Is my powermax 1250 dying??

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Is my powermax 1250 dying??

Post by runninwild400 »

I was cutting 10 gauge all day Friday with no problems, Saturday when I started cutting again something wasn't right, the parts were almost welding themselves back together the slag was so bad. I replaced electrode, nozzle, adjusted height control, adjusted air pressure, adjusted speed,nothing I did would get it back to cutting like before until I started raising the amperage. To get it to cut like normal I had to run my 40 amp nozzle at 55 amps. Anyone ever run into this before? On a second note I have noticed for some time now that the fan kicks on way more then it use to, I hardly ever heard the fan running when I was using fine cut consumables but it seems to kick on quite a bit now even with the fine cuts. I have taken the cover off and made sure everything was clean so I just don't know. I have lots more to cut but I don't want to run the machine until I can figure out what's goin on. Anyone have any ideas? Jim have you ever heard of this?
Brian
Metal-Magic
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Is my powermax 1250 dying??

Post by jimcolt »

I know you are probably not going to believe this, but it sounds like an air flow/pressure problem. The Powermax units are digitally controlled power supplies....it is very close to impossible for the amperage output to change.....generally if there is a power supply problem that limits current output...it simply will shut down before the torch fires. Low input air pressure or flow.....or a restriction or leak inside the Powermax1250 will act exactly the same as turning down the amperage. You can compensate for low air flow by increasing amperage....unfortunately that will decrease consumable part life as well as cut quality.

1. Install an air pressure gauge at the rear panel air inlet. Not 10' or 20' away from the unit...it must be right at the inlet. Put a 60 or 80 amp set of consumables in the torch, power it up and turn the amperage knob fully counter clockwise to start the air flow to the torch. Watch the newly installed rear panel pressure gauge. Before the air flows the gauge shoul be at the full pressure of the air system in your shop....when air starts flowing out the torch you will see the inlet pressure drop. The Powermax1250 needs enough flow to maintain a minimum of 85 psi at this inlet pressure gauge when a 60 amp or 80 amp nozzle is in the torch. Anything below that will affect cut quality.If below 85 psi....check out your air system (any filters, moisture traps? Are they clogged, saturated?)

2. If the inlet gauge stays at above 85 psi flowing.....then refer to your operators manual to disasseble the onboard filter regulator. You could have a plugged filter.....it would then need replacing. If the internal filter looks clean and is not full of moisture, then you may have to disassemble the internal plumbing connections and solenoid valve....there could be some debris or dirt lodged somewhere causing a flow restriction.

3. (And you maybe should do this first!) Have you replaced the retaining cap? Have you replaced your swirl ring? Each of these can cause your exact symptoms. Have you checked the torch oring? Last but not least....are you sure you have genuine consumables? If you bought them online and got a great price....they could be Chinese copies....they use the same packaging and parts numbers as the originals...even claim the patents and trademarks!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG
powermaxpressuregauge 002.JPG
runninwild400 wrote:I was cutting 10 gauge all day Friday with no problems, Saturday when I started cutting again something wasn't right, the parts were almost welding themselves back together the slag was so bad. I replaced electrode, nozzle, adjusted height control, adjusted air pressure, adjusted speed,nothing I did would get it back to cutting like before until I started raising the amperage. To get it to cut like normal I had to run my 40 amp nozzle at 55 amps. Anyone ever run into this before? On a second note I have noticed for some time now that the fan kicks on way more then it use to, I hardly ever heard the fan running when I was using fine cut consumables but it seems to kick on quite a bit now even with the fine cuts. I have taken the cover off and made sure everything was clean so I just don't know. I have lots more to cut but I don't want to run the machine until I can figure out what's goin on. Anyone have any ideas? Jim have you ever heard of this?
runninwild400

Post by runninwild400 »

Thanks for replying back so quickly Jim, I will start checking everything you listed and let you know what I find, thanks again.
Brian
Metal-Magic
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Jim,

I've also got a 1250 but fitted with a Duramax machine torch, which has an air flow specification. If I ever wanted to measure the actual FLOW, not just pressure, is it measured at atmospheric pressure (i.e. coming out of the nozzle for instance) or at the 90 psi, in which case the flow meter would have to be say at the back of the plasma cutter.

I heard one story of a guy that somehow ended up with a tiny peice of rubber in his torch. That problem really led him around the garden path a few times. Measuring actual flow would be the only way of testing for such a situation.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
runninwild400

Post by runninwild400 »

Hey Jim, sorry for taking so long to get back to you but right after I put the post up I had to go out of town for a couple weeks for work, then since I live in the country I have wireless internet with a 68' tower for my antenna and the cables just kinda run along the grass to the house, my wife decided to see how close she could get to the cables with the lawn mower, I just finished connecting them back together lol. Now back to the plasma, air pressure going into the machine looks good, but I happened to notice my torch was coming apart, the large black plastic nut that screws into the top was pretty much all the way out so I removed the torch and tightened everything back to normal, not sure how or if this could affect anything but I started cutting again and I'm having no issues now, thought maybe it was the steel but I cut some of the same steel and all is good. Still not sure what was causing the problem but it seems to be gone for the moment. Thanks for all your help Jim, it's greatly appreciated.
Brian
Metal-Magic

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”