Custom BBQ Grill DXF

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Custom BBQ Grill DXF

Post by slimshady20043 »

So the story behind this is that I got the idea from the lad that posted the "firepit type harz" file. I struggled getting the pieces to fit originally so I had to completely redraw it. I decided that it would be awesome to make a grill out of. So that's what I did. I have been getting awesome reviews about it. However, I have not sold a single one yet. I am charging $300.00 for the base with legs and hardware to mount it. 6 customized sides, and a regular slatted grill top. Am I out of line or what ? I felt like $300.00 USD was a pretty fair price considering the possible customization. Let me know your input fellas !!

Thanks in advance,

Slim

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

So much to read, so little time.
If you consider yourself a master of something, does that mean you refuse to learn anymore about it ???
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Custom Grill

Post by kbenz »

I run into the same thing with prices. I think $300.00 is cheap for what you have there. The problem is getting it marketed to the right people. which I have not figured out yet either
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

well, when you do.... LET ME KNOW !!!. Another thing, people always want what I have already drawn. They aren't very creative !
If you consider yourself a master of something, does that mean you refuse to learn anymore about it ???
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

I agree slimshady, people need something to go off of, something to get ideas from. Most have a very difficult time coming up with ideas from scratch.
metalart
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by metalart »

I say, stick to your guns with the price (or even up it). This is custom art and metal work. Lots of people expect to get Walmart prices, we try try to inform people that they will have something that is completely different and not something that 1000's of other have and it will last much longer than the cheap knock off's that are imported from 3rd world countries. We bought a stainless steel BBQ from Home Depot (didn't have the time to make one) and a year later it's starting to rust (hmmmmm do you think the stainless steel is maybe not up to North American standards?) Looks like it's my day to give my 2 cents for what it's worth? :)
natewelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by natewelding »

I think 300 is a hell of a deal! Love the grill top btw, thanks for the share! If I may ask, what did you change about the "harz" pit to make it work?
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

well, I wasn't going to say what I changed because I do not want to knock anybody else's work. However, when I cut the original file, the sides just wouldn't line up. So I did some measuring in my drawing program and the sides of the pentagon were all different lengths. Meaning there was no true center, which also means you could never center up the slits for the sides to go in. So I just started from scratch and made sure everything was centered. I am not knocking his work because most people aren't as anal as me. I'll spend an extra 3 hours if I have to for one little thing. I also re located the tabs on the side pieces and added some to the top of the sides for the grill to sit on. And I added 3 tabs with holes for the legs on the base. Was actually a super simple drawing. The grill with the Chevy emblem took some time though. Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom. I didn't think $300.00 was a bad price at all. 6 customized sides included and add $20.00 for a custom design in the top. Seems pretty cheap for what it is. I've had 3 people in the last 2 days contact me about just a grill top to put over a fire pit. A 36" grill out of 3/8 was like $220 or somewhere in there. And they thought I was just nuts ! I just don't know how to make people understand that metal isn't cheap.
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

Oh, and I put on the post, "you can,t get this from China" and some idiot said I bet you can. Lmao. I greased him up and down. Still haven't got a reply. Haha :roll: :lol:
JaredM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JaredM »

Haven't been on here in a while. That pit looks great. Would you mind sharing your dxf file for that? Not looking to make personal profit, need projects for my students.

Thanks,

JaredM
thissideup
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by thissideup »

simple rules i use for pricing.

first assume you had to hire someone with the necessary skills to build these for you. lets say you had to pay him/ her $20/h, in my province it cost me an extra 20% to pay my employees. so that brings the labour cost to $24/h now multiply that by 3, ($72) one third for the worker, one third for the shop and hopefully one third for profit. so if it takes you 2 hours from start to finish that would be $144.

now take your steel, if it's being delivered to your door, mark it up at least 30% to cover the time your money spends tied up in plate sitting on the rack. If not factor in your shop rate ($72) for the time you spend getting it. So if it used $125.00 worth of steel, that's $162.00 for steel @ 30% markup.

