Round image in file changing shape when transferred???

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Round image in file changing shape when transferred???

Post by 9er »

So I did a job for a local Church. The files were provided.
I opened them up in Solid Edge, cleaned them up a bit, send to Sheetcam, did the norm, then cut.

I noticed the circle in the "kids" sign was not round anymore. It cut as more of a square with rounded corners.

I looked back in Solid Edge and it's positively a circle. Sent it back to Sheetcam and sure enough, it's not a circle anymore.

Any idea how this is getting changed between the 2 programs?

Here's the raw file straight from customer.
Attachments
mariners logos.dxf
(564.85 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Round image in file changing shape when transferred???

Post by lockeyone »

Did the same thing on mine. I then redrew the circle using Aspire and it opened fine. I also clicked on node editing and that circle had a million nodes, might be part of the issue? I also see in the outreach sign the o's will have drop outs. I have not cut anything on mine yet but trilled I can see that.
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 9er »

Yeah, I fixed all the other stuff. But wanted to provide original file as a starting point.

Weird, right?

Honestly, I should have seen it in Sheetcam before cutting but didn't even notice. But it actually turned our cooler looking than a circle.

Thank you very much, just wanted to be sure I'm not crazy. (well, just a little)
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I took a look at your file in a few different programs I have on my Linux machine.

In Sheetcam, it was as you said, a kinda squared off circle.
In a CAD/CAM program, the circle looked ok. But when I selected the circle, it said it was a spline (not a circle).
In Inkscape, the program displayed a message that it found 69 lines of a type Polyline, and ignored them. The circle did not display at all.

I've had these types of problems before, aways from files supplied by someone else. I think the problem lies in the dxf format itself. There just seem to be a zillion different variations of the format.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

This is one reason I like to draw or assemble images in Inkscape, and adjust so that it looks as I want it, then export it as a PNG image - THEN open a new file in Inkscape, import the PNG file, trace the bitmap outline so you get vectors, and save it as an SVG. SheetCAM is then very happy to gobble up the SVG and produce good G code for me.

Works a treat.
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

I will take a look and see if I can find out what is going on. The dxf file format is a horrible mess. DXF is proprietary to Autocad. They did release the specs for the file format but the documentation is terrible. Due to the poor documentation every cad package implements dxf slightly differently. It doesn't help that over the years Autocad have made undocumented changes to the format as well.

Return to “SheetCam”