Upgrading from pm45 to a pm85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
f_armer
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Upgrading from pm45 to a pm85

Post by f_armer »

I'm thinking i'll upgrade to a higher amp cutter.
I have a 4x8 Bulltear table with the candcnc controls, I don't have ethercut, whatever was just before that (dthcIII??) bought the table in 2014.
Anyhow my question is, can I just plug and play with a pm85 or is there anything else i need? Or maybe want?? I see that the pm85 has an optional serial port. Do I need this port?

Ive never been completely happy with the 45 on thicker metals, I struggle with bevel in my cuts. Even 1/4" sometimes will have a bevel. Ive tried everything, torch height is correct, speeds are by the book, torch is plumb. If I run slower speeds bevel is improved. It seems I put a new nozzle on just about everytime I cut a small job (especially if it is thick metal)
I guess all that is besides the point, I feel a bigger machine would be better suited, I may have a job coming up that I'll need to cut 1/2" and 3/4" and I don't feel my pm45 is up to the quality of cut that I want to send out.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Upgrading from pm45 to a pm85

Post by Brand X »

You do have to order the CPC port model of the 85.... 14 pin model . Both machines are set for 50-1 on the voltage.. So yes it's plug, and play.I swap back, and forth between my Victor 82 (A-60 specs now)and Hypertherm 65 with zero changes to anything..(except in Sheetcam) So if you have a 14 pin.. (which all powermax 45 came with) then it will be simple as plugging it into your new 85..
f_armer
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by f_armer »

I knew I needed the cpc port. But will I be able to change amperage from Mach3 or will it be the same as the 45? (manually)
Also which package would be the best to order? I was looking at he 087135 but it comes with the remote pendant, I have an oxy/ac torch on the table, would the pendant serve any purpose with that?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Manual voltage control like the 45.. That is where the optional serial port come in. (with the correct hook up kit from Candcnc)
The Pendant will do nothing for you ,unless you own a track burner for your 85.. Not for you O/A on your table. That said,it comes with that deal ..so just file it away, or sell it on E-bay.. 087135 is one of the best values.. I bought that setup, but in the 65 machine.. You can add the serial port at any time, without a huge penalty..
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

You will like how the 85 cuts on the table for thicker stuff, I have noticed less bevel compared to my TD 52 on 1/4 inch but that could be just my settings, I always try to cut fast and then have to slow it down....ugh. The 85 seems to keep the air pressure perfect and that is what I have concluded is a big factor. It's hard to tell but I also think my recent purchase of a refrigerated air dryer works wonders for the plasma arc. The only thing I changed in Sheetcam was my cut settings and now have both in there to choose from. I keep a book with many notes for particular jobs and what works best, I can't always trust the cut charts, but they are real close. I am still learning the Hypertherm, it may take some more time.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Brand X wrote:Manual voltage control like the 45.. That is where the optional serial port come in. (with the correct hook up kit from Candcnc)
The Pendant will do nothing for you ,unless you own a track burner for your 85.. Not for you O/A on your table. That said,it comes with that deal ..so just file it away, or sell it on E-bay.. 087135 is one of the best values.. I bought that setup, but in the 65 machine.. You can add the serial port at any time, without a huge penalty..
Manual amperage control (using the knob) The RS485 option provides for automatic amperage settings and air pressure. Voltage is not a setting on the plasma machine.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Correct, the big Knob on the front of the machine.. ) PS, my Esab 1600 would read Voltage when cutting, and amps when setting it up..

Jaws,
try the shielded 50/55 amp tips on the Cutmaster.. It will get you in the range of the 45 amp nozzles speed wise,and bevel wise..60 amps .250 is a bit much for the cutmaster and 40 are a bit more finicky.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

tcaudle wrote:
Brand X wrote:Manual voltage control like the 45.. That is where the optional serial port come in. (with the correct hook up kit from Candcnc)
Manual amperage control (using the knob) The RS485 option provides for automatic amperage settings and air pressure. Voltage is not a setting on the plasma machine.

Hi,
I just bought the PM 65 and sold my PM 45. So please clarify this question for me too. If I don't have the serial port it sounds like Tom Claude is saying we will have to manually adjust the amperage with the amperage knob on the front of the machine but with the serial port and the RS 485 option it would become automatically controlled by the controller or computer/software. Is that correct? I also was thinking that the air pressure adjustment was something that the PM 65 was capable of doing all on its own is this not correct? :D
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The air pressure is auto adjust . With the RS 485 option you can also adjust it through the software. Like the amps... You can use the control on the front of the machine to set parameters too... Just more ways to do it, with more flexibility in some of the Software tricks using the RS 485
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Sounds like all of the Hypertherm issues have been answered! This job is easy! Jim Colt Hypertherm
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Brand X wrote:The air pressure is auto adjust . With the RS 485 option you can also adjust it through the software. Like the amps... You can use the control on the front of the machine to set parameters too... Just more ways to do it, with more flexibility in some of the Software tricks using the RS 485
Thanks for the response. Can I dare ask This? Do you think it's worth the money to get the RS485 option and parts from CandCNC. I like electronic gadgets but if I'm going to shell out 300.00 to 400.00 on this I am wondering if it will really do much of any value for me. I have a long list of wants and not enough money for all of them. :roll:
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I am fine with mines as is, but the quick marking ability, and the soft start features are useful. The consumable life with copper plus electrodes really has me doubting if I would really need (or get) longer electrode consumable life.. Slowing amps on corners might have some use too, but I am ok without it.. I happen to like the Manual setting on my victor machines, as far as doing anything I need done. Everybody is different in what they feel is useful..$$$ is probably my only issue at this point.. Ohmic sensor option would probably be where I would upgrade first. Not that I can't cut down to .030 without it pretty well..:)
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Thanks for the reply brand x. I really like my ohmic sensor. If nothing else I like using it for setting my z axis zero at the beginning of a cutting project. The LED shows when contact is made and is useful for zeroing without the hysterisys found In a microswitch such as in the floating head. I have not had the opportunity to try the new and improved electrodes yet but these nozzles on the new duramax torch height sure look heavier and probably more durable than the ones I was using on the older PM 45 machine torch.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The difference between the regular RS485 is like having power windows versus hand cranked. Either one gets you there but maybe not with the same features and convenience.