So if your customer comes to your door and says I like that can you build it for me, that's how you'd do the math. Now if you plan to build 3 of these and sit them on the shelf until somebody comes knocking, add another 30% to cover the time your money is tied up sitting on the shelf.

lastly if a customer thinks your product is too expensive, smile and nod. Don't waste your breath arguing the quality of your product vs. Chinese imports or anything else. There are two kinds of people out there, those who want to show their friends what cool shite they got for cheap, and those who pay good money for cool shite to show the first group what they cant afford. Only the second group of people will make you money.
thissideup
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by thissideup »

one more thing, as you become more popular and you start getting more customers than you can handle, then start toying with the ratios and percentages. When you get real good, you can throw out the rule book all together and soak your customers for as much as you think they can handle.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Honestly you are low in price, not positive what your steel thickness was, but making a fire pit out of 1/4" ( one sheet ) and then paint and time, I have a no loss no profit one for my mom at $400.

I would also go out on a limb to say you might sell more with a ford emblem. :D
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I built one out of 1/4" also without the grille top and just in materials and labor have what you are asking for a complete product. If I take any orders I could buy them from you and just mark them up. I wouldn't make another one for a customer unless I got around $575.

If you really want to sell them try using the Toyota logo!!! :lol:
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

Only the base and top are .250 . The sides are 16 guage. Will reply more detail later today. Thanks guys.
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

Will also post full dfx files for you all to use.
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

I thought I already had some dxf's attached but not sure where they got off to ??????? Anyways, here is the base, the top(with chevy emblem because I enjoy giving back to the site) and one of the sides ( with the HD logo). I am going to do some tweaking on the slots in the base so that the sides will sit mostly upright when cut from .16 . Other than that, this file is cut ready. Obviously you have to add 5 more sides.
custom grill side HD.dxf
custom grill Chevy top.dxf
custom grill base.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

This is copy and pasted from my description sheet of my grill.

The grill includes:
1. A base with 3 legs and necessary hardware
2. 6 sides customized to your preference
3. A regular slatted grilling top
price $300.00

Options:
1. 2 coats of grill paint add $20.00
2. customized grilling top add $20.00
3. extra sides starting at $12.00 up to $25.00 (depending on design)
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST so those that were interested can see the pricing info. Thank you all !!!
redduke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redduke »

Thanks for the files.
GodSpeedrides
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by GodSpeedrides »

Killer idea man, great work.
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

Thanks man. Also, those of you who previously commented, what u think about my price sheet?
slimshady20043
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by slimshady20043 »

can those of you who cut this post some pics ??? PRETTY PLEASE !
storiesnsteel
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by storiesnsteel »

I think your price is rite on the money. I run into the same problem over and over so I have resigned myself to making the cheaper stuff like address signs and welcome signs. I also do farm and heavy equipment repair, it takes way to much effort to make a steady paycheck from the metal art. I enjoy doing it but I find people just don't want to pay much for it.
Greg From Storiesnsteel
doggone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by doggone »

thanks for files working on grill for school fund raiser.
Andy
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I second the you are a little on the cheap side. I am in an area that is saturated with welders and pipe fitters, who make off with any scrap left from their day jobs on the down low. Deal is, they all have cool grills and stuff at their houses, and everyone knows one, and they all swear they can get this stuff made "Just as nice and way cheaper" by their buddy. I just smile and say ok sounds good. Have a great day. Call me if I can help you with anything and move on. The problem with the buddy deal is all those guys are working 60 hours a week, and unless you are real tight they aren't going to work all afternoon on Sunday their one day off to build you a cool firepit / grill for $150-200. They can keep lying to themselves though. As was posted earlier, the people that want everyone to know what they can buy that everyone else can't are the ones to make money off of. The dude that will buy a "We Don't Dial 911" sign for $35 is not usually the one that will drop $400 for a custom firepit. He will however go buy some cinderblocks and throw an old grill across the top and call it a custom firepit. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just not the right customer base for or products.

For what it's worth, I get $400 for basically the same firepit, all welded sides, sides out of 1/8", top and bottom are 1/4", short legs (6") with just basic designs on the sides. If I have to draw or come up with something spiffy and custom for the sides, then the money goes up from there. If they want a custom pit, I charge them $150 up front deposit before I start drawing, which is applied to their total if they buy. I usually give them a close estimate before we get started so they know what ballpark we are playing in. I make every reasonable effort to accommodate them and draw what they want. If they decide they don't want it then I keep the deposit. Business is business.

If you can sell one to a guy in one of those areas where everyone has a 5 acre ranchette with 2 horses a big house pool etc, then all of the sudden it's 5 then it's off to the races. Hang in there.
Shane
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Thank you for sharing. stick to your guns I am thinking its the wrong time of the year for grills to sell. Bet they start selling in May. Maybe take a few to a local show where outside type stuff is sold.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”