Inkscape import to Sheetcam problem

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
429p
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Inkscape import to Sheetcam problem

Post by 429p »

If i import a .dxf drawing into sheetcam that contains a circle, the circle does not appear on the sheetcam screen. If I do a .dxf drawing in inscape with just a circle, there is no layer . The sheetcam error says "layer does not exist." I can import a .dxf drawing of a square into sheetcam and inscape with out a problem.

Any ideas on this problem?

Another problem is that if I import the same drawing in .svg format, I can import a circle, but the scale is way off- much larger than the original drawing in inkscape. I set up my inkscape in inches, and import into sheetcam in inches.

I have imported .dxf drawings into sheetcam with circles last week, and they displayed fine.

Any ideas? I know I have two problems here, and that I need to work on one at a time. Which one should I work on first?

Thank you for any suggestions. Carr
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Inkscape import to Sheetcam problem

Post by Les Newell »

I'm not sure about the circle. Could you post a sample dxf file here. When you import the svg file a box will appear with a number of options. You can use the scaling option to scale your drawing back to the correct size. I'm guessing it is an inch/metric issue so try using a scale factor of 0.03937

Just so you don't get caught out the scale factor option is common to all file types so if you import a dxf file you will have to change it to something sensible for dxf.
429p
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 429p »

CIRCLE drawing w square.dxf
(4.54 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
[attachment=0]

Les, here is the .dxf file with a square that will import and a circle that will not import. The .03937 factor did not work with the .svg file, the scale is closer, but not real close- maybe i need to keep working on it. i would prefer to be able to import in .dxf since the scale seems to be exact.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

I took a look at the dxf and the circle isn't there. It just contains a square as a LWPOLYGON entity. I just ran some tests in Inkscape and it looks like an Inkscape bug.

What units are you using in Inkscape? If you hover your mouse over the rulers it should show you the units. The default units are SVG units (90 units/inch). You can change the units by pressing <ctrl><shift>D. On the 'Page' tab at the top you should see an option for the default units.
429p
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 429p »

Les, is there another way to scale .svg files without having to reload the drawing to get to the "scale" window? In other words, is it possible to "scale" after the .svg file is loaded in sheet am.

Thank you for responding to my post!
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

429p wrote:
CIRCLE drawing w square.dxf
[attachment=0]

Les, here is the .dxf file with a square that will import and a circle that will not import. The .03937 factor did not work with the .svg file, the scale is closer, but not real close- maybe i need to keep working on it. i would prefer to be able to import in .dxf since the scale seems to be exact.
I opened this file in AutoCAD 2013 and there is no circle in the file... Only a square that measures exactly 2.875x2.875 on Layer_1

Not sure about the square/circle thing, but here is a topic where I delved fairly deep into the scaling between QCAD and Inkscape, maybe it will be of some help. :?:
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
429p
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 429p »

Les, default units in Inkscape are in inches.

"Bug in Inscape?" Maybe you get what your pay for! Can/will you make a recommendation for a bugless drawing program?

Simko, I will look at the topic you suggested.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Carr
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Could you post one of your drawings so I can run some tests.
429p
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 429p »

Les, here are two drawings done in inkscape, one saved as an .svg, and one saved as a .dxf. The .dxf will not open with Sheetcam, the .svg will open w/sheetcam using a 1:1 ratio and be fairly close to the dimensioned drawing in inkscape.

thanks, Carr

circle in a square.svg
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
circle in a square.dxf
(4.54 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

The stroke width affects the dimensions of your part. SheetCam ignores line width so you need to draw your parts with very thin lines. There does seem to be some other issue with scaling as well. I will do some more tests on Monday to try to figure out what is going on.
429p
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 429p »

Thanks Les. I read a post about a user who uses the published kerf width from the manufacturer as the line width. I will try thatwidth or smaller for line width.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Use .001 inches for the stroke width to see the part with the correct dimensions. Changing the path to kerf width will help visualize cuts, but will make the dimensions seem incorrect in Inkscape.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post

Return to “SheetCam”