Walking target

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Walking target

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

Besides, these targets walk/run. the inertia of the bullet is deflected upon impact causing the target to flip and the bullet shatters. The most harm that comes from these targets are spray of the brass as it shatters into fragments when contacting the target surface. Which may harm the shooter if within 10-15 feet. Along with my "Target Limitations Speech" i also tell them about Safe target shooting distance. None of these targets are Point Blank Target. Unless its paper with a sand hill behind it.

I will admit, I was "irresponsible" when doing video of the targets flipping and received a lovely piece of brass in my hand. Lucky it wasn't my head i guess. But AR500 steel would not have stopped that from happening.

I have cruised alot of Gun Owner forums. I have taken advise from Gun Shop owners and friends with enough guns to have there own army. You would be amazed at what these gun owners are shooting at mild steel plate with no reported injuries. Its the "irresponsible" people that are too close to the target or are mis-using the target that get hurt. There are millions of scenarios that "could" happen. Good or bad.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
hooked
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hooked »

thanks scratch! for your dn load and to the others with there input on material and related info!
Section8
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Section8 »

I really don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell anyone what they should or should not do. That"s not what I'm here for. It's just plain physics and metallurgy that I'm talking about, with a little personal experience. What you were saying about mild steel deforming when shot......That is the problem. Well one anyway. If your target deforms, craters, warps, etc. that is causing more probability for pieces (or even intact projectiles) to go flying wherever they might go. Walking targets may be even worse than any other style as they move in random directions when struck with a projectile. The most commonly excepted safety idea behind armored steel targets is that even though they are made of material to break before deforming, is that most will project any ricochet towards the ground and not to the side or further up. I personally don't see any walking target doing this with any consistency, compared to a mounted or swinging target no matter what alloy.

This is also relative to the projectile, rifle twist, velocity, etc. Some bullets are barely being held together once they leave the muzzle because of the above factors, while others can penetrate block walls or more. The thing is, of all the many types of cartridges that one may use to fire at your targets, which ones can you tell me will disintegrate upon impact, and which ones, and at what angle of deformity can fly in an unknown direction?

I build firearms, and maybe everyone I know owns firearms, but that doesn't make us ballistic experts. This may be a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance, but there are millions that own firearms. How many millions of rounds fly through the air each day? Someone you know could very likely be that millionth person. Like I said, I know one of them.

I have studied ballistics for some time now and have great interest in the subject, and will admit that everything I think I know, could very well be bullshit. I just felt compelled to respond, for no other reason than concern for safety for people that I will never actually know. I'm truly not trying to stir up anything here.

This is really not a selfless act of concern! With your customers safety aside, is something happens to you, that's one less person I can download .dxf files from, and that makes my life harder. So please, for the benefit of all of us that can't design layouts worth a damn, BE SAFE!
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

There are dangers in shooting any target. I am neither a ballistic expert or claim to be. I try to relay all my own precautions and personal advise to anyone that purchases a target from me. I don't want to hear someone got hurt. Like i said. Its the people that misuse their firearm or are too close to any target that gets hurt. Safety is always a concern with everything. I appreciate your concern and input on any post. Sometimes there are situations that people dont think of and its nice to have a different perspective on a project.

If i sounded defensive or sarcastic in my previous posts, I apologize. Long days and lack of sleep are getting to me.

James
JJs Custom Designs

PM me with details
Thanks
art&fire
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by art&fire »

Why can't we use common sence anymore?
If it's not 100% your design, It's not yours to share.
If you download the file in order to make money......don't do it.
If you download the file in order to have fun...have fun with it.
If you have any doubts about the safety. Don't use it.
Merry Christmas everybody
TorchMate 2x4
Powermax 65
Torchmate CAD
AutoCad LT
Photo Shop
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

:roll:

Have a great holiday everyone.

