Torch dragging at start

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Torch dragging at start

Post by Rtodahl01 »

Hope someone can help.
My torch will come to zero on the Z axis raise to pierce hight , torch ignites then goes lower than zero contacting material. It then drags and the THC takes over and goes up to cutting hieght and cuts fine.
My question how do I adjust for that.
I haven't found a manual that explains all of Mach 3 for plasma.
5x10 wright table
Proma 150 thc
Hypertherm powermax 45
Mach 3 , sheetcam, Turbocad pro 17, inkscape.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Torch dragging at start

Post by Bobkovacs »

What the voltage on your Proma set to? Sounds like you've got it too low, and the torch is trying to go down to get that low of a reading
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rtodahl01 »

I shall check and adjust,
Thank you
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

Just wondering, What have you got the cut height set for in Sheetcam? Iis it around the height your THC takes it to after taking the torch off the metal.

Also what have you got the THC Z axis percentage (%) speed set to? Just in case it is overshooting on initial THC control and diving into the metal, if a high percentage try slowing it down to something like 10 or 15% and seeing if it still happens.

Adrian
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rtodahl01 »

I will try that too.
Going to give Wright cnc a call since it is their software set up.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

It natural for the torch to dive at the start of a cut if the THC is allowed to turn on too soon. There needs to be a dealy long enough to get past the whole pierce/plunge/XY motion cycle. If the plunge is too slow and the torch burns a large divot the voltage does not drop back down from the high pierce voltage It takes some finite time for the voltage to drop back to normal cut level as it starts into a cut. Having dynamic control of the THC on/off in real time affords the user the flexibility to do toolpath related rules. If the Promo has tha ability to set a turn on delay you ned to set that high enough to avoid the voltage spkies on the pierce cycle. While you can use a Macro in MACH3 to enable/disable the THC internal logic it cannot be used in the middle of a cut (like on corners and at the beginning) There is a way to use the M10/M11 command which is the only command that can be used "in Line" with code but your vendor will need to help you implement that.
jwehunt801
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jwehunt801 »

Rtodahl01 Did you get your issue fixed?

if so, what was the cause?

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”