Features/benefits of development vs stable version

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Features/benefits of development vs stable version

Post by motoguy »

I'm curious what benefits / features are found in the development version, vs the stable version. I've been using the stable version because, well, I had enough of a learning curve without running "experimental" software. ;) I'm curious, though, what I'm missing out on.

Anyone who uses/has used both, have any input? Everything work ok with CandCNC DTHC IV?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Features/benefits of development vs stable version

Post by acourtjester »

I have been using the Development version for a few years with out problems. I do remember that at the start of using them there is a advantage to using the development version. And I am using CandCNC's DTHC-IV and they send one with their package that is installed in a folder by it self and if you downloaded the development version from the SheetCam site it installs in the Program files folder.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

At one point it was essential that you use the development version (when the transition from 5.#.# was made to 6) becasue certain added features in 6 that allowed custom parameters to be inserted into SheetCAM from the running POST were essential to the operation of the Automatic features of the DTHC. The development version is a test bed of new features not bug fixes. If there is a serious bug in the stables version it will be fixed in an updated version of the stable version rather than rolled into the Development. What you risk in running with the development version only is that it COULD possibly break something you need in your daily operations. At the least you need to run BOTH versions on your system and keep BOTH up to date, You can do that and in some circumstances for plugins you HAVE to have the Stable version or they won't load. I recommend right now that you run in Stable and only use development if there is something released that you either want to try or are advised by a vendor to use. Les is constantly working on SheetCAM but the distinction between development and stable and what it means is important.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I tend to use the dev version all the time now, get the occasional crash but nothing serious.
Three things I really like is:

The toolbar is more customizable as in larger icons and ability to add extra shortcuts.

Start leadin in centre of circles smaller than a set size.

The ability to copy all operations and paste them onto a new part, that's a nice one ;)
scam.png
copy all.jpg
copy all.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

With Les' release of a post for piercing only, I guess I might give the Dev version a try, then. I have both of them on my controller computer. Can I just copy the contents of my "settings" folder in TNG to the Dev version?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

The post should work on both versions. Copying the settings folder will work but you will need to rename SheetCam TNG.ini to SheetCamTNG Development.ini. Make sure SheetCam isn't running when you do this.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Les Newell wrote:The post should work on both versions. Copying the settings folder will work but you will need to rename SheetCam TNG.ini to SheetCamTNG Development.ini. Make sure SheetCam isn't running when you do this.
Excellent. Thanks Les!

Return to “SheetCam”