Computer Question

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Masons Forge
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Computer Question

Post by Masons Forge »

I have been drawing and writing code in Bobcad/cam. I just rebuilt a table with all new CandCNC controls so I'm switching to Sheetcam. I'm a little confused. Do I install Sheetcam on both my drawing computer and my table control computer? It is totally different from what I've been doing but I think it will be worth it.
Thanks for the help.
Josh
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Computer Question

Post by little blue choo »

Install it on your control computer and use it to convert your DXF or SVG files to G code for your machine to cut. It will create tap files and store them in Mach. It will create and let you edit your cut paths, lead ins and lead outs ect. I'm sure other can tell you more. Hope your new table does well.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Having it on the table computer give you the ability to make changes if needed to create new G-code. Some small changes you can just edit the G-code in Mach like speed changes. But you may want to relocate multi part cuts or remove selected parts from a cut routine. Then having SheetCam there is a plus, saves time and give you flexibility.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

Thanks
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Depends. Is your shop a comfortable place to do sit down computer work? Are you there alone ? Mine is sitting at about 100 degrees right now. While having it on the control PC makes it easier to re-post, you usually need the drawing software as well to actually edit the drawing. I much prefer to have the drawing and CAM software in my nice air conditioned office and just send the file to the control computer via our Wifi connection. There is nothing to keep you from having it both places and use it how and when you want (unless its B-CAD for drawing and its tied to one PC.)
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

If I remember correctly, and unless something has changed, the license for Sheetcam is for one computer, not one person. I have Sheetcam on the main computer, but would like to also have it at the controller for these last minute changes that seem to keep coming up. I asked, hoping the license was for one person/any number of computers, but it was not.

Return to “SheetCam”