Updating Sheetcam

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Updating Sheetcam

Post by FiveORacing »

I have a basic question about updating Sheetcam. I currently have Sheetcam on my machine computer (dedicated desktop).
Here's my issue. I can't get a wireless signal to the desktop so I'm using the Sheetcam version I originally got.
Can I copy the latest version to a disk and then download it to the desktop or would I lose all my settings or data? The other option is just to bring the desktop into the house and set it up and access the internet, OR, buy some kind of range extender (repeater?) for my wireless network.

Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward getting a better signal to the garage so I can keep that computer upgraded. Has anyone had good luck with extending thier wireless signal? What are you using? I'm using an N router.

Thanks

Joe
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Updating Sheetcam

Post by plain ol Bill »

Short answer is yes, it will install over the old version and you will not lose anything.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

Hi FiveORacing, What a coincidence I just helped the neighbor extend their network with a modified linksys wrt54g router using http://dd-wrt.com/site/index there are lots of different routers this software will work with... the main criteria is that the router itself have enough flash memory on board, a lot of the cheaper/newer models have only 2MB or so which is not enough for full functionality of the software mainly the repeater function. I have also ordered up a range extender to try http://www.frys.com/product/6321041 just to see how it compares with the modded router as we are having a tricky time keeping the link at more than 12 percent signal strength... although the link is 100 percent stable and the internet feed is from a dish it so it is plenty fast for web surfing but it would be nice to have a faster link for large file transfers across their network ;)
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

ronsii wrote:Hi FiveORacing, What a coincidence I just helped the neighbor extend their network with a modified linksys wrt54g router using http://dd-wrt.com/site/index there are lots of different routers this software will work with... the main criteria is that the router itself have enough flash memory on board, a lot of the cheaper/newer models have only 2MB or so which is not enough for full functionality of the software mainly the repeater function. I have also ordered up a range extender to try http://www.frys.com/product/6321041 just to see how it compares with the modded router as we are having a tricky time keeping the link at more than 12 percent signal strength... although the link is 100 percent stable and the internet feed is from a dish it so it is plenty fast for web surfing but it would be nice to have a faster link for large file transfers across their network ;)

Thanks. I am using an SMC Barricade N Router that was supplied by Comcast. I want to keep it as it is the only Router I have found that is compatible with my Bravia wireless TV. I use it for Netflix. It is not one of the supported routers on that site though, so I would probably be better off buying a repeater. I did find these on ebay and I think they are similar to the one you linked above? Not endorsing these, just think it is a guy that is taking old routers and "juicing them up." I wondering if it would solve my problem?
http://cgi.ebay.com/D-LINK-HI-POWER-N-W ... 3cb57f79ef
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

Yeah, there are quite a few people that troll ebay looking for 'fully compatible' routers for putting dd-wrt on and then reselling them for quite a bit more. The drawback with upping the power (which is one of the features that dd-wrt lets you do) is unless you provide for more cooling(fan,heatsink,etc...) you will drastically shorten the life the router/repeater and if you turn the power up too far... POOF cooked radio in the router, now having said that I didn't look to see if that person was adding cooling or not....
As for your setup you would leave your existing router just as it is for either adding a range extender or one of the modded routers(which is essentially doing the same thing as the range extender) you simply place it between(geographically) your SMC router and the device you are trying to get signal to or where it has a good 'line of sight' to both your router and where you are trying to get signal to like trying to get around a building or something..... It just picks up the signal and retransmits it so you are essentially halving the distance between the two original devices ;) Now I am not sure about the 'range extenders' but with dd-wrt you could also set up a multiple link repeater system to really extend distance you need to cover

Return to “SheetCam”