needing mail box idea

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
wing
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

needing mail box idea

Post by wing »

hi i am wondering if anyone had any custom mail box designs or something like that in dxf thanks alot or even some pictures of one many thanks
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: needing mail box idea

Post by srp »

In the US the mail boxes must be approved by the US Postal Service. Delivery may be refused to non approved units. Right now in the Postal Service there are alot of employees who are looking for ways to justify their jobs. I think you would not be long coming up on their radar.
plasmajoe
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmajoe »

srp wrote:In the US the mail boxes must be approved by the US Postal Service. Delivery may be refused to non approved units. Right now in the Postal Service there are alot of employees who are looking for ways to justify their jobs. I think you would not be long coming up on their radar.
Same thing here in Ontario. One good thing is you can contact the postal service and get the requirements to build your mailbox to there specs, that way you do not have headaches later.

Plasma Joe
DumOleBob
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DumOleBob »

CASCADE has a super collection of what they call DRIVEWAY TOPPERS
Find em here....
http://www.customdxffiles.com/
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Installation of curbside mailboxes must meet specific construction standards, which can be obtained from the local Post Office? facility. For United States Postal Service? STD-7, Mailboxes, City and Rural Curbside, you may write to:

US POSTAL SERVICE - ENGINEERING
DELIVERY & CUSTOMER SVCS EQUIPMENT
8403 LEE HWY
MERRIFIELD VA 22082-8101
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

DumOleBob wrote:CASCADE has a super collection of what they call DRIVEWAY TOPPERS
Find em here....
http://www.customdxffiles.com/
>>> Is it Me or does anyone else think DumOleBob has just purchased Cascade Metal Designs.... :lol:

Poor guy doesn't have a chance in hell a building a mailbox looking at these posts.... :?

You can pic just about any design for the post probably, but the box specs are standard in most areas, distance from the road..etc...Jason has great pics so does FX , and many designs on here.
Checking with the local postmaster will score points, just go down and ask them if you can build a beautiful post and box at the correct height and distance for the letter carrier to be able to reach from the cab.

If your in snow country ,remember snow plows don't care how much you spent or how beautiful your box and post are, they just keep the road clear.... and umm accidents..umhh happen... :roll:
Hope this helped in a fun way, I heard some horror stories about mailboxes just yesterday after all the snow we had here in the Minneapolis area.. :o
Good luck

Gary
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Anybody ever watch "Funny Farm" w/Chevy Chase? Remember Crum Petrie the mail man?

WSS
wing
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by wing »

i do live in snow country canada alberta and as long as u got a cardbord box hanging from a post with ur name on it they will put ur mail in it. and snow plows dont dare touch them or it comes off there pay thanks any way wing
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mountain Home »

WhatI have seen alot of is not custom mail boxes, but custom covers that approved boxes can sit in.
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

WSS wrote:Anybody ever watch "Funny Farm" w/Chevy Chase? Remember Crum Petrie the mail man?

WSS

So what you mean is if 'your' mailman is pretty liquored up :twisted: by the time he gets to you you are screwed.... :D
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

ronsii wrote:
WSS wrote:Anybody ever watch "Funny Farm" w/Chevy Chase? Remember Crum Petrie the mail man?

WSS

So what you mean is if 'your' mailman is pretty liquored up :twisted: by the time he gets to you you are screwed.... :D

Yes, I would camo up and bug out too! LOL
mike m
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mike m »

HERE IS A LOCKING MAIL BOX I DESIGNED FOR A FREIND. THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMP TO POST A FILE HOPE IT WORKS

MAIL BOX.pcm

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by admin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by elkriverfab »

I am going to build one from HEAVY plate.........

Every week someone comes by and smashes them with bats.

I have gone through 3 now.

This time when they go to hit it, it will hit back :twisted:

Now they will probably pull it out of the ground.

My neighbor made a real nice one out of diamond plate, made to look like a barn. Painted on windows and everything.

