No Rules

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

No Rules

Post by muzza »

It seems that there are no longer rules to this forum or at least they no longer seem to be included in the title bar or sticky here so the main rule that used to be strongly upheld of "If you didn't draw it, don't post it" seems to have gone by the way side. The "No Copyright" one seems to also get forgotten or overlooked a lot and the other more etiquette rather than rule one of not requesting a trace of another persons work seems to also pop up from time to time.

It's not the fault of new members as they can't know the rules if they aren't readily apparent on the board, they may be in the sign up section, can't remember that far back and who reads all that stuff anyway but I've had a bit of a look around and can't see them here anymore.

I'm no saint and like many have cut pieces incorporating designs etc. borrowed from the net but please use a bit of discretion in what is posted publicly. I know it's normally just the enthusiasm of trying to help others and not intentionally trying to jeopardize the future of the this site by posting but as gets pointed out from time to time, a single law suit would be enough to shut this place down permanently.

I'm not the admin so I don't make the rules and I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but if your reading this and feeling a little guilty take it as a friendly reminder to think before you post so we can continue to enjoy this fantastic site and the community it has created.
Murray
aicomp
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: No Rules

Post by aicomp »

It would be nice to know what the heck file you are talking about. If there is a problem, then the particular file would be something to look at.
My $.02
Mike
http://www.PenningtonFab.com
Torchmate 3 with Accumove 3
Hypertherm 1250
Hypertherm 85
Hypertherm 380
Lincoln V205T Tig
Lincoln wirematic 250
Eastwood 175 with Spoolgun
Eastwood 135 Mig
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

aicomp wrote:It would be nice to know what the heck file you are talking about. If there is a problem, then the particular file would be something to look at.
My $.02
Mike
What makes you think Murray is talking about a particular file. It's more of a general statement he's making and sounds like a pretty practical one at that.

Looks more to me his statement is based on various observations over time, not a single file.

He's only thinking of the best interests of this site, and he's brave enough to speak up.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Or he's talking about the buck in a saw blade with a name added to it, I guess he thinks it was his originally.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

My 2 cents . . .

I have spent a lot of time in various forums where I have interest. . .

I have found it is sort of like living in a condo.

Eventually one or more of the neighbors will irritate another of group of neighbors. :D

While this site is well run, operates really smooth and has "real" value beyond hobby/entertainment there is not a lot of presence by moderators. This creates a void in "policing" for rules, manners & content.

So then you have members stepping in and saying . . . HELLO HELLO . . . we can not do this or that . . .someone always will get their feathers ruffled.

The single biggest threat to a site like this is the different perspectives on what is and what is not copyrighted material and when it is OK to copy it. The answer to that is, NEVER . . . . Regardless of your intentions . . . family, charity, etc .

Nobody on here really cares if YOU violate the copyright law, what a lot of people on here, including myself care about is the posting of copyrighted material. Even when it is not for the purpose of sharing a reproducible file.

When we get their attention they will shut this site down . . .ask Napster . . .

As to the reposting of files with minor changes, well that irritates some. Now imagine you went through the trouble and expense of getting a Copyright and someone did that to you. You would strike any way you could to protect what is yours.

Personally, I think once you put it out to be shared you should just assume someone will alter it, reuse it, add to it, improve it, take parts of it, etc.

Typically rules created for a "small" group of any kind have to be revised once the group grows to 10X, 50X it's original size.

My 2 cents . . .
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been busy this month and slacking on monitoring the forums and I am glad Murray has brought this up. Going into the new year we will be posting some simple rules in regards to what should and should not be posted and instructions on how to report posts which may be a problem and keep it up top for all to see.

For the the time being I would ask that anyone aware of any posts that should be reviewed to report them. This is very easy to do by clicking on the Report Post button shown in the image below.
rules.png
2014 was a great year for PlasmaSpider in that many positive changes have taken place to improve the quality of the content and encourage more to share. I hope that 2015 will be equally as positive and I am looking forward to getting it underway.

