My NEW PM65 083300! Update

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

My NEW PM65 083300! Update

Post by kkroger »

So I received my PM65 this afternoon and WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!?!?!?
This is the model that comes with the Machine Torch and the Hand Torch and the item I can't seem to get a handle on...
the Pendant... Trying with all my currently excited faculties to figure out what the use is of this thing??? But now I have one!

Well anyway I just cut 3/16 at the same speed I usually would be cutting 20 ga with with my PM30 on about 20 Amps...
at 45 Amps... SWEET!!!
Wiring it in was a bit tight with that HUGE cord...

Having a minor issue with the CandCNC Toolset When I write the code in sheetcam it errors out as soon as I open it in MACH3, Not SURE it is the toolset or Sheetcam or ??? meh I will figure it out if I have to write new tools for different materials. Wish the thing came with at least a sample Fine Cut tip... I have All in one kits coming from Hyper4less but they have yet to ship...

Finally Jim Colt, I too am having an issue taking apart the machine torch to make it the mini... the short barrel won't some off over the torch head, seems there is a blocky plastic bit (black) that is hanging up on a ledge inside that barrel... Any hints?
Last edited by kkroger on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: My NEW PM65 083300!

Post by jimcolt »

Are you following the step by step directions in the operators manual for changing from long torch to mini-torch? I have done a dozen or so....it has always been straightforward and easy. If you can forward pictures of the issue maybe I can help..

The pendant is designed for firing the machine torch if you are using it on a non-cnc machine...such as a track burner or pipe cutter. There really is no use for it on a cnc machine application.

Jim Colt
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I believe it is the plastic electrical plug that is catching on a rim inside the threaded area at the "Top" of the short barrel.
I can't get to the issue I think if I could get that unplugged it would come out, but I have no way to do so.
I took out all three screws where the head attaches to the short barrel but I am hitting a hard stop before any of the stuff that needs to be disconnected comes free of the short barrel.

inside that barrel there is a threaded section at the bottom of that inside the barrel is a ledge this black plastic connector (I can only think that is what it is) is hitting that ledge, it is about an inch or so inside that barrel. not much to take a picture of but I will try when I get back home this evening. It doesn't matter much, it works fine with the long barrel!
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Didn't have time to do anything this evening, perhaps tomorrow, not top of the priorities...
Hyper4less is so far unimpressive, $400 worth of consumables apparently is not enough to get their attention.
Ordered last week, so far order has progressed to "Processing" with no further activity... Ordered the Plasma Cutter FRIDAY morning, Got it Monday Afternoon, So far Hyper4less can't be bothered to do anything... Order placed same day.

The Machine however ROCKS!!!! Chopping stuff from thicker materials at 90IPM with NO DROSS, Cuts that would have to be done at 18ipm with the PM30... Haven't tried to cut thicker plate than 1/4" yet...
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: My NEW PM65 083300! Update

Post by kkroger »

OK, I THOUGHT I was following the instructions...
I didn't realize there was a short section called the coupler...
I didn't realize the Positioning Sleeve, the Coupler and the Mounting Sleeve were actually different parts...
So the Longer section is the positioning sleeve, the Coupler is the short 1" section and the mounting sleeve is the section that the torch head actually attaches to with the three screws, the part it was getting caught on was the black plastic section on the torch body where that small electrical connector is a sort of half moon shaped plastic bit where the cap sensor switch is... the ledge it was catching on was the coupler...
Got it now, but my laser crosshair won't mount on there now... :(

I have to say this also.
Hyper4less is a bit disappointing, I await consumables, Order has been "Processing" for several days now, How long can it take to box up two items and ship em? I only have 65 amp stuff, the LWS (ALL OF THEM) are Hypertherm Dealers, Matheson, Airgas, Hoenschild, Harris, Praxair, NONE sell fine cut or 45 amp for the PM65, they only sell the 65 amp stuff. They don't handle any of the consumable kits...
Welder Source charges a bit for the consumables but they would have arrived with the cutter in two days... Hyper4less doesn't answer e-mails, will try to call them tomorrow, LD call for something that could be handled in an e-mail...
R&M Welding Supply in Kentucky is Hyper4less, Also "Welding Supply" dot com offers Hypertherm parts as well as a "Cheaper" "PX" prefix Hypertherm "Type" part... so beware of that fact when purchasing. Weldersource doesn't sell the bulk packs only singles, Hypermax doesn't sell the bulk packs, Welding Supply DOES but... Hyper4less does but...
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I haven't ordered from Harris Welding (yet), but they seem to offer free shipping via ebay:

Finecut nozzle:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221353763306

Finecut shield:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271271155929

HTH
Paul
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

I get just about all my consumables through Harris. Never had any issues with them.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I ordered what I needed to get going from baker will see if my stuff from hyper4less ever arrives!
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I ordered something from Hyper4less a couple of months ago. They are slow, and they don't send you an email when they ship. I sent them an email asking when they were going to ship, and the same day the order showed up. They could do a lot better job of communicating with their customers.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Harris WILL treat you right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Companies that I have had good luck with
CandCNC
PPLLC
Hypertherm
Miller
Cyberweld
Weldersource
And I presume Baker Gas will do OK
I don't like Harris because they only do business through E-Bay... Their website doesn't have any way to purchase, not even a link to their E-Bay Store... Just a pet peeve...

