M03 Random THC issue

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Red97
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

M03 Random THC issue

Post by Red97 »

Hello,

Had my table about a month now. 2014 ez plasma 4x8, TD A120, Mach 3. sheet cam. Thc says ez plasma 3000 Haven't been able to find out exactly what it is. Used table, no information other than what i was told. Told the table hadnt seen much use.

Cut about 2 4x8 16ga worth of learning/ test pieces trying to get a feel. Some files from here and ones I have drawn.

Have been having a random issue with the torch going to the M03 and stopping.

With thc on it will do the touchoff, go to pierce height and fire the torch and just stay in place with the torch going (3-10 seconds) or until i hit the stop button. Sometimes i can use the mach button to turn the torch off, and on real quick and will continue cutting the file.

Sometimes it is the first M03 or 5th that it will do this. No rhyme or reason i can see, sometimes it will finish the file others it will stop on every M03.

Have tried .dxf and .svg of the same files still have the same issues.

Thc off it will cut fine, just the sheet warps and tip ends up dragging/touching.

Seeking advice on where to look.

Thank you

Joe
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: M03 Random THC issue

Post by WyoGreen »

My first thought is that it sounds like the Arc OK signal is not always making it back to Mach3. Normally the plasma cutter puts out an Arc OK when it detects the current flow caused by the arc starting. If that signal gets hosed somehow, Mach3 sits there waiting for the Arc OK. The THC really shouldn't come into play until the torch has started moving and the voltage has stabilized, so that part of the equation is still bouncing around in the back of my mind.
I have at times shorted the Arc OK leads on my machine to supply the Arc OK all the time to take care of some cutting situation I may be having, so that may be something you can try to eliminate or prove the Arc OK theory.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Red97
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: M03 Random THC issue

Post by Red97 »

WyoGreen wrote:My first thought is that it sounds like the Arc OK signal is not always making it back to Mach3. Normally the plasma cutter puts out an Arc OK when it detects the current flow caused by the arc starting. If that signal gets hosed somehow, Mach3 sits there waiting for the Arc OK. The THC really shouldn't come into play until the torch has started moving and the voltage has stabilized, so that part of the equation is still bouncing around in the back of my mind.
I have at times shorted the Arc OK leads on my machine to supply the Arc OK all the time to take care of some cutting situation I may be having, so that may be something you can try to eliminate or prove the Arc OK theory.

Steve
Thank you.

I didn't notice anything different with the arc ok indicator, i will have to check that next time it acts up.

Mainly seems to have issues on smaller/ intricate pieces.

Shortly after posting I cut out a larger 20"x20" letter sign 3x the amount of code and it cut perfect.

Seems to be more intricate details give the fits?

Sorry for being vague, still trying to digest all the different aspects/terms of sheet cam/mach 3 and how they communicate. Never played with a cad/cam programs until i got the table.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”