PM me with details
Thanks
pemery

Post by pemery »

For fun i made some out of 11ga. worked okay for 22 but 223 went right through. lol thanks for the post.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Mine was made for a paintball business from 14ga.
It didn't go over at all. In fact, it was a detriment to her business.
She rents out guns and people would complain that they weren't accurate enough to hit the walking target.

Well, Duh.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
cjdauthier
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cjdauthier »

Art&Fire wrote:Why can't we use common sence anymore?

So I guess this doesn't apply to logos traced from pictures? Or maybe only if we put the disclaimer that we aren't copying it? I am confused.... :roll:
art&fire
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by art&fire »

cjdauthier wrote:

So I guess this doesn't apply to logos traced from pictures? Or maybe only if we put the disclaimer that we aren't copying it? I am confused.... :roll:
My post was not in general. Sometimes it's a fine line. In my opinion, if I take a picture from an open source and trace it and clean it all up and create the dxf than I call it my own. Besides I do usually so many changes and alterations that it doesn't look like the original anymore.
TorchMate 2x4
Powermax 65
Torchmate CAD
AutoCad LT
Photo Shop
coyote577
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by coyote577 »

I don't even know what to say, other than this is funny.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

coyote577

Post by coyote577 »

Art&Fire wrote:
cjdauthier wrote:

My post was not in general. Sometimes it's a fine line. In my opinion, if I take a picture from an open source and trace it and clean it all up and create the dxf than I call it my own. Besides I do usually so many changes and alterations that it doesn't look like the original anymore.
It seems to me that if you don't want it copied then don't post it, get a copyright and sell it exclusively on your own webpage. When I post a drawing it may be my own design, a hodgepodge of many designs (most likely ) or a alteration/clean up of someone else's work.....BUT I don't repost anything downloaded as my own by just changing the name. That does not improve the quality of the art, or make the "taker" look better.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I agree, I have lots of drawings that I have created that I don't want to share but I have many that I have shared and don't mind who copies or makes or whatever. Basically, If I post it up, I know that it will be copied, If I don't want it copied then I don't post it. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
r08ert209cali
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by r08ert209cali »

Here is a larger version I have used

GoingCustom
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by GoingCustom »

3/8" mild steel. handgun rounds disintegrated and barely left a mark, .223 round put a sizeable dent, .223 steel core military rounds punched through. Buddy I made these for did advise of shrapnel from the handgun rounds, from 20 yards and closer.
Travis
http://www.goingcustom.com
one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Hand gun rounds or small rifle rounds only

PM me with details
Thanks
r08ert209cali
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by r08ert209cali »

Just pick up some AR500 in .250. that will stop .223 and 7.62x39 @ 100 yds no problem. Much safer to shoot.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

r08ert209cali wrote:Just pick up some AR500 in .250. that will stop .223 and 7.62x39 @ 100 yds no problem. Much safer to shoot.
I found you need 3/8s for .223 @ 100 yards. The 1/4 I tried still dimpled a little. At 150 it was holding up much better.
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Storm »

Scratch wrote:If Admin says it's OK, I'll post it. Not that it's hard to copy......
agreed
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
swidick
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by swidick »

Thanx Scratch
Steel Cut
Hypertherm 45, Burntable 4x8, Air dryer
Draftsight, Sheetcam, Mach 3, 1953 Chevy COE Crew 4x4 Duramax 2500
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MIFab »

Mmm just found this post I wish I would of see this post before I did the field testing ! LOL 3/16 mild steel .22 no damage 9mm little denting .40c twisted it 30-06 180 grain @ 50yrds went through it !

Bigbird48
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Bigbird48 »

I cut several out of 1/4 Baltic birch on the laser and shoot them with my pellet gun, what a hoot. Nice because I can shoot in the backyard. Other wise I have to truck way out in the desert for real guns. :D
storiesnsteel
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by storiesnsteel »

That's a great file but I will admit myself I am nervous about uploading much stuff on here as it may be viewed as stolen or what ever. I have taken files and altered them to suite different customers and would love to share them on here but I just don't want to open a can of worms. So I just upload the simple stuff
Greg From Storiesnsteel

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”