Erroring out on cut rules after update

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Erroring out on cut rules after update

Post by motoguy »

I just installed the sheetcam update (downloaded from sheetcam site). Upon opening the program, I now get a bunch of red "x" error window. I get one for each of the rule sets I have (had?), and it says "unable to find code snippet".

When I go to the rules editor, and choose a rule to edit, the rule details are hidden in red, and says "code snippet not found". I open the rule details, click OK, and it turns black. I do this for each rule, and they turn black. Problem fixed, right? Same thing when I restart the program.

If I create a new rule from scratch, it shows fine in the editor during that session. If I restart the program, it's completely gone (and all my pre-update rules are red again).

Ideas?
Last edited by motoguy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Erroring out on cut rules after update

Post by BTA Plasma »

Now your locked in the update scheme. One of the biggest problems of updating sheetcam is the bugs that are constantly battled update after update. This is the one reason we tell folks do not update. You can always start over but youll need major phone help to get set up again.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Ah shit. I didn't realize that. I thought the "don't update" was a Windows OS thing.

Why would a release of a "stable" version cause it to crash out? That seems pointless. Can I just reinstall the old one?

This sucks. If I can't use any cut rules, I'm shut down.

Who do I need to call, Matt? You or Les?
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Don't update anything unless you have been told by us. Les cannot test how each post processor is going to handle the changes. Mach is another no no. My suggestion is to contact LES first and see what he has to say on your error report. From there you can delete it and re-install with some help from us. M-F 9-5 central time
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

It looks like the issue was due to code snippets not being there after the update (and/or changed tool sets). The cut rules were calling for an S10 (DTHC off) snippet, which no longer existed. Possibly due to the the change in loaded tool sets. I'm confident I loaded my (saved outside the sheetcam directory) toolsets and still had the issue, so scratching my head a bit on that.

With the help of Revo Uninstaller and some aggressive registry scrubbing, I managed to completely uninstall V.17, and reinstalled V.15. Deleted and rebuilt all tool path rules, imported my preferred toolset, found the S10 snippet was not here either, so recreated it (this may have been the root of the original issue). Imported all the posts and otherwise set up the install. Everything appears to be working fine now. CandCnc stuff run/added, posts a file ok, etc. I haven't ran a program yet, but I'll do that tomorrow.

I think recreating the code snippet(s) for V.17 may have fixed the issue, but after your warning, I'm just going to stick with V.15 for now.

On the plus side, I used this time to reorganize my folder structure and standardize some file paths. Which I've been needing to do for a while (still had everything set up basically as it left your shop). Between that and removing a Russian rootkit from my "general purpose" PC...I'm ready to be done with computers for today!
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Code snippets are stored with your tools. If you loaded the wrong tool set you could get this problem. Upgrading to .17 shouldn't have caused your tool set to change though. I try to only fix major bugs in new stable releases to it does concern me rather that you had a problem. Would you be willing to try again? To be absolutely sure you don't lose anything first go to Help->open settings folder. Back up everything in that folder. If anything goes wrong you can install the old version and restore your settings from your backup. Note that you must not have a copy of SheetCam running when you restore the files. You don't need to touch the registry because SheetCam does not use the registry for anything important.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

As long as I know I'll be up and cutting (with support if needed, not shut down with issues), I don't mind giving it another shot. I did create an error report from V.17 before going back to V.15. I'll send that to you before doing anything else.

Return to “SheetCam”