How do you program hole pierce on start points?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
alonzo83
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

How do you program hole pierce on start points?

Post by alonzo83 »

Yesterday I got into an issue of slag getting in the way after the hole pierce on heavy plate using the oxy propoliene

The plate was 1-3/4 thick the profile of the cut was a 1"x 6" slot, so there was a good amount of slag getting in the way of the cut.

I ended up manually stopping the cut and moving onto the next pierce point 12 times then homing the torch knocking off all the slag . Then re running the program and aborting the preheat twenty or so seconds into the preheat and cutting the profile.

is there a means of setting up a layer in sheet cam that will allow me to make all my pierces on the start points, then move to 0,0 and let me knock off all the slag and reduce my pre heat time before beginning the actual cutting? I watched a drill function being used on hole points but I could not make it work on start points.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Alonzo
dynatorch xls, hypertherm 125 generator, Oxy propylene torch, multiple lathes, mills and saws.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: How do you program hole pierce on start points?

Post by Gamelord »

You can try wiggling the torch as it pierces, that may help lessen the slag. Not sure if that would be possible with an oxy setup.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

There isn't a spcific function for this but there are a few workarounds. If you can identify where the start points need to be on your drawing you can draw circles at those points. Puth the circles on a different layer. You can now use the drill function to pierce those holes. This can be tedious to set up, especially if you have lead ins.
Another possibility is to use a modified post processor. This would ignore the cut path and just pierce. If you tell me what post you are using I can do that for you.
As Gamelord sugests a wiggle pierce may also help.
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

Thank you for the replies.

I am using dynatorch xls.

I will try the wiggle but the modified post processor would be the most ideal solution.

Alonzo
dynatorch xls, hypertherm 125 generator, Oxy propylene torch, multiple lathes, mills and saws.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

I don't think I have that post. Could you send me a copy.
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

I can try, not sure how.

Alonzo
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

In SheetCam Options->machine->post processor->Edit post. In the post editor File->Save as. Save it in any convenient folder. You can now post it on the forum or email it to me.
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

Can you pm me your email?

Plasma spider is telling me it is an invalid file extension.

Many thanks.
Alonzo

Return to “SheetCam”