He now has to put it out in the morning and take it inside at night or it gets smashed.

Here is my plan...........

I will put the pipe one up and a hidden surveillance camera in the trees.

I will get a good laugh watching them try to smash it :lol:

I will feel better too when I get a shot of the vehicle that does this and pay them a good ole boy visit in the middle of the night :D

Don't get me wrong, a mail box is a mail box but I am so tired of finding my mail on the ground and stuff missing.

Everybody who welds knows, welding all sorts of crazy stuff together is fun. Especially grapefruit size balls made from long nails.

Now it is possible they could fall out of my truck all over their driveway by accident...............I am just saying it could happen if I was not paying attention :roll:

But I would never do it on purpose.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

Around here not only do they try to hit homers with the mail boxes but they tend to take everything out of them then sort through the mail looking for checks, money, etc.... then they go down to the next box open it take out the mail and place the mail(opened) from the previous box in and repeat the cycle, It's gotten so bad that about 75 percent of the boxes on our road are now the locking type.
I would love to place a camera out there but the house is so far off the road I have never found a camera(that didn't cost an arm+leg) that would send the signal(wired or wireless) that far and still have a useful picture :(

Another ball design thought of course is the walking targets only smaller and instead of round feet nice pointy ones... :twisted:

I just remembered one of the neighbors bought a 'bat proof' box and put it up about a week later I saw him out by the box so I stopped to see what was up and there was a broken half of a bat laying in the gutter and his box had a 2 inch long half inch deep dent in it :o but door still functioned perfect... So I guess it is bat proof :D
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

ronsii,

I think the walking targets with pointy feet sound good.

1/4 inch plate with nice ground points and blades.

I really hate to sound like a crazy person but what you said is exactly what they do here too ( look for checks and steal identities).

I am in a rural area and my mailbox is way far away from my house, but I do have some game cameras that don't have typical white light flashes. (Night vision) so you can't see them go off.

I could put them in the next property and get the photos.

Unfortunately it's not kids doing this but adults that never got spanked when they were little :lol:
I think it's time for a spanking.....

They get your mail and go through it and you either find it in the dirt road a week later or in the neighbors mail box.

I told the sheriff about it and he said "Those crazy kids, what can you do?"

I told him what I could do and of coarse he thought I was crazy (look on his face said it).

Heck, maybe I am!

I sure would like to build a nice decorative mailbox like the ones talked about in this post but it would be stolen or smashed.

I could just get a PO box but damn, I had to use the tractor to drill a post holes for the boxes, bend a bar for three to set on. I'm invested in that project.

I have seen the bat proof boxes but they are not as heavy duty as they claim, pretty thin.

I think I will get a good thick piece of pipe, cut a section out and weld a flat bottom to it.
Install a nice door and weld the whole thing shut (front and back) after dumping the cat box in it.

Install it on a heavy pipe and put it 4 or 5 feet down in concrete. Then get the PO box.

They would keep themselves up at night wondering " How do you get this thing open"? :lol:

When they decide to pull it out and take it home to open it, there will be a surprise in it.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

ronsii wrote:I would love to place a camera out there but the house is so far off the road I have never found a camera(that didn't cost an arm+leg) that would send the signal(wired or wireless) that far and still have a useful picture
Not sure what your budget is, if you have one. If you have electricity there then $60 will buy you a directional WiFi router with an 18 mile range (Ubiquiti NanoStation2 Loco), just add any network camera to it.
I have 3 of these routers on my property, two on barns and one at the front gate, pic from said camera relayed the 800 feet to an old beat up PC that records footage. You can attach multiple cameras to each router, I have 3 using the link to the front gate.
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

Hey Pony, Great idea about using the routers as a relay ;) I just got done setting up a link for the neighbors internet that way with and hadn't even thought about putting video over it..... I wish there was power out by the gate, oh well I guess it wouldn't take too much to run it out there as one of my jobs is working for a company that does site prep and underground utilities ;). Although it usually comes down to the money for materials :cry: unfortunately there isn't a lot of that coming in right now.
One other question for you... How do you like the mightymule opener on you gate ? any problems with it so far? Just curious as I have helped several people I know put these in and most of them have had various problems and they are noisy, so the last gate we did a month ago the owner wanted to spend more so we used a liftmaster opener...And so far (knock on wood) no problems :) and it is super quiet and not jerky at all.

