Need help connecting a Hypertherm 1250

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Crawdaddy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Need help connecting a Hypertherm 1250

Post by Crawdaddy »

How do you wire a torch control on a PlamaCam to a 1250 Hypertherm plasma cutter? It was previously connected to a Hypertherm 380. On the 380 there are 4 connectors, where to put two of them are clearly explained in the 1250 manual on J15 and J16, but where do the other two wires/connectors go? Is it necessary that they be hooked to the motherboard as well?

Please answer ASAP or call 580 306-1380 or 580 241-7726.
Crawdaddy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Need help connecting a Hypertherm 1250

Post by Crawdaddy »

Thank you for your reply, however at this time I am using a hand torch. Could you tell me how to wire that up? Thanks Crawdaddy
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

The THC connections should be the same. On my 1250 I cut the purple wire on the connector going out the front of the machine and spliced (with crimp terminals) the wires from the controller into them. I was looking for my disc to maybe give you a better description, but couldn't find it.
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
Crawdaddy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Crawdaddy »

To leatherhands and Lloyd, thanks , appreciate it very much. Crawpappy
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Did you get it to work? The difference in the way leatherhands and I wired is that his is in parallel and mine is in series.
The instructions I received was to cut the purple wire only. Either should work.
Loyd
Crawdaddy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Crawdaddy »

When I hook up the machine tourch (Hypertherm 1250) it cuts at a slope. Do you know why?

Thanks again.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

When you say the torch cuts at a slope.....I assume you mean it is cutting with a bevel. More information will be helpfull:

1. What thickness and type of material
2. What consumable set in the torch (Fine Cut, 40 Amp, 60 Amp, 80 Amp
3. What amperage and cut speed
4. What is your torch to work standoff
5. What is your pierce height, pierce delay time
6. How much bevel (slope) on the edge....and pictures?

Be happy to help.....assuming you have everything above set correctly...you will get very nice cuts with the Hypertherm Powermax1250.
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Hey crawdaddy,
That is the jim colt I was telling you about he can really help you out.
The name of that cad program is DeltaCad it is a really easy to use inexpensive cad
program. I have had AutoCad and still have Design Cad 2d and 3d but you can learn
this in less than an hour save your project to dxf import to plasmacam and get great
parts quickly. A lot easier than using the program that comes with plasmacam.
Loyd
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Jim,
crawdaddy is having a real bad taper to his holes he is cutting. He is cutting 1/2" and 3/4" steel. Don't know the settings etc.
I think he said 1-1/4" dia. holes. He stated he was getting about 3/16" taper.

Loyd
Crawdaddy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Crawdaddy »

The answers to the above questions:

1. What thickness and type of material--1/2 & 3/4 Mild Steel

2. What consumable set in the torch (Fine Cut, 40 Amp, 60 Amp, 80 Amp--80 amp

3. What amperage and cut speed--70lb airpressure, Cut speed 18

4. What is your torch to work standoff--1/16

5. What is your pierce height, pierce delay time-- Pierce height .003, pierce delay 1 sec

6. How much bevel (slope) on the edge....and pictures? 1/8 to 3/16

Thanks.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

So...you are using 80 Amp consumables to cut 1/2" and 3/4" steel. From your answers.....you are piercing way too close to the plate.....and I suspect your nozzle is being damaged on the first pierce.....once the nozzle is damaged it will not cut straight. The manufacturer of the Plasma advertises the 1250 for piercing up to 5/8" steel.....3/4 is a little too thick for piercing...however I have done it many times.....so put a new nozzle and shield in your torch and follow these specs:

For 3/4" steel...set torch cut height to 1/16"....set peirce height to .210" (almost 1/4").....set time to pierce hole to 1.4 seconds, set cut speed to 20 ipm, set the plasma cam (under settings/machine control) to cut corners at slower speed to 1.25" (this will make the machine slow down its speed on holes under this diameter...to reduce taper).....and set the corner acceleration to .1 G (this helps to minimize divots in the hole from sluggish acceleration) Because you are piercing thicker than the 1250 is specified to pierce, I would suggest using anti spatter (mig welding anti spatter spray is available at most weld supply houses) spray on the front of the torch....and make sure you are using the correct shield....which is part numer 120930.....designed for machine cutting.....if you are using the hand cutting shield...you torch to work distance is too high...and this can cause excess taper in holes as well. Make sure you are also using the ohmic contact function as well...and set the plasma cam to set height before cut, and auto calibrate z axis before next cut.

For 1/2" steel...I would use the 60 Amp consumables (nozzle 120931, shield 120930)....follow the above procedures....but use .180" pierce height with 1.5 second pierce delay....and 25 inches per minute cut speed.

Thes work for me....you should have holes with less than about .06" taper.....if you need better than that....you need a high definition plasma or a laser....or a drill!

Good luck.

Jim Colt
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by boodog710 »

I have a 1250 on a Dynatorch table. The Dynatorch operating software allows me the reduce the cutting speed on circles and arcs. I eliminated my problem by reducing the set cutting speed to 40% on circles and arcs.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”