Sundial

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Sundial

Post by Scratch »

To be honest, I'm actually a little scared to post a file to share here sometimes. I don't want somebody thinking that a tree I put in my picture, or a stripe I put in a car cutout, was copied from them. It's a shame that it's come to that... but I digress.... or whatever.... :roll:
I figured that with this simple drawing, nobody's gonna accuse me of stealing their circle, or their number 12. So if you think I stole any of this from you... I didn't, so bite me. :lol:

I actually put alot of work into this, I had no idea there's actually a "science" to these sundial thingys. This one's made for a latitude of 44.9747222 degrees. (my town of Hudson WI). If you want to make one for your town, google your towns latitude, then go here: http://www.sundials.uklinux.net/hd_calc.htm and enter it in. It'll tell you what angle to make all the time lines. The angle of the "gnomon" (that goofy lookin' thing that casts the shadow) is the same as the latitude so that's easy enough.

There's also a "gnomon length calculator" too, but my head started to hurt while trying to figure that out, so I stopped. I figured most people have a watch on their wrist anyways, so these are really just for looks. I just went with a gnomon length that looked close in perspective to all the other sundials I found. It should be good enough for pagan sacrifices I figure....which is all I'm concerned with anyways.

I make these out of 3/16" mild steel, they cut out nice, and weld up quick too, and with the rust finish I put on them, I can turn out one complete sundial, start to finish, in about an hour. I started selling them for $160.00, and I sold all four of them on the first day of last weekends sale. :D I was out of town though, so I didn't get a chance to make any more. Boo Hoo....
I also include a couple stakes made from 1/2" steel, with a 90 degree bend in them for staking them to the ground, in case the ground starts shaking at the sacrifices, and it falls over. (If I lose track of the time, those things can go all night and the wife gets pissed.)

Anyways, I think they turned out pretty well so I thought I'd share them with you guys and gals, since it is spring time and people are thinking about garden art and stuff. I like them so much that the next one I make, I'm gonna get some logging chain, and strap one to my arm! The battery's dead on my digital watch anyways.

Enjoy!

sundial_complete_1.dxf
sundial_complete_1.cdr

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
KenTexFabrications
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Sundial

Post by KenTexFabrications »

:D That is great Scratch! Thanks for your time and work. I have been researching dials on the net, but have not had the time to try to put one together. Thanks again. :mrgreen:
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Great diatribe.....or was that vituperation?.......oh yeah nice file too!! 8-) 8-)
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Ummm wow! That is awesome! I get such a kick out of your posts too!
Thanks for that

April
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Loyd wrote:Great diatribe.....or was that vituperation?.......oh yeah nice file too!! 8-) 8-)
Loyd
Big words make my head hurt more... owww. I don't know what they mean, but I'll take them as a compliment!
peepers
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by peepers »

Thanks man. That is very nice.
ornametals
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ornametals »

nice product. here's a picture of mine. sold lots of these @ 200.00 at street fairs. and for one hours work they're great money maker
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

OOOoooooohhh.... I really like that face on yours! I may have to change mine up a little, mine looks a little boring now... Got some questions for you....
Is your base the same as mine? Looks very similar.
Do you have any tipping problems? How'd you solve that?
What thickness do you make them out of?
That rust finish is REALLY rusty, how'd you do that?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
ornametals
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ornametals »

yes the base is the same. its 22" at the bottom and 4 at the top. and the face is 26. haven't had any tipping problems. i make them out of 10 ga. for rust patina i use 60% muradic acid (spelled that wrong) andv 40% water, clean with metal etch first then apply acid with spray bottle. i also have a nice grapevine face that sells well here. i live in sonoma county wine area. i wish i had a picture but my computer is slowly dieing
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
HA HA HA HA! YOu kill me! :lol:
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Okay, I might be slightly mentally challenged, but how exactly is the base put together? Is it bent, welded, all of the above?

Thanks

April
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

parrotlady wrote:Okay, I might be slightly mentally challenged, but how exactly is the base put together? Is it bent, welded, all of the above?

Thanks

April
If you look at the DXF or the CDR file, you'll see the base is made from 3 pieces. I weld the two thinner parts to the wider main part on the top and bottom. I was going to weld in the middle somewhere but it's not needed IMO...
Jduck
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jduck »

Just wanted to say thanks for the file!! If I ever draw anything half as cool as this I'll def post it up.

