Downloaded File Problem

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
oldmountaincrafts
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Downloaded File Problem

Post by oldmountaincrafts »

Hey y'all, I'm not sure if this is posted in the right spot, but I figured I'd start with the program I use.

I purchased a dxf file that I'm incorporating into a design and the file is in a million little segments. None of the outside lines are joined. I'm still fairly new to the plasma and am under the impression that all lines that can be should be joined. What problems will I run into if I use the file as is and have all the broken lines.

Thanks for any help!
LDR Motionsystems 4x4 plasma
Hypertherm 45
Laser 4 X 4
Full woodshop
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Downloaded File Problem

Post by WyoGreen »

I would think that the plasma would try to pierce at each separate line. I always make sure all the lines that can be joined are joined, so I've never tried to cut a dxf like you have described. I do know when I have missed a line that should have been joined it does strange things.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Bring it into Inkscape, save it as a .PNG image, then open a new file in Inkscape, import the .png image and trace it's outline. then save as a differently named .DXF
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

If the DXF was exported with "line segments" in the curves then import it with SheetCAM and if it does not close the objects you can change the import tolerance that does a line fit process that joins the nodes

If you go to the trouble to recreate the DXF with Inkscape by tracing , save it in SVG. It uses SVG as its native format and preserves arcs . SheetCAM reads SVG files directly from Inkscape files and keeps the circles and arcs intact making a much cleaner file .
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

Could you not open in your cad package, select all and make all the lines continuous. I am thinking the lines are dashed???

Adrian
oldmountaincrafts
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by oldmountaincrafts »

I don't use a cad program, I use either CorelDraw or Ilustrator and don't ever have any problems. This one I purchased from someone else because I just don't have the time to trace and correct. I'm thinking that was a bad choice. I'm thinking some of the lines are dashed but not all. The drawing it all over the place!
LDR Motionsystems 4x4 plasma
Hypertherm 45
Laser 4 X 4
Full woodshop

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”