SheetCam with a CNC Router

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

SheetCam with a CNC Router

Post by msimpson99 »

I purchased SheetCam to use with the plasma machines I am using to research one of my future books but......

I primarily use VCarve Pro to generate my CNC Router toolpaths. It has never failed me, but it is very pricey and might not fit into some budgets.

I just started playing with SheetCam for generating CNC router toolpaths. While there are tutorials available for CNC plasma using SheetCam, I could find nothing for CNC routers, so I thought I would document some of my settings and procedures so others can benefit.

The complete tutorial/workflow can be found here:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/sheetcam-introduction

I want you to know this write-up and test was the very first time I used SheetCam to create a CNC Router Part. I had used it extensively for my KRMx02 CNC Plasma experiments, but the first for CNC Routing.

How did it compare?
While SheetCam takes a little longer to do things for CNC routing, It seems to give better control over what is going on.

Here is the finished plastic gear I created using SheetCam. The tabs are the best I have ever done. and the finish is as good as it gets with soft plastic.
_MG_4602.jpg
_MG_4607.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: SheetCam with a CNC Router

Post by acourtjester »

Very nice I'm sure it will be helpful to many, adding a router to a table expands the projects you can do.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Thanks for the tutorial. You mentioned it takes a little longer to set up Sheetcam than Vcarve. Is there anything I can change to streamline the workflow?
I didn't realize the Mach position marker only works in G21. I'll fix that for the next release.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

Due to the costs of SheetCam Vs Vcarve PRo, I want to start using SheetCam more for routing operations in order to provide my KRMx02 builders more workflow examples.

I'm sure I can come up with some things to streamline things a little.

The first would be the ability to create a shortcut on my desktop that loads SheetCam setup to do my Plasma Cutting. I would then have another shortcut that loads SheetCam ready to do CNC Routing or Milling. Would probably need a way to point to different machine setups. If this already exists, let me know and I will add it to one of my tutorials.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

Having MAch3 update the cursor on SheetCam would be a great help when trying to tweak things. I does work in metric mode, but Im not ready to switch everything over for that.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I started out with CNC routing before I went into plasma. I use Cam-Bam for my routing (which is a Cad-Cam program), but use Sheetcam for my plasma. I've thought about seeing how Sheetcam would work for my routing, just haven't had time to play with it, so your tutorial was helpful. Your thought about having different desktop shortcuts for different operations (plama/routing), much like Mach3 does is a nice idea.

Thanks, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

msimpson99 wrote:The first would be the ability to create a shortcut on my desktop that loads SheetCam setup to do my Plasma Cutting. I would then have another shortcut that loads SheetCam ready to do CNC Routing or Milling. Would probably need a way to point to different machine setups. If this already exists, let me know and I will add it to one of my tutorials.
I must make this more obvious. Make a copy of the SheetCam shortcut. Now right-click on it and select 'properties'. Select the 'Shortcut' tab. In the target box add this to the end of the command line:
-c myProfile
where myProfile is any name you like. The first time you run SheetCam from that shortcut it will copy your current settings to the new profile. After that the two profiles are completely independent of each other.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

Thanks, I will give that a try.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I got it to work. Where does it save the config information. Would be nice to back it up or move if needed.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

msimpson99 wrote:I got it to work. Where does it save the config information. Would be nice to back it up or move if needed.
You will find everything in Help->open settings folder
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I have not found a way to move holding tabs once they have been added. Im having to delete them then add new ones. This is a real pain and makes adjustments tedious. Am I missing something?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

At the moment you cannot move tabs. I'll look into adding that functionality.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I do like they way in SheetCam, I can just plop a tab down directly on the drawing. In VCarve, I have to transverse several menus to get down to the actual tabs. I do a lot of CAM design, and thus, use a lot of tabs. Even on my milling machines, I use tabs.

Now if you added the ability to move the tabs in SheetCam, that would be a deal changer.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Les Newell wrote:
msimpson99 wrote:The first would be the ability to create a shortcut on my desktop that loads SheetCam setup to do my Plasma Cutting. I would then have another shortcut that loads SheetCam ready to do CNC Routing or Milling. Would probably need a way to point to different machine setups. If this already exists, let me know and I will add it to one of my tutorials.
I must make this more obvious. Make a copy of the SheetCam shortcut. Now right-click on it and select 'properties'. Select the 'Shortcut' tab. In the target box add this to the end of the command line:
-c myProfile
where myProfile is any name you like. The first time you run SheetCam from that shortcut it will copy your current settings to the new profile. After that the two profiles are completely independent of each other.
This is handy to know! Thanks Les!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
9toejack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 9toejack »

so your tutorial is the only out there really for using sheetcam with router.
Thanks for this really shed some light on my homemade cnc router table i built.
now a few 2 cents.
on the tabs you can place them where you want. once you have edited the tabs exatly like your tutorial.
you can select the tab tool. and when selected you can delete tabs and place new ones.
this will be very helpful. sometimes the placement is best in an area that will be easier to clean up or for best stability.
tabplacement.png
tab tool.png
tab tool.png (915 Bytes) Viewed 2324 times
here is an example of my tab placements and the tab tool icon for the latest version of sheetcam.

Les, thanks a crap ton for all the insight on how to use for router tooling.
another tip for anyone using different tools.

group all the processes that use the same tool. only do posts with a single tool and i Rename my proceses as step 1 step 1.1 (if another process but using same tool)
step 2 (different tool)
hopefully this makes a little sense and can help others.
heres my router table. (also thinking of adding to my langmuir plasma table so i have a bigger router surface.
myrouter.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Nice looking table for a Router, I have built a few with both router and Plasma. I make is simple to switch the 2 operations with a few bolts and a boom for the router power/vacuum system and the plasma cable routing. I switch out a spoil board with a water table due to the different operations.
You can have a router G-code that uses more then on bit or operation by adding a code snippet to pause the operation. And them do a re-zero of the new bit then continue the G-code, in SheetCam. With you setup you can also add optional tool attachments for other operations too, like pen plotter and Drag Knife with would use a router contour plans in SheetCam.With other software like EstlCam you can do nice inlays too. This guy has done some fantastic work.

Have fun
Tom
DSCN0171.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “SheetCam”