Powermax 45

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Powermax 45

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

So I tried to fire up the cutter tonight to test it out. The torch fires about 20% of the time. The rest of the time no air flows through the torch and the torch kead makes like a clicking sound like something is trying to be forced through it. I turn the amperage knob to the left and the air purge works every time. Torch button on Mach3 makes the relays etc to click in the hypertherm, and the CandCNC box shows that the torch is firing. No error codes on the machine itself, air pressure is at 90psi (im pretty sure) and the air is sent through a water seperator, refrigerated dryer and then throuhg a filter coalesor and also a high grade filter.

Anyidea whats going on?
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45

Post by tcaudle »

BensPlasmaAu wrote:So I tried to fire up the cutter tonight to test it out. The torch fires about 20% of the time. The rest of the time no air flows through the torch and the torch kead makes like a clicking sound like something is trying to be forced through it. I turn the amperage knob to the left and the air purge works every time. Torch button on Mach3 makes the relays etc to click in the Hypertherm, and the CandCNC box shows that the torch is firing. No error codes on the machine itself, air pressure is at 90psi (im pretty sure) and the air is sent through a water separator, refrigerated dryer and then throuhg a filter coalesor and also a high grade filter.

Any idea whats going on?
Pull the CPC connector and manually fire the torch using pins 3 & 4 (short across them. If that works then its in the cable or the PWM module. Reconnect the CPC cable and find the two terminals on the 4 wide connector at the PWM (other end of the CPC cable) and short across the TORCH SWITCH pair and see if the torch fires normally. If not but it fifes down on pins 3 & 4 then the cable is bad. Check the pins in the 14 pin connector and see if any have gotten pushed back into the shell If yoo can't make it fire at the CPC connector then its at the plasma cutter.

If this is a hand torch setup on the 45 did you do the "secret" bypass?
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi Tom

Thanks for the point in a direction. I will check this tonight when i get to the workshop.

It is a machine torch, no secret trickery there.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi Tom,

I went to the workshop last night and started the process of diagnosing the issue. I unplugged the CPC connector and wiggled everything around and made sure all the pins were ok. I plugged it back in and manually fired te torch from mach3. It fired and i have not had a problem since. I will keep this thread in mind for if it was to ever happen again.

I can't thank you enouhg for your input

Ben
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi Tom.

It has happened again. This time the fault was not fixed with a restart or the old remove and replace solution. I tested everything as you explained and im pretty sure i have a faulty PWM controller. I recorded a little video to show how i did it.

https://youtu.be/cJktbvEAoeM

Let me know what you think. Any chance of organising to have a PWM and a Feather Touch controller sent ASAP? I might attempt to call you at some point tonight, but it will be like 2am my time to call. Will see how i feel about no sleep.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”