move upto the PM 65 just yet.
or post on here what you are using in the way of settings and consumables for others to look at and maybe comment a little further ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
TTS
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TTS »

Yes, your ipm should increase going from 45 to 65 amp. I have a 105 and still cut 1/4" detail art work at 45 amps due to the quality being so good.
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by i_r_machinist »

I have a hypertherm 600, which is a 45 amp max machine. I use the finecut consumables for the t123 torch that came with the machine. Per Jim Colt, I cut at the rated nozzel amperage. This is on a Plasmacam table.
The question came up because I am cutting more and more 1/4" plate. I have a 85 amp Hypertherm 1250 at work that I can play with but figured I'd just ask here instead.
Thanks
Kerry

TTS,
What feedrate do you cut at? If I get over 21 ipm I see some detail loss.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Depending on how much you cut, the duty cycle will be greater with the PM65 running at 45 amps.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Just to straighten out a few misconceptions from the posts:

-Finecut consumables are rated for 10 gauge (roughly 1/8") and thinner materials. They do not perform well on thicker materials, so the cut charts in the Hypertherm operators manuals stop at 10 gauge.
- The original Powermax45 does not have available fine cut consumables. The new Powermax 45 XP, which uses the same torch as the Powermax65, 85 and 105, does have available Finecut consumables for cutting 10 gauge and thinner.
- The older Powermax600 has a 40 Amp output, not 45 as stated in a previous post. It has available Fine cut consumables with its original torch or with the Duramax upgrade torch for use on 10 gauge and thinner.

If you compare 1/4" cutting with the 45 amp shielded consumables vs the 65 amp shielded consumables:

- 45 amp shielded will provide a squarer cut edge and better small hole quality and detail, along with slower cut speeds and a higher chance of bottom dross.

- 65 amp shielded will provide a bit more taper on the cut edge and in holes, faster cut speeds and less chance of bottom dross.

So...if faster cut speeds are important, use the 65 amp shielded consumables at the book cutting specs, for better quality use the 45 amp shielded parts at book specs. Jim Colt Hypertherm
TTS
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TTS »

TTS,
What feedrate do you cut at? If I get over 21 ipm I see some detail loss.[/quote]

48 ipm. I'm cutting a sheet right now, I'll post up pics when i'm done.
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by i_r_machinist »

TTS,
Do you have an air dryer in your system?
TTS
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TTS »

Not yet. It's on the short list.
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

As mentioned already, the PM65 will cut at 45 amps with a 100% duty cycle. That's the main reason i went with the 65 over the 45.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I can cut 10mm parts all day with the 45, I have yet to have it over heat, the fan comes on but not once has it cut out even cutting base plates out of 12mm.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You will be hard pressed to exceed the duty cycle of a Powermax 65 when cutting 1/4" steel at 65 amps. Duty cycle rating for the system is calculated when cutting 5/8" steel at 65 amps on a 104 degree F day. Often when cutting multiple parts just the traverse time between parts is enough cool down time. When cutting thinner the load voltage is lower as well, meaning less power supply output wattage......easier work and less heat for the plasma cutter. Factor in Hypertherm's safety factor in their own specs....and there is little reason to work about duty cycle when cutting thinner than the production rating. Some have mentioned concern when they hear the fan activate......the fan is temperature controlled with the sensor of the key heatsink.....I will activate when it sensed temperature rise, not when near duty cycle temp. Mine Powermax unit fans activate on some hot days when at idle power! Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”