With RS485 the Amp set in the SheetCAM Job file so it sets the Presets automatically (but you have to change the consumables if needed)
It CAN do what we call a "Soft Start" on thicker material where the pierce is done at a lower current . plunge slows down and then it switchs to full cut current at cut height.
It can do a soft plasma peck to center-mark holes. By lowering the AMPS and defining the peck height in the tool (drill tool in SheetCAM) you can mark at least down to 14ga with out penetration
It will let you lower current but the control delay will become an issue . Its better just to turn off the DTHC on corners if diving is an issue.
The Hypertherm errors codes are displayed in English on the screen if tripped.

Would a discount on the Hyt_Connect RS485 help? We just announced a deal to give a $100 rebate on the purchase of the HYt-Connect RS485 kit to any recent buyer (last 90 days) of either a Hypertherm Powermax with RS485 (including the new 45XP) or a purchase of the RS485 field upgrade Kit from Hypertherm. All you need is a proof-of purchase (photo or scan of an invoice) from a valid Hypertherm reseller or table vendor and you get the rebate. Makes the kit cost just $85 bucks.
The RS485 will work with both the DTHCII and DTHCIV as long as they have the PWM module at the plasma. You need the 4 port RS485 hub (which you have by default with a DTHCIV) . If you don't have the 4 port hub already, there is a HYt-Connect kit ("A" that has it in the kit) The older 2 port RS485 from years ago will not work but the older PN200 hand control will work with the newer 4 port hub.

Jim Colt can give you the Hypertherm Part numbers for the RS485 systems and the field upgrade kits

TLC
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

tcaudle wrote:The difference between the regular RS485 is like having power windows versus hand cranked. Either one gets you there but maybe not with the same features and convenience.
Guess I will keep what I have now. Love my manual windows, and last car built without Anti-lock brakes.(One less computer, and I don't have to throw the car away when it goes tits up..)Did the first brake Job at 120,000 miles.Still had life left too.. :mrgreen: Sometimes is best to step off the tech bus right where you are most comfortable. :lol:
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Brand X wrote:
tcaudle wrote:The difference between the regular RS485 is like having power windows versus hand cranked. Either one gets you there but maybe not with the same features and convenience.
Guess I will keep what I have now. Love my manual windows, and last car built without Anti-lock brakes.(One less computer, and I don't have to throw the car away when it goes tits up..)Did the first brake Job at 120,000 miles.Still had life left too.. :mrgreen: Sometimes is best to step off the tech bus right where you are most comfortable. :lol:

I guess it all depends on where you decided to get off the train. I have buddies that stepped off a long time ago and have no interest in computers, CNC, smart phones , Social Media or Driverless cars. They got off somewhere between tube radios and the microwave oven :D

Having been forced as an engineer, into the solid state revolution of the 70's and the PC revolution of the 80's , and then the world of microprocessors, I guess i am on for the full ride. not too hot on Social Media, or smart phones BUT with my failing eyesight driverless cars sound kinda interesting. The world of CNC is going though what I witnessed in the PC revolution and later in the communications industry (office phone systems). Not much changed for 20 years then the pace took off and the rate of change accelerated. Maybe CNC machines will get like old cars and be worth more fully restored with original parts after they 30 or 40 years old! The new machines will tap into your brain waves and the robots will run get the material and the machine will cut out what you are thinking about....on second thought , may be NOT!

Gotta run now my new walking robot (Shelia) just brought me my iPhone and forced me to take a call Hard to type with Shelia holding one arm and sticking an earbud in my good ear... :shock:
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

I just wanted to say how much I love reading posts on this forum some of the banter is really a great way of getting through the day
They say laughter is the best medicine?
Well done Tom I hope Sheila does the cooking as well :lol:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Unfortunately Shelia fell down the stairs twice last week, now she just walks in circles mumbling something about "firmware update" I keep looking for a USB port but its hard trying to catch her on each orbit . Last time (before the tragic accident) we tried to let her cook she stuck a pizza in my ear and made a sound like a old time ringing phone. May need more than a firmware update to work that out

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”