I just ordered a Feather Touch, RS485 connect kit, and a spare PWM from CandCNC...
I also just ordered the RS485 Add On Card kit for my PM65 from Baker...228539

How long did it actually take to get your stuff from Hyper4less?
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

We must be thinking of different Harris'. I can put items in a shopping cart at http://www.harrisweldingsupplies.com/. They charge shipping, but sometimes show a sale price on their website, but not on eBay. Now, I haven't actually ordered through their website, so maybe they run it through the eBay store.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Hmmm Well there is a Harris Local to me and they don't have what I needed.
granted they could order it... but then again so can I...

One of my LWS told me he didn't stock the fine cut consumables at all... nobody buys them... Well if you DID then I would buy them here... but since you insist on ordering them well I can order them and pay less and no tax or shipping if I buy enough...
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

I've ordered from Harris both through their website and through their Ebay store. Once in a while there will be a difference in price that makes my decision, though usually the free shipping on Ebay wins.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Every authorized Hypertherm distributor (and you can find them all at www.hypertherm.com , click on "where to buy") can get you any consumable part for any Hypertherm torch. They generally only stock the parts that their regular customers buy on a repeat basis, however they can order any part that you need, and in any kind of packaging that is available from Hypertherm for those parts.

I think one of the biggest issues is that the person at the dealer (behind the counter or answering the phone) is probably not the absolute expert on Hypertherm systems, consumables and part numbers....and that is because Powermax systems are only one of many products they are responsible for selling. If you have a list of part numbers when you talk to a distributor sales person, and you ask them for price and delivery, then they should be able to accommodate you....perhaps with a call back. Hypertherm stocks all consumable parts...and if a distributor places an order early enough (I think it is 3PM Eastern), it will ship the same day.

My suggestion....be prepared with the correct part numbers when contacting a dealer for a Hypertherm parts order. The best source for consumable part numbers for your system is the operators manual. Parts are illustrated and part numbers are clearly marked. If you don't have the manual, you can download it for free on the www.hypertherm.com site, or you can (on the site) click on the torch and consumables tab and go to "consumables by system", where you can see even better illustrations with clear part numbers for every plasma torch we have ever sold. You can even print out a rather lengthy consumable part by system catalog.

Of course with specific consumable part number questions you can contact Hypertherm customer or technical support and they can help. I am always here as well....although I may take a day or so to respond! The last thing we want is for consumables and parts to be difficult to get for your Hypertherm system.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Yup Jim, I made a laminated card with all the appropriate consumable numbers and types on it, I also purchased a couple all in one kits to start out, ostensibly to see what the lifespan is like for the various ones and to see what I should buy in bulk...

Hyper4Less delivered today more than a week from order date... Baker has delivered twice since FRIDAY... FREE...
But they DID deliver... They have great prices and I guess if you are in no hurry it would be OK but they have lackluster communications with customers... guess they don't really need any...
dwwelder
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dwwelder »

jimcolt wrote:Are you following the step by step directions in the operators manual for changing from long torch to mini-torch? I have done a dozen or so....it has always been straightforward and easy. If you can forward pictures of the issue maybe I can help..

The pendant is designed for firing the machine torch if you are using it on a non-cnc machine...such as a track burner or pipe cutter. There really is no use for it on a cnc machine application.

Jim Colt
Hey Jim I would like to change my machine torch to a mini torch. I don't have directions. Do u have or know where I could find the step directions in the operators manual for changing from long torch to mini-torch? Can't seem to find them online. Thank u
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

What Hypertherm system? If you have a Duramax long machine torch it can be converted easily. If you have the Duramax Lock torch...it cannot be converted to a mini-torch. The Lock torch comes as standard equipment with mechanized versions of the Powermax45XP.

If you have the Powermax65, 85 or 105 system the directions are in the manual in the "Torch Setup" section. If you bought a Powermax45XP and are using the Duramax torch (not the Duramax Lock)...then you will need to use the directions from the Powermax65/85 operators manual. If that is the case...let me know and I can copy the directions from the manual and email them to you. Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”