Covered Bridge Design

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Covered Bridge Design

Post by kaharshs »

Hello,

This will be my first sign made from customer supplied artwork. I opened the file the customer supplied, but I cant get it to trace in inkscape. Can someone please help me. It looks to be a template that they just added their stores name to. I know that I will have to remove much of the detail because pieces will just drop out.

Kyle

Bridgetown Market.svg
Bridgetown Market MUGS 2016 white.ai

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
Bead roller, tube bender, ext.....
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: My first sign

Post by beefy »

Hi Kyle,

correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say the file the customer gave you is the AI format file, and your "trace" is the SVG ????

Anyway it appears you are trying to trace a vector image from a vector image. AI is already a vector format and therefore doesn't need tracing, it is already "traced" so to speak.

I don't use Inkscape but I Googled and it's supposed to open AI files directly so you basically have your vector ready. Now you have to play with the lines and nodes to make the vector ready for plasma cutting.

"Tracing" is to convert a photo type image (a bitmap) to a vector image. A bitmap is basically just thousands/millions of different coloured pixels whereas a vector is lines/curves and nodes, with colour fills within closed curves. When you trace a bitmap the program is simply looking for areas of contrast that it considers a "separation" and will therefore put a line there. Bimaps with gradual transitions of colors trace terribly whereas IF your supplied black and white image was a bitmap, it should trace good due to the black/white contrast.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Hey Kyle,

May I suggest you RUN DO NOT WALK BUT RUN from this job. This is a job for someone with a little more experience. I'm sure I and many here can do this job but the hours involved would be many and I know I charge $60 per hour for design time and a lot of others on here charge more. If your customer has deep pockets and you have a lot of time than by all means go for it. It will be a great learning experience. This picture has too many drop outs, NO it's all drop outs. It could be done but would loose a lot of it's original appeal. It would probably do well as a layered sign. Just my 2 cents which is sometimes worth only 1 or less. Now some of the more experienced people here will tell you I'm CRAZY. LOL

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Kyle,

Here's the dxf for you. It seems that was what you were after to begin with, not a cut ready file. Now, as you stated above, you are going to lose some detail, and have a lot of fixing to do, but this should get you off to a great start. I closed all the paths I was willing to mess with and reduced the node count down from something like 585,000 to a more reasonable 146,000 and some change. Not unusual for a file this detailed to have lots of nodes, but as it was it was all broken lines and, well, each line has a node at each end. Times about a gazillion.

Rick is right, this is not a quick project, but I encourage you to give it a shot. Lots of tweaking to be done, but you will learn a lot, and the more of this you do, the faster you get. Check all the dropouts, check them again, post it on here and ask for someone else to check it, and then, check it again yourself. Don't be surprised if you end up cutting it twice, once when you think it's right, then again after you fix all the parts you missed the first time around.

As far as inkscape goes, you can open a vector file, and export it as another format, such as a dxf and no need to attempt to trace anything. Then open it in another cad program of your choosing, or use Inkscape to clean it up. Lots of youtube videos out there on inkscape and how to use it. I don't much, so I'm not a great resource for it, but I know it will open .ai and .svg files, and re-export in a format of your choosing.

Don't let it intimidate you, just remember, every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard and believe in yourself. Or, as my son is fond of saying, do this just like you would eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

Let me know if you get stuck or want someone to give it a quick once over when you get it done.

Shane

Bridge Town Market dxf.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kaharshs »

Shane,

Thank you, I definitely have a lot a learning to do with the artistic side of designing parts in Inkscape. I am willing to put in the work though. The struggle was real when I had to learn solid works and mastercam, but I persevered and got that down. Learning CAD and program design has served me well in the sheet metal and machinist industry for the past 13 years. If i am learning to use inkscape better, I may as well get paid. I appreciate everyones input and thank you for your help.

Kyle

Shane Warnick wrote:Kyle,

Here's the dxf for you. It seems that was what you were after to begin with, not a cut ready file. Now, as you stated above, you are going to lose some detail, and have a lot of fixing to do, but this should get you off to a great start. I closed all the paths I was willing to mess with and reduced the node count down from something like 585,000 to a more reasonable 146,000 and some change. Not unusual for a file this detailed to have lots of nodes, but as it was it was all broken lines and, well, each line has a node at each end. Times about a gazillion.

Rick is right, this is not a quick project, but I encourage you to give it a shot. Lots of tweaking to be done, but you will learn a lot, and the more of this you do, the faster you get. Check all the dropouts, check them again, post it on here and ask for someone else to check it, and then, check it again yourself. Don't be surprised if you end up cutting it twice, once when you think it's right, then again after you fix all the parts you missed the first time around.

As far as inkscape goes, you can open a vector file, and export it as another format, such as a dxf and no need to attempt to trace anything. Then open it in another cad program of your choosing, or use Inkscape to clean it up. Lots of youtube videos out there on inkscape and how to use it. I don't much, so I'm not a great resource for it, but I know it will open .ai and .svg files, and re-export in a format of your choosing.

Don't let it intimidate you, just remember, every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard and believe in yourself. Or, as my son is fond of saying, do this just like you would eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

Let me know if you get stuck or want someone to give it a quick once over when you get it done.

Shane
Bridge Town Market dxf.dxf
Last edited by kaharshs on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

that would not be to hard if the covered bridge detail was not there, like just an outline with out the boards and "X" in the windows.
I would still make it a layered sign with the trees and letters on top with a solid background.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kaharshs »

I was thinking a two layer sign would be better. I don't want to use stencil letters and I think that the bridge details would come out nicer.
4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Good luck kyle. Keep us updated on your progress. Just like the Little Engine said I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN!

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
RobinHillMachine
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobinHillMachine »

I would cut it as a one layer. What size does your customer want it to be?
kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kaharshs »

As of right now I have free reigns in the sign design. The did not give me a size.
4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
plasmapros
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by plasmapros »

This covered bridge design is awesome and thanks Shane Warnick for your version of it. I will certainly use this design so thanks again for the help guys.
kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Covered Bridge Design

Post by kaharshs »

I never did post a picture of this sign completed. I ended up making a two layer sign that was 3'x6'. I used LED strip lighting in the back. If I did it again and if the customer budget allowed it I would have added a diffuser. I used a cheaper LED kit that cost about $25 off of Amazon. The paint is Rustoleum that I mixed with hardener, thinned with acetone and sprayed from an HVLP gun.

4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

nice work, I'm sure the customer is happy too
I also use the rustoleum trick seems to make a nice finish.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Great work Kyle.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Beautiful!
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Kyle! Stunning!! Wow...thanks for sharing the finished pic. You did a fantastic job on this.

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”