do I need the serial port on a PM85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
oneweldingpapa
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

do I need the serial port on a PM85

Post by oneweldingpapa »

Someone please give me a quick answer. I ordered a Hypertherm PM85 but it does not have the serial port. I may be able to change it since I just placed the order today at my LWS. Jim Colt are you out there ? I plan on using a cnc package from CandCNC. Some help please. :D

Perry
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: do I need the serial port on a PM85

Post by CNCCAJUN »

3. Power supply with CPC port, selectable voltage ratio and serial interface port (RS-485)? This additional port (serial data) is for use only with cnc machines that are designed to interface to this serial communication link. It sends all diagnostic information to the cnc, and allows the cnc to control air pressure and amperage. This is used on more sophisticated cnc machines to automate the plasma cutting process similarly to the way it has been done for years on high end industrial machines. The serial port is compatible with Hypertherm brand CNC controls, and CandCNC (http://www.candcnc.com) electronics and software as well.

Above from Jim
Last edited by CNCCAJUN on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Yeah - Jim's the one you want. The way I understand it is that the serial port will give access to the plasma cutter for greater control. Maybe Voltage, air, etc. I don't think it's necessary, but at the same time, I'm getting myself ready to order one and I will order the RS-485 serial interface port with it - Waiting for CandCNC to offer a setup for LinuxCNC.

I believe this can be ordered later and field installed, but again, Jim will know that for sure, too.

HTH
Paul
oneweldingpapa
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by oneweldingpapa »

OK. Thanks. I will find out what it would cost to install later. I know there are a lot of machines out there doing well without it. I will wait and see what Jim has to say on the matter.

Paul. There is a good article in the last Digital Machinist concerning Linux. Volume 9 N0. 3 Fall 2014. Migrating from Mach3 to LinuxCNC. I have been curious about how well it would perform on plasma myself. It"s a good article. Check it out. Be interesting to hear what Tom has to say on the matter. Later.

Perry

ps. Howz thing"s down in lousy anna there CNCCAJUN ? :D
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Thanks Perry, I haven't read the Digital Machinist in awhile. I need to pick one up.

I've only used LinuxCNC and the latest version can really smooth out the path with it's tragetory planner. Tom mentioned that the LinuxCNC drivers might come out in 2015.

I'm not sure where you are at, but I see the serial port is available online. Prices that I found were around $175. Maybe as low as $159.00. Installation instructions are available online - See attached.

Good luck...
Attachments
806710r2.pdf
Powermax65/85/105/125 RS485 Serial Interface Port Installation
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry I did not catch this sooner....you can always call Hypertherm customer service with questions like this or email me directly at www.hypertherm.com . The serial port kit is easily field installable....you need it if the cnc machine you are using requires this form of control.

Jim Colt
oneweldingpapa
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by oneweldingpapa »

Thanks for the information urbnsr. That looks very straight forward to me. I will leave my order alone . They gave me a decent deal. Machine,180 deg machine torch,75 deg hand torch and remote pendant for less than $3500.00. I like supporting the local guys when I can. What goes around comes around. :D
oneweldingpapa
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by oneweldingpapa »

jimcolt wrote:Sorry I did not catch this sooner....you can always call Hypertherm customer service with questions like this or email me directly at http://www.hypertherm.com . The serial port kit is easily field installable....you need it if the cnc machine you are using requires this form of control.

Jim Colt
Hello Jim and thanks. I am getting a hypertherm so I won"t have to be calling customer service ! :D Thanks for the link.

Perry
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

No problem, Perry. Sounds like a nice deal. Does that include the CPC port? I priced a similar unit at my local shop. 25' machine torch only, remote on/off, CPC port - $3900+. I *want* to support the local guy. They will loan another unit out if unit is under warranty. They'll rent a unit out when out of warranty work is needed.

Paul
oneweldingpapa
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by oneweldingpapa »

Yes Paul. It comes with the CPC port. They treat me pretty good there. Nice bunch of guys.

I am in Oregon by the way.

Perry
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The RS485 Serial port opens up the ability to REMOTELY control the Cut Current (AMPS) and Air Pressure (PSI) rather than use the knob on the front of the 85.

The matching kit from CandCNC is the Hyt_Connect RS485 SIM kit that lets you control those parameters from the software (and G-code) It also shows the error codes in English on the screen coming from the Hypertherm. It is kinda like power windows on a vehicle. Handy but not necessary. All of the other settings for automated plasma can be done with just the CPC interface into the DTHC.

If you do a lot of production cutting pf different material, or your table is run by untrained operators (or you are really forgetful) then having a system where the software automatically sets the cut current and prompts you to check the consumables might save some scraped jobs. Another interesting use is a "Soft Pierce " for thicker material that lets you define a lower/slower pierce current /speed and can increase consumable life by at least double. Part of that is the "Soft Peck" that lets you turn down the current when pecking the centers of holes for drilling later. Marks, but does not pierce the metal.

So enjoy your 85 and if you want the added features upgrade the 85 to have the RS485 Serial port and get the software/hardware interface kit for CandCNC to give you the interface.

The RS485 serial port is not supported by very many vendors and NEVER used on a manual plasma. A lot of dealers have never seen or sold the option and do not have a lot of exposure to CNC plasma to begin with. Best thing to do is get the part numbers from Jim Colt or from Hypertherm of exactly what you want and they can order it by the number.
oneweldingpapa
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by oneweldingpapa »

Thank you Tom. Probably not a question for here but would you be familiar with what it would take to operate a cnc brake or do I need to go elsewhere for that information ? I will be getting the serial port for my machine !

Regards: Perry
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

As in Press Brake? Outside the fact we have one manual and one with CNC backstop all I can offer is : Keep your fingers out of the jaws! you don't need a lot to setup a CNC backstop . A single axis CNC positioner and a motor and linear drive
You can get standalone single axis position controls where you just enter a distance and hit a run and it moves to that point. You don't really need a PC based control to do a single axis unless you want to run a complex series of different bends on the same piece.
maverick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by maverick »

For
Jim Colt
Is it possible to retrofit a PM85 in the field with a serial port? I thought I was getting one when I ordered mine and ordered the controller from candcnc with interface . what are my options at this point.
Thanks Ralph
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by pertneer »

4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

As pertneer said....it is easy to install....

Jim
jeeptang
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeeptang »

hey oneweldingpapa, old thread I know, but what is the name of the place you got your plasma from? I cant find a deal that good, I'll contact them to see what they can do. Thanks

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”