Powermax 1000 / duramax mini compatable ?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
thissideup
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Powermax 1000 / duramax mini compatable ?

Post by thissideup »

Hey all, table is done, but the plasma unit though low hours, is dated. Curious about upgrading the torch to the duramax mini and am wondering if that’s possible and what consumable life is on the duramax relative to the hand torch that came with my 1000.
Attachments
CE4A8FC3-FFBE-4D5C-BFE3-AEE2EBA794B3.jpeg
70619A66-A026-4311-B9B2-A0B66C17C767.png
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 1000 / duramax mini compatable ?

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I think Hypertherm missed the mark on this one (Sorry Jim) they should have built a short machine mounted adapter that would convert the older units to the newer Duramax torch plug mount. That way when you eventually bought a new machine the torch would transfer over..
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

You want the Duramax MRT retrofit machine torch, part No. 228790 (25' lead) or 228791 (50'). It comes with the Powermax 1000/1250/1650 connector. The torch itself is a regular Duramax torch; can be used full length, or converted to the "mini torch" configuration by removing part of the barrel and the rack.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Consumable life is 2 to 3x with the Duramax vs the original torch on a Powermax1000. Cut edge angularity is better with the Duramax as well. Since the Duramax torch has no moving parts...expect better long term reliability as well.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm thought about doing just this, however the connectors, along with mounting brackets that would meet CSA safety standards....along with the required CSA testing would have priced the adapter pigtail higher than our VOC surveys (end user customer surveys) suggested we could sell the adapter for. We will not build a product that does not meet CSA electrical safety....so we used the original connections for torch attachment to the power supply. Jim Colt Hypertherm

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:I think Hypertherm missed the mark on this one (Sorry Jim) they should have built a short machine mounted adapter that would convert the older units to the newer Duramax torch plug mount. That way when you eventually bought a new machine the torch would transfer over..
SegoMan DeSigns

jimcolt wrote:Hypertherm thought about doing just this, however the connectors, along with mounting brackets that would meet CSA safety standards....along with the required CSA testing would have priced the adapter pigtail higher than our VOC surveys (end user customer surveys) suggested we could sell the adapter for. We will not build a product that does not meet CSA electrical safety....so we used the original connections for torch attachment to the power supply. Jim Colt Hypertherm

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:I think Hypertherm missed the mark on this one (Sorry Jim) they should have built a short machine mounted adapter that would convert the older units to the newer Duramax torch plug mount. That way when you eventually bought a new machine the torch would transfer over..
If both units are built to CSA specs then why wouldn't a combination of the same parts not meet the same speck? Was it a mounting issue for the socket from the Duramax torch?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The systems have CSA approval.....change anything on a system and it has to go through the process again. I suspect the difficulty may have been handling the mounting of a quick disconnect...and the fact that it carries over 300 VDC open circuit under some conditions. In reality it makes more sense (if you have an older system like the Powermax1000 with a hand torch) to buy the Duramax upgrade torch that plugs into the Powermax1000 quick connect, and keep the original hand torch so you can swap between hand and machine cutting quickly and easily. You just have to use the original consumables in the hand torch. Jim Colt Hypertherm

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:
jimcolt wrote:Hypertherm thought about doing just this, however the connectors, along with mounting brackets that would meet CSA safety standards....along with the required CSA testing would have priced the adapter pigtail higher than our VOC surveys (end user customer surveys) suggested we could sell the adapter for. We will not build a product that does not meet CSA electrical safety....so we used the original connections for torch attachment to the power supply. Jim Colt Hypertherm

If both units are built to CSA specs then why wouldn't a combination of the same parts not meet the same speck? Was it a mounting issue for the socket from the Duramax torch?
SegoMan DeSigns

Thanks for the clarification Jim,

My 6x12 build is about to go online so I'm in a similar situation, I have the option of sharing the 65 that is on the 2x2 table or getting that hose / torch set-up for my 1250. The shared sounds like a better option to me as I could get a 50' machine torch for the 6x12 that could be used with a 105 down the road..

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”