Have a safe and happy New Years everyone!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Thanks Admin for the awesome job. I look forward to another year of knowledge, production and art.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

aicomp wrote:It would be nice to know what the heck file you are talking about. If there is a problem, then the particular file would be something to look at.
My $.02
Mike
muzza wrote: I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular
Murray
weldor2005 wrote:Or he's talking about the buck in a saw blade with a name added to it, I guess he thinks it was his originally.
muzza wrote: I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular
Murray
Definitively not my file and as stated "not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. I posted a relevant reply on that thread.

I guess I lost my intention to a certain degree to some in my OP. I'm sure there used to be the rules clearly posted here but I could not readily find them so as I pointed out in the OP, it's not the fault of new members if they don't know the rules. I have been coming here for many years and been a member for nearly six years and increasingly see many posts here where the file posted is not that of the person posting it or is of copyright material or a request to do so.

Justin has addressed the rules side of things in his reply here and has plans in place.
admin wrote: Going into the new year we will be posting some simple rules in regards to what should and should not be posted and instructions on how to report posts which may be a problem and keep it up top for all to see.

For the the time being I would ask that anyone aware of any posts that should be reviewed to report them.
My sole intention with my OP was and is to save and protect this site. To the best of my knowledge there is no other like it, yes there are other forums, some larger, some smaller but none I believe that return such help and value to it's members specifically in the CNC plasma cutting industry. I have gained a lot of knowledge here and am very grateful to all the members who have shared in many forms to enable this.

Initially I was drawn to Plasmaspider for the free files but I have come to realize and appreciate it offers much more than that and I would have to say that I have gained a lot more from the knowledge and information than the files themselves. Yes I still download a file if it interests me but not like I did six years ago and I also give back when I can but probably more with help rather than files. I don't really have a lot of natural drawing ability so rely heavily on tracing, I also incorporate components from some of the commercially available files in my designs (I have most of them) or files shared here so I often cant share the whole file but have numerous times helped with requests from members when I could.
Murray
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I'm with you, Muzza. ;)
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

sort of in the same category is the amount of trademark artwork i've seen posted, mostly sports related
typically that will get a trademark owners attention quicker than most copyright issues
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

_Ogre wrote:sort of in the same category is the amount of trademark artwork i've seen posted, mostly sports related
typically that will get a trademark owners attention quicker than most copyright issues
Please click the "Report this post" button in the post when you see things like that since I do not see everything myself. That would be a big help.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I think we are all moving in the right direction . . .

It will be real hard to make a case against the site if we all watch out & hammer "ANYTHING" that violates Trademark / Copyright Laws.

Yesterday I went in to get a inspection sticker at a nearby tire store on Hwy #42. While in there one of the employees came up and ask if I could cut a big LSU Tiger LOGO for the back of his family's tail gating trailer. No sooner I told him I really could not do that, the owner of the tire shop piped up with a "horror story" about his next door neighbor who's wife has a T-shirt and embroidery business at her home.

She had set up in the parking lot of a local hardware store selling her creations. They were NOT exact copies of the LSU Trademark that was common to the area. She was approached buy two guys. The asked her how much stock she had because they wanted to buy it all for their "Bait Shop" After the sheriff's department arrived she called her husband to tell him they were taking her to jail. They towed her SUV & trailer. The sheriff's deputy knew the lady and told her he was sorry but his arresting her was the least of her troubles.Yes Louisiana has laws of their own against trademark/copyright infringement.

Long story short, her husband told this guy when it was all over it cost them close to $15,000.00 in attorney fees, fines,towing charges & loss of stock which was all confiscated from the trailer and their home. He said that their attorney told them they were lucky because this was not really the the type of case they would typically pursue through the federal system or civilly.
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I don't know how other states university's are, but here in Wyoming you can get a license to reproduce the University's logo. You then report how many you have made and pay them a small royalty. Maybe you should check with LSU.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Gamelord wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Thanks Admin for the awesome job. I look forward to another year of knowledge, production and art.
Amen brother
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

WyoGreen wrote:I don't know how other states university's are, but here in Wyoming you can get a license to reproduce the University's logo. You then report how many you have made and pay them a small royalty. Maybe you should check with LSU.
I have checked & they do not allow what is called a Crafter's License.

