Victor toolset into sheetcam.

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Victor toolset into sheetcam.

Post by Mr Patches »

Hello everyone! I am a newb here with my first table! Super excited to get it going! Its a 4x8 setup running the Victor cutmaster 82 CandCNC blade runner. I have win 7 with mach3 and sheetcam.

I recently imported a dxf file from inkscape. After going thru the steps from arclight videoes i noticed i have no tools loaded on sheetcam.. So i started digging and found a file for Hypertherm tools. So my question is this. Should i just install the Hypertherm toolset and adjust it to my liking as i use different tool formats.. and if so which hypertherm size should i instal? ( since all of the hypertherm machines sizes are avail for me to install.. 65, 45, ect...) Which one would be close to my TD 82?.... or should i not install the hypertherm tooling and look for a victor tool set dl?..

Also if i dont install any toolsets. Can i just manually install them from my TD book? If so how do i do this? ...

Well thank you for any and all help! This forum seems amazing! Ive already lost massive amounts of sleep reading thru the amazing amounts of knowledge in here!
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Victor toolset into sheetcam.

Post by _Ogre »

hypertherm toolset would be a good start, but have you checked in the manual?
there are 5 pages of mechanized torch tables starting on page 4t-8

http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Upload ... 0-4979.pdf
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Yes sir. I have the manual and thats why i was kind of worried about all the settings being different for the victor... hmm. Well when i bring the hypertherm tool settings over will it be specific for a certain machine? Like the 65. Or 45? Or do i just bring all of the tools over from hypertherm?
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Mr Patches, yes you can manually add the tools from your TD manual to the Sheetcam tool table.

Start Sheetcam, click on the Tools on the top menu bar, then click on New Jet Cutting Tool. on the Jet Tool window that pops up you can enter your tool parameters. It might be helpful to look at one of the Hyperterm tool tables to get an idea of tool numbering and naming.

Good luck, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Ok. Thank you both! I will get busy then! Lol. I was curious about loading my own vs changing from hypertherm to victor.. Sounds easy enough. Thanks guys!
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

my bad :D
since your cutter is 80 amp might be easier to modify the hypertherm 80 tool set
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Np Ogre. I ended up just creating 3 tool sets. One for 40a 60a and 80a settings... now i noticed in the hypertherm tool sets there are rules ... 2 sets of rules.. one is for holes. One is for anti dive... i applied those rules to all 3 of my toolsets as well.. will this be ok? For the victor tool paths... also there was one code i also applied to the 3 toolsets. I see in the job editor i can select whether to use the rules or not as well...

The last question i have ( Sorry if this one seems kind of dumb) The toolsets i created were all for exposed tip cutting... The manual has a list of tools for Shielded tip cutting as well... I noticed the Air pressure is a bit higher with the shielded settings... when i created my toolsets i filed them as exposed tip settings... So which setup is more popular... i didnt see any hypertherm settings that distinguished shielded vs exposed tip so do i need the shielded tip settings?... I imagine i should create them incase i decide to use a shielded tip setup....
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

Hypertherm does have both. There is a slight difference in the kerf-width so I have them listed as shielded or unshielded with the right kerf-width so the offset in sheetcam is correct.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Thank you sphurley.... I noticed the victor manual does not show the kerf width for any tools.... hmmm. Should i just copy the hypertherms kerf settings? Mabie check victors website and see if there are any settings...?
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

you'll need something in there for kerf to get the inside/outside offset correct
start with hypertherm and adjust from there
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Ok. Sounds good Ogre. Thanks! I will do that. Ill copy the settings off the hypertherm 85 for the kerf width settings.. As well as add the shielded tip settings. Thank you for your time!
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Working out kerf width is simple.

Draw a 2 inch square inside a 4 inch square and cut it with zero kert compensation.
Now measure it.
Drawn dimension minus actual part dimension divided by 2 is true kerf width.

Kerf width will vary on material type and thickness, amperage, nozzle used, distance from torch to work, air pressure etc. so best to always do a physical test
Murray
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Awesome formula! Im on it! Thanks Muzza. All i have right now is 80a exp tip so ill start with that setup.
Mr Patches
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr Patches »

Made my first cut tonight! On some 10g using the vic toolset. It worked well. Very smooth! Ill be cutting some more tomorrow. Ill get some pics up as well! Thank you guys for the tips! Im gonna join this forum as soon as i get the funds!

Return to “SheetCam”