Manual Z move while cutting

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Masons Forge
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Manual Z move while cutting

Post by Masons Forge »

My THC isnt working right now and I need a quick cut. How can I manually move my Z while it is cutting. I know I wont be able to keep it a the perfect cut height but I can keep it off the metal.
Thanks
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Manual Z move while cutting

Post by tcaudle »

What control software are you using? If its MACH3 then you can set the "use THC even when THC is off" option and use some hot keys (unless you are using the ESS THC inputs) Most CNC control programs do not allow moving an axes externally while code is running .
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

Hey tcaudle
I'm using Mach3. This is still a table I'm working on for a friend (Procut) or better known as POS. You have offered direction before with a Post for Sheetcam that would work with Mach3 and Proma THC. I still can't get a post with a THC in it to work right. It won't trip the floating head and then the second cut it will rezero higher and fire the torch but to high to cut, but the Thc is moving the head. I'm at a loss and there is no real support with Procut, just a forum and that hasn't been much help. I can see how this can make you crazy.
fostern91
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by fostern91 »

I use the F1 and F2 keys on my keyboard to manually adjust height while its cutting.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Masons Forge wrote:Hey tcaudle
I'm using Mach3. This is still a table I'm working on for a friend (Procut) or better known as POS. You have offered direction before with a Post for Sheetcam that would work with Mach3 and Proma THC. I still can't get a post with a THC in it to work right. It won't trip the floating head and then the second cut it will rezero higher and fire the torch but to high to cut, but the Thc is moving the head. I'm at a loss and there is no real support with Procut, just a forum and that hasn't been much help. I can see how this can make you crazy.
Lets stop at the "won't trip floating head" So do you have the Z home wired to the touch off switch on the floating head? In diagnostics do you have a Z home LED com on in the INPUTS when you manually push the torch up and trip the switch? Have you put in the SwitchOffset amount in the POST? It has to be able to go down, touch off, raise up to the offset then continue up to the pierce height. The method to find and set the Z offset is in any of out DTHC manuals. There should be a setting in MACH for THC rate. It controls how fast the Z reacts DURING a cut. If set too high your Z will lose steps and be LOWER than it thinks so the next touch off is too low. I assume you have the Z axis properly calibrated and it moves 1" exactly when told to move that distance? It only knows how far to move based on sending the right number of steps to the motor. Watch the Z DRO versus where the torch tip really is and that should give you a clue as to what is going on.

As his website says: "no support for third party hardware or software" which is about all of the electronics and MACH3 software.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”