They use a company that many other schools use to police their Trademark . . .

Very aggressively . . .

I have a thread about this with details . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Zippo
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Zippo »

Only speaking of myself, And I do try to police myself, But I know that whether it be an vehicle, gun, pistol, bowtie, or even an font! I more than likely than not have either caused an breach, violation, infringement, or infraction of the rules governing trademarks. I try not to blatantly post anything of this manner. And there are going to be similarities to others drawings, I know I have been inspired by a characteristic of another s drawing. And with so many drawings, and years of redraws some parts may belong to others I simply have forgotten with time. And I know somewhere along the line, I will come up looking like the north end of an south bound horse... Most venders , I have seem shut down , Stemmed from someone getting PO'ed and reporting them, And the shutdown was not trademark, But either no Fed & State tax numbers, and/ or permits. I feel Admin does one helluva job dealing with everyone and all the issues. And if an post is in question give him an Heads up, let him take action. And not draw a lot of attention to the post.
levesquea
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by levesquea »

Where can I find the rules of sharing on the site. It goes without saying that using copyright material is immoral and illegal.
But I assume if one member post a file for sharing, as long as the file does NOT infringe any copyright & trademark laws...we are free to use it. modify it. share it etc.

The ones that are clearly not usable without possible issues with the law are the company and product logo's.
ex: John deer, Harley davidson, coke, beer companies, university , sports teams. etc.
But there are many sharing sites that include all of the above. It's up to the member NOT TO infringe on the copyrights.

Artwork created by an artist and posted on any site can and will potentially be copied. is that wrong? YES its not exactly original from the copier's point of view. But if the artwork is not copyrigthed nor trademarked then maybe you shouldn't post it. But then how will you get business if you want to sell on the internet?

if I create a piece of artwork with the San fransico bridge in the background, a few birds circling and the suns etting.... then I see a similar art piece with different birds, colors etc..... is that infringment? NO it's copying a pattern with slight modification. If I dont want my designs to be copied or inspiring others... then I should not share nor post any of my artwork !!

I'm not judging nor complaining ... just stating my opinion on this subject.

I was at a trade show last year... I saw my logging truck with inlayed wood just like the one I made and I went over and asked the guy ... where did you get the design? he said...oh I saw that on the internet...I thought it was cool, so I made it. I told him I was the creator of the inlayed but that the file came from the Plasmaspider site. He wanted to know the URL of the site, Needless to say, I did not give him the url of this site. He actually used the same colors....almost an exact copy to my artwork. And he's like 20 miles away from me. It happens and we can't really stop that. He should of at least change the colors and the type of wood...lol
Plasmacam 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Everlast power Tig 255
Affinity Designer
Alibre expert
Vectric Aspire 10
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Make yours look better, charge more . . .

As to 20 miles from you . . .that's back to my suggestion . . .

COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE EVERYONE WITH YOUR LOCATION . . . at least what area of a state you live in .

That would eliminate a lot of this . .I'm sure if he had seen you were 20 miles away he might not have copied it . :lol:

He is now as ticked off as you are . . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
levesquea
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by levesquea »

Good point Steve... i will fill my profile...right now... :)
Plasmacam 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Everlast power Tig 255
Affinity Designer
Alibre expert
Vectric Aspire 10
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Thank you . . .

You Canadians are a busy lot . . .you guys trying to restart the industrial revolution?

Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
levesquea
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by levesquea »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Thank you . . .

You Canadians are a busy lot . . .you guys trying to restart the industrial revolution?

Steve :D

Doing are best Steve.... :D
Plasmacam 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Everlast power Tig 255
Affinity Designer
Alibre expert
Vectric Aspire 10

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”