Jason
4x8 TM2
Themal Dynamics 151
Miller 250 syncrowave
Hobart 210
ornametals
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ornametals »

there made from 2 full pieces. they slide together. 1 has a gap (+thinkness on the metal) from the top little longer than 1/2 way and the other from the bottem. i also have a slot and tab for the gnom that i weld from the underside to hide the weld. and makes it easier and faster to set the gnom.
TammyVB
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by TammyVB »

Thank you for sharing, Scratch...Have you sold any of these? If so, how much? Thanks again!
erichsmith
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by erichsmith »

Cut the sundial today as well. I even modified it for my longitude. I will weld and paint it tomorrow and will post pics of the finished product. My wife can't wait to put it in the yard. I kept the spacing for the numbers but moved the hour lines to match up with my location. I like the way it turned out and my dad even said he would like one as well. Thanks for the file.
Eric Smith
Hobart Champion
Miller ABP330
Miller 185, 212
Miller Spectrum 625
Miller Dialarc 250
Oxy/Fuel
MSC Mill
Atlas Lathe
Grizzly Mill/Lathe
Scars and 1 understanding wife, 1 uninterested 16yr old girl, 1 thinks daddys work is cool 3yr old son.
RobertJohnson
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

This is crazy, a friend wanted me to cut this exact sun dial for them, I'm glad I was told to look for sundials here. They love your work, and I doubt if I can give them a good deal, your price seems reasonable to me. If I do choose to download your file at a later time, I want to say thank you now. I doubt I'll end up making this for them, cause I think shipping will kill the deal. ;)
artistic touch metals
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by artistic touch metals »

I think what would tip me over is someone taking a piece of art that I posted on here and then claiming it as something they did. Kind of like HUH......WTF...... I made that thing......
Now I have only posted a couple of things on here I made and actually in doing so its kinda like.... Hey guys heres something for you to try and use to make someone smile, make a buck or two etc. I know I have used a lot of these contributions to create artwork. Trees, animals, scenery etc...... I often take a piece out of one file and add it to another to enhance the concepts in my head. Hell I am working on a gate right now that has six or seven separate files cut and pasted into it. When its done I will post it on here.......but I have no idea how to go about thanking the original people who created the individual parts. Thinking about this, if someone took some of what I have donated to this site, mixed it with whatever they wanted and created a great looking piece..... it would make me feel great.... Hey look what he did with that... cool... then I would copy it and add it to my files.....I could really care less if I was thanked or acknowledged in their post........
But if they took the entire post I donated........ then reposted it saying.....Look what I did...... That would be like OH NO YA DONT......
Max Clinger
Artistic Touch Metals LLC.
Plasma Cam ( WITHOUT THE 2 GRAND SOFTWARE UPDATE)
Hypertherm Models 1250 (hand work) 45 (CNC)
RobertJohnson

Post by RobertJohnson »

I've posted a couple of files, and will continue to do so, I think people should thank the originator of a dxf file that they post here. I've asked if someone takes a file of mine, and makes it better, if they could kindly post on my original post to share what they've done. I honestly don't care whether they do or not. I've asked for help on some files, but no one answers. So I just have to get better, and that's fine. My dogs, which seems to be my thing here in town are pretty cool, even if I do say so myself. But it's because I have to up my game. No problemo, I got this. I even post tutorials, on how to trace and stuff that I try, so I think I'm a contributor to the site. And like I said, since most of my posts for help don't get answered, I just have to get better. ;)
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

RobertJohnson wrote:I've posted a couple of files, and will continue to do so, I think people should thank the originator of a dxf file that they post here. I've asked if someone takes a file of mine, and makes it better, if they could kindly post on my original post to share what they've done. I honestly don't care whether they do or not. I've asked for help on some files, but no one answers. So I just have to get better, and that's fine. My dogs, which seems to be my thing here in town are pretty cool, even if I do say so myself. But it's because I have to up my game. No problemo, I got this. I even post tutorials, on how to trace and stuff that I try, so I think I'm a contributor to the site. And like I said, since most of my posts for help don't get answered, I just have to get better. ;)
Well Robert, I?ve been a member here for several years and doing this kind of stuff for many years, and I will say that your art work is way ahead of mine. There is no way I could make some of your stuff better. I would bet that most of the board members feel the same way. I?m not fluent in Corel, I use different programs, but loved your training tutorials on it. As for people copying your art and reposting it, that will happen, don?t let it discourage you from posting. Almost any picture that gets put on the web can and will be copied, I?ve even done it and so have most of the productive members.
Just keep plugging away, lots of us love your posts! :D :D :D

Larry
RobertJohnson

Post by RobertJohnson »

Thanks Larry, guess I'm just very passionate about the metal art! LOL awesome thing happened the other day, but I don't want to jinx it cause it's not a done deal yet, so when the deal is sealed and work and cash change hands, I will post pics!!! So excited!!!
covingtoncg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by covingtoncg »

hank you for posting your work for others to share. I'm just getting started and need all the help I can get. I can't say tank you enough for everyone that shares their work for people to share. Thank you again for sharing your work
Vintage Sign
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Vintage Sign »

Thank you for the file
suity13
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suity13 »

Looks great! I’m going to make one for the in laws! Merry Xmas
cguethert
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cguethert »

You've inspired me to make one of my own. Still in the designing stages but this is what i'm thinking. Still need to see what I'm going to do for a base. any suggestions?

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”