Powermax 85 current draw

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
No Class
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Powermax 85 current draw

Post by No Class »

I am looking at purchasing a table that is equipped with a hypertherm powermax 85. My concern is the power consumption. I will likely be using he unit in the 40-60 amp setting range. I have a 100 amp service to my shop but I will need to run both it and my compressor simultaneously. It is a three cyl single phase compressor which is currently running off a 40amp breaker. Not an electrician so I am looking for some input or experience. Sorry for the relatively vague description.

No class
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Powermax 85 current draw

Post by CNCCAJUN »

The best way to do this is get a clamp-on amp meter. Just borrow one, they are cheap. Clamp around (1) leg of your power, force compressor to run and then you can measure how many you use at startup & how many you use while running.

Then you can use the accurate amp draw numbers from Hypertherm. I doubt you will be drawing the full 58 amps that is the max draw of your Hypertherm.

If your startup amp draw on your compressor & your required amp draw from your Hypertherm exceed your main breaker you need to make some changes. That could be as simple as running a delay type of breaker for your compressor.

Get some "real" numbers together and post again.

Hope that helps . . .
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

actually your max amp draw is probably closer to 70 (max draw) depending on voltage input.
you more than likely are fine with your 100amp service but you must also take into account lights, computer, fan?, other possible misc items.
i run my 85 on a 50amp breaker and have not tripped it yet cutting 3/4 carbide plate my syncrowave 350 pops it on occasion when i turn it on
my unprofessional opinion is that you should be ok but its gonna be close
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I have a Curtis 3 cylinder 5/hp two stage,lots of shop lights, and had a Cutmaster 151. Cutting as thick as it would go, never a issue on my 100 amp sub-feed.. Same with my Esab 1600 powercut. As long as you compressor is not a 7.5 hp single phase motor, I can't see the Powermax 85 having one issue ever.. I would not think twice myself. Could run all my welders full tilt too. (big amp draws too)
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax85 will draw about 40 to 45 amps when running at 45 amps output cutting 1/2" steel on a 230 volt input power line (single phase). It is designed for a soft start.....so does not put a big load on the circuit when firing....like electric motors and older tech plasma cutters do. I have used my 85 (on a 60 amp, 230 volt circuit) for 3-1/2 years....most often at 45 amps, about 1/4 of the time at 65 amps, and rarely at 85 amps output....have never tripped the 60 amp breaker.

Remember, when you cut thinner material...even at the same amperage output, the current draw from your AC line will be lower than for thicker material. This is because the arc is shorter requiring less plasma load voltage. The Hypertherm amperage draw ratings in the operators manuals are for cutting at the highest output power (amps) and the thickest production rating for material. It is rare that you will ever draw that much power.

My shop has a 100 amp entrance. My compressor runs on 230 volts and draws about 22 amps steady state, more on startup. Never had an issue, although sometimes when cutting thick materials at high power....my florescent lights tend to flicker a bit! Generally I am not welding at the same time as cutting (Millermatic250) although yesterday my son was cnc cutting 18 gauge steel with Finecut consumables for 10 hours straight and welding while the machine was cutting. No issues.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
jackleg007
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jackleg007 »

hi jim...are you cutting 1/2 inch at 45 amps?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You can cut 1/2" at 45 amps.....here is a picture of parts cut with that process. Of course if you have more than 45 amps you can cut it better and faster at 65 amps. The specs for cutting 1/2" at 45 amps are listed in the Powermax45 cut charts, if you have a Powermax65 or 85 we list max thickness for the 45 amp process as 1/4", because you also have the 65 amp process.

here are some 1/2" steel parts cut on my Plasmacam machine at 45 amps.

Jim Colt

IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
jackleg007 wrote:hi jim...are you cutting 1/2 inch at 45 amps?
jackleg007
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jackleg007 »

wow...very nice cuts for 45amps
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Smooth motion, good height control and a good plasma torch operated at book specs will give you cuts like these every time.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

jackleg007 wrote:wow...very nice cuts for 45amps
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Jim,

I guess I'm lazy. Where can I find these settings for the 45Amp tip. Will this précis 1/2 plate.
CandCNC Blade Runner Dragon cut 620 Ethercut + DTHCIV
Precision Plasma 5 X 10
Mach 3
Sheetcam
Hypertherm Powermax 85

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”