Vertical bender using JD2 dies

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
cefab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Vertical bender using JD2 dies

Post by cefab »

awesome thanks man this bender looks bitchen! could have bought a normal jd2 for the price but where is the fun in that!

i cant thank you enough!
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

cefab wrote:awesome thanks man this bender looks bitchen! could have bought a normal jd2 for the price but where is the fun in that!

i cant thank you enough!
Yes you could buy a basic Model 3...but then it's not hydraulic, and takes up a bunch more floor space during use, and you need to bolt it to the floor....and it's not nearly as cool as saying "I built this". :cool:
cefab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by cefab »

I Lean wrote:
cefab wrote:awesome thanks man this bender looks bitchen! could have bought a normal jd2 for the price but where is the fun in that!

i cant thank you enough!
Yes you could buy a basic Model 3...but then it's not hydraulic, and takes up a bunch more floor space during use, and you need to bolt it to the floor....and it's not nearly as cool as saying "I built this". :cool:

thats why i did it this way. i dont want to bolt it and i want the hydro. the I built this is cool, but you did all the hard work!!!
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

If you had the capability would you cut this out of 1/2 or would you still do doubled up 3/8's. I don't think my PM65 would have a problem with 1/2 and that would probably be cheaper/easier than doubling up, but the end product wouldn't be quite as thick.

Also I can't open the file on the computer I'm at, but am ordering steel today. Can someone open this and let me know how much steel this takes (I understand that it is drawn for doubled 3/8s)? Thanks.

edit: I also wanted to say that I really appreciate you sharing the work you've done on this. It looks great.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

JEd wrote:If you had the capability would you cut this out of 1/2 or would you still do doubled up 3/8's. I don't think my PM65 would have a problem with 1/2 and that would probably be cheaper/easier than doubling up, but the end product wouldn't be quite as thick.

Also I can't open the file on the computer I'm at, but am ordering steel today. Can someone open this and let me know how much steel this takes (I understand that it is drawn for doubled 3/8s)? Thanks.

edit: I also wanted to say that I really appreciate you sharing the work you've done on this. It looks great.
I think 1/2" would be sufficient, 5/8" would be better. Yes, I would have cut it from single-layer thicker steel if I had a larger plasma.

I can fit one bender on approximately 36"x48" sheet, can get 3 benders out of a 4'x8'. (doubled up, of course)

Thanks!
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

Thanks. I'm going to order up a sheet of 1/2 and see what I can get done.
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

How's it working - any updates? I'm getting closer and closer to affording the 3/8 sheet :mrgreen:
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

No real updates...it works great. :mrgreen: I just got an order for another one. (this will be #6) I'm not trying to sell them, but whenever people visit me and see mine, they want one for themselves. :lol:
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

I Lean wrote:No real updates...it works great. :mrgreen: I just got an order for another one. (this will be #6) I'm not trying to sell them, but whenever people visit me and see mine, they want one for themselves. :lol:
had you considered integrating the spring mounts into the arm -- is there a reason that they are separate?
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

nalin400m wrote: had you considered integrating the spring mounts into the arm -- is there a reason that they are separate?
No reason that wouldn't work. Mine was separate since I added it later (was originally going to put a spring on each side of the moveable arm instead of below the ram). Integrating it would use a little bit more 3/8" sheet, as it's drawn I use up some scrap 3/16" or 1/4". Either way....
guls67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by guls67 »

very nice job on this thanks alot for sharing the files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

I bent tube today!

can you post a pic or drawing as to how you mounted the spring hook? I picked up a 160lb garage spring today and am a little hesitant about mounting the end that I need to cut off/shorten...
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

This picture kinda shows both options for the end loop. Either you grab the last wrap and bend it out, or you can get a little bracket that "threads" into the spring wrap.

Is that what you're asking?

nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

I Lean wrote:This picture kinda shows both options for the end loop. Either you grab the last wrap and bend it out, or you can get a little bracket that "threads" into the spring wrap.

Is that what you're asking?

:roll: duh, what was I thinking?! just bend the next loop. thanks!
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Storm »

this is a great design. very compact and portable... i like! thanks for the share it is going to come in handy :D
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

Has anyone cut this bender out of 5/8" OR 3/4"? I have a Powermax 65 and could do it out of 5/8" but was wondering if that would be better than doubled 3/8" plates. Thank you. Steve
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

I think it would work out great from 5/8"...I just can't cut that thick cleanly enough to bother with. (just the holes mainly) It would be a lot less work with single-thickness stuff, too. ;)
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

This may be a dumb question, but Which model JD2 dies does this fit? They have quite a selection and I'd hate to mess that part up. I have a UB5 bender (https://shopoutfitters.com/ub-5h-bender/) in our school shop and have some of the dies I'd want from there. I'll see if we can work to make them fit so I don't' have to duplicate, but they don't go up to 2" like I'd like to with this.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

dustywill wrote:This may be a dumb question, but Which model JD2 dies does this fit? They have quite a selection and I'd hate to mess that part up. I have a UB5 bender (http://shopoutfitters.com/ub-5h-bender/) in our school shop and have some of the dies I'd want from there. I'll see if we can work to make them fit so I don't' have to duplicate, but they don't go up to 2" like I'd like to with this.
It's designed to use Model 3 dies.
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

Alright, One more dumb question. I cut from the original files and bought form the shopping list. There is a one inch pin listed. I don't see one inch hole anywhere and can't figure out where it goes. Someone tell me what I did wrong please.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

The one inch pin goes through the bushings, and goes through the center of the main die.
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MIFab »

Sweet bender! Im also likin the rig in the background!
COLT
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by COLT »

I am going to build one soon is there anyway we can get a couple different angle of pics?
COLT
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by COLT »

That is exactly what i needed to see. Thanks for the great file and help.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Vertical bender using JD2 dies < Really He's DEAD??!!

Post by Capstone »

Every time this thread resurfaces I just see that a member JD2 has died... can't believe I have to ask, but can the OP or admin PLEASE fix this spelling??
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”