Homemade Roller Bender

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Homemade Roller Bender

Post by motoguy »

Oldsarge, are you affiliated with SWAG off road? I just saw this on their site. Looks like a dead ringer to the design you posted.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Tubing- ... _p_89.html

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
VPT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by VPT »

jason.jason.p wrote:Apparently lots of guys are getting those dies, putting them in the lathe and shaping them to just about any size/shape they want with excellent results ....man I wish I had a lathe :cry:

So I was driving by HF the other day and stopped in to get a set of these dies. I opened them up to take 1" stock and went to town on some 3/4x1" bar stock!

jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

VPT have you had any trouble with the set screws that hold the top die to the shaft? Mine seem to get loose after just a few revolutions. I spend more time tightening set screws than I do rolling material. I'm tempted to drill through and install roll pins.
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

jason.jason.p wrote:VPT have you had any trouble with the set screws that hold the top die to the shaft? Mine seem to get loose after just a few revolutions. I spend more time tightening set screws than I do rolling material. I'm tempted to drill through and install roll pins.
Could I suggest that you drill a hole into the shaft and use a setscrew with a dog point. This will hold your roller in place.

Setscrew with dog point.JPG

Larry

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

VPT

Post by VPT »

Thats kind of what I did. I drilled out the small set screw holes HF has in the dies, tapped them, and inserted the next size bigger bolts with tips like shown and also of a grade 10.

The main reason the stock screws constantly need tightening is because the ends keep getting sheared off when you turn heavy.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I machine a flat on the shaft so the set screw has a flat ( more surface area) to grab onto... If it does distort at all, the die won't get stuck on the shaft where the screw "bit" into the shaft. Got the idea from end mill holders...
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

motoguy wrote:Oldsarge, are you affiliated with SWAG off road? I just saw this on their site. Looks like a dead ringer to the design you posted.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Tubing- ... _p_89.html

Not at all... If you look at the very first video I posted of the roller I made I believe it was several months before the Hulk hit the market. I don't really call it my roller, because it's pretty much a combination of a lot of files that were posted on here at the time.. All I did was combine what was posted and refined it a bit. Truth is at the time they were so labor intensive because of my limited ability to make the top carrier with the correct sized holes for the bearings that I pretty much gave up on making them.

Now I'm doing this more as a hobby and really getting into blacksmithing more & more, so I don't really sell much metal art any more... The day job is a huge grind, but only a few years left before I can get back to being in the shop full time to make stuff for the grandkids!
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Oldsarge wrote: Now I'm doing this more as a hobby and really getting into blacksmithing more & more, so I don't really sell much metal art any more... The day job is a huge grind, but only a few years left before I can get back to being in the shop full time to make stuff for the grandkids!
We all got into this Plasma Table thing in different ways. I just wanted to mention that OldSarge's videos are definitely a big part of how I got started and stuck with the process of building my own table. I then closely followed a bunch of your subsequent projects like this one. Here's hoping you continue to be able to do whatever it is that keeps you excited about life; Grandkids, Blacksmithing, etc.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

Larry83301 wrote:
jason.jason.p wrote:VPT have you had any trouble with the set screws that hold the top die to the shaft? Mine seem to get loose after just a few revolutions. I spend more time tightening set screws than I do rolling material. I'm tempted to drill through and install roll pins.
Could I suggest that you drill a hole into the shaft and use a setscrew with a dog point. This will hold your roller in place.

Setscrew with dog point.JPG

Larry
Great Idea! Thank You.
VPT

Post by VPT »

Oldsarge wrote:I machine a flat on the shaft so the set screw has a flat ( more surface area) to grab onto... If it does distort at all, the die won't get stuck on the shaft where the screw "bit" into the shaft. Got the idea from end mill holders...

The HF shafts already have flats on them where the set screws make contact. Interestingly too the shafts seem to be hardened as the shaft itself doesn't seem to get marred ever but the screws would always get mushroomed over or nearly sheared off.

I don't think I will need anything better than the over sized better grade set screws I am using now. I think the 3/4x1' bar will probably be the heaviest I ever roll in mine. At least until "that job" comes up that I need to roll something heavier. lol
blackcatmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by blackcatmetalworks »

Oldsarge wrote:Was digging through my files & found this.

This is the final file I used to make the last several rollers. The sides connect using 1/2" I.D. DOM tube and 1/2" bolts. The tabs weld into the slots at the bottom for attaching to a bench.

The most difficult part of making your own roller is the carriage for the bearings. It should be 1/2" minimum thickness, and has to be very accurate or it will show in the accuracy of the rolled goods. If you have an old Harbor freight roller you can rob the carriage from that & save a lot of time.

The other tabs are for the spring return on the jack plate... If you look at the video I posted earlier in the thread you can pretty much see how it all goes together.

Happy Rolling!

Oldsarge
Thanks for this! What thickness did you use for sides ?
5mcncmetalart
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 5mcncmetalart »

i built one simular to urs and added a 2 hp electric motor and 15 to 1 gear reduction and it really works great we rolled a 25 foot 1 in sq tube made a perfect circle
Billy wesson
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Billy wesson »

This little roller works great .Youse 1in hot roll with a 3in top roller with a 28 in wheel and you won’t have to work as hard .have fun the bearings were on line for less than 50 dollars my students had fun with it
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Just ordered the DRO, Next month the pipe threader; and its time to roll a big one :mrgreen:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

oldsarge, would you mind posting the file again? It seems to have gone missing.

Thank you.
MeticulousFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MeticulousFab »

whiskeymike wrote:oldsarge, would you mind posting the file again? It seems to have gone missing.

Thank you.
I second this request please oldsarge.. Thanks in advance
cetane
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cetane »

MeticulousFab wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 am
whiskeymike wrote:oldsarge, would you mind posting the file again? It seems to have gone missing.

Thank you.
I second this request please oldsarge.. Thanks in advance
I third this.
WESBEECH
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WESBEECH »

Yes please.
lleksam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by lleksam »

HI All
I know tis is a long dead post, but been looking for a new toy for mancave, dose any one have the files /plans for OLDSARGE's Ring roller please?

cheers

Steve
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

No sorry

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”