Last gate we put in.
CIMG3528_sm.JPG
My neighbor is doing the stone work and I was handling the welding and dirt work.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

ronsii wrote:One other question for you... How do you like the mightymule opener on you gate ? any problems with it so far? Just curious as I have helped several people I know put these in and most of them have had various problems and they are noisy, so the last gate we did a month ago the owner wanted to spend more so we used a liftmaster opener...And so far (knock on wood) no problems :) and it is super quiet and not jerky at all.
I wouldn't use the Mighty Mule brand again. It is a little jerky, and it is also slow to open. It is noisy, but I'm in the boondocks and its too far away from the house to hear. It is so slow in fact that I ended up making a module at the gate that allows me to open it using a control relay in the video camera. I serve a web page from my video camera PC over the internet. With my iPhone (or any web browser) I can view the video feed, but also open and close the gate. I have a button on the web page I serve that just pulses the open (timed close), one that opens for 3 minutes then auto closes, one for 10 minutes, and one that holds it open with a corresponding release button. I expanded the web page to cover all the cameras on my property, pretty cool!
I work 50 miles away from home during the day, when UPS/FedEx/DHL etc have a delivery they call me and I open the gate - they drive to my barn and leave the package there. I close the gate as they leave - all from 50 miles away.
In a morning I jump in the pickup and open the gate using my phone, by the time I get to down the drive the gate is fully open.

My neighbor has a single gate LiftMaster opener which opens twice as fast as my double gate opener does.

The remote modules for Mighty Mule are also expensive. Before making the phone integration module I added a regular garage door opener module so I could link the Mighty Mule gate controller to the built in "HomeLink" modules in my pickup and the wife's car, and also use the cheaper garage door openers which are not only cheaper but also smaller and better looking. $30 for an ugly Mighty Mule remote was crazy!
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

Pony,

The WiFi router/cam is a good idea.

Cant use it at the driveway, too far from power but I will look into it around the farm.

Would be great to keep an eye on things plus see what the wildlife and cows are up to.

Thanks for the info.
DumOleBob
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DumOleBob »

>>> Is it Me or does anyone else think DumOleBob has just purchased Cascade Metal Designs.... :lol:

Its just that so many requests for drawing are covered by Cascade & SignTorch. If people would just look and be willing to fork out some cash so those two outfits can stay in business, AND keep on giving us some really nice FREE drawings!
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Just a friendly reminder that the title of this forum is "DXF Clip Art File Sharing". Wing just asked if anybody had any designs to share. He/she didn't say they were too tight to purchase anything. :)
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
azfabshop

Post by azfabshop »

So if everyone "forks out cash" to these companies they may give us some free files? I think I'd rather just share files :lol:
wing
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by wing »

i have already have spent the money on sign torch files and as well as cascade files and they are fantastic i wouldnt be with out them and i buy every new file they come out with but they didnt send me a mail box what were they thinking
plasmajoe

Post by plasmajoe »

wing wrote:i have already have spent the money on sign torch files and as well as cascade files and they are fantastic i wouldnt be with out them and i buy every new file they come out with but they didnt send me a mail box what were they thinking
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

plasmajoe wrote:
wing wrote:i have already have spent the money on sign torch files and as well as cascade files and they are fantastic i wouldnt be with out them and i buy every new file they come out with but they didnt send me a mail box what were they thinking
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would send you a mailbox but they get too much for postage........plus my mailman keeps putting bills in it instead of delivering the box to you...... :lol: :lol:
Brian

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”