Can't get the program to fire my torch

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Can't get the program to fire my torch

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I have a spectrum 625 xtreme with a cpc port running wires from my plasma to my breakout board. My firing pins are the blue and blue/white wires coming from the ethernet cable. I have those wired to my relay and my relay is wired to a 5v output pin and pin 15 which is an output pin on a probotix board. I'm running mach 3 plasma and have the configuration as port 1 pin 15 set for the trigger. When I hit torch on, it wont turn on my torch. It also wont turn on in programs. So far I've been unable to turn it on by the computer. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I try to listen for a click of the relay, but I know it isn't triggering the relay.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Can't get the program to fire my torch

Post by acourtjester »

I cannot say about your exact setup but Mach 3 pin 15 is an input so it will not trigger your plasma torch on circuit.
In mach you need to look at the output pins mine uses pin 9 and it is called output #1. If wired correctly you can manually fire the torch as shown. You may need to change active low to a green check.
trigger 1.JPG
trigger 1.JPG (97.08 KiB) Viewed 675 times
trigger 2.JPG
trigger 2.JPG (98.1 KiB) Viewed 675 times
trigger3.JPG
trigger3.JPG (49.65 KiB) Viewed 675 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

So I should wire my relay to trigger on output 1 and not the one that says trig?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I Googled probotix board and they showed 3 BOB type boards and none had a Trig signal shown so I cannot instruct you as to where you should connect to. The BOB I use has a relay A and B connectors and these are the contacts for the onboard relay used for triggering the torch. I have worked with a few BOB boards and they can very quite a bit in their signal configurations. Your best bet is to get direct information about the board you are using either from your supplier or a member here that uses that board. The info I gave above is about Mach 3.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

I have the pbx-rig board. I have the probotix board hooked to a relay that my torch trigger wires are wired to. The output pin on the probotix board is pin 15 and the other relay wire going from the board to the relay is going to a 5v pin on the board. I set up output 1 in mach for my m3 and m5 commands, and set it up with the port 1 pin 15 for output number 1 and it won't fire when I hit torch on
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Rf... not rig
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Again pin 15 is an input signal pin as shown in the attached image of that board. Here is a statement from the description about the board.
(Twelve of the signals are available as outputs to control motors, relays, or other devices. The
other 5 signals are configured as inputs. These inputs are typically used for limit and home
switches, touch probes, and emergency stop interrupters.)
It could be this board is not for Plasma CNC use, I would contact your supplier, there may be an outside chance you could use the A dir output pin to trigger your relay the other wire to board ground, this is pin 9. This is a guess on my part but does match the above info about the Mach setting!!!
pin 15.JPG
pin 15.JPG (73.08 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

I've been trying to figure this relay for a week with no luck. I've got the jumper on the relay from voc to vcc and I have the ground going to 5v pin on c10 board (the one between pins 12 and 13 on the inputs), the voc going to common, and the in1 going to pin 9. The jumpers on the c10 are pins 2-9 pull down, com=ground, the inputs pull up. I've got my limits and floating torch working on inputs 10-15 with an exception of pin 12. Every time I give power to the breakout board I can hear it trigger the relay. Also, can my arc ok wires go to input 12 and the com next to it with the jumpers set like this? I'm in no way an expert in electronics, just trying to fake it until I make it with this table.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”