kerf issue?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

kerf issue?

Post by sawdust1 »

I am trying to cut what looks like a donut that has been sliced once. The slice is very thin, only to break the circle. In sheetcam I can import the svg and the picture looks correct. However it chooses to design the cut as two separate circles and does not cut the slice. How can I overcome this? I will attempt to attach the svg.[attachment=0]wood auger.svg[/attachment]

Thank you
David
Attachments
wood auger.svg
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: kerf issue?

Post by tcaudle »

cant do that. You cannot cross an existing kerf with SheetCAm. You can either make the stright line cut in another job then the roubd cutouts or shorten the straight line so it does not crsss on either end of the line or make it an object that is gapped at the line junction. not two parts but one part with the top end closed on both sides , Or...cutout the washer shape and put in the cross cut by hand
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

That makes sense, thank you. I will widen the gap, and move the start point. If I can cut say one inch of the outer circle have it turn into the center and do that next it can then exit and finish the outer circle.
I am making flighting.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Yes it would be one continuous cut. It going to have to pass through the gap twice,. A closed object has to end at the same place it starts.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

Worked perfectly.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

If I don't want a larger gap, I normally convert the shape to an open line so the torch only has to run through the gap once, thus leaving a gap of approx 1.5mm instead of 3mm.

It's still one continuous cut.
Last edited by beefy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

After this cut out I stretch it into a piece of flighting. No one but me knows what is missing!
david

Return to “SheetCam”