I can't scale anymore

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Masons Forge
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

I can't scale anymore

Post by Masons Forge »

I have always been able to change the scale in my Mach3 until yesterday. I know you have to hit enter after you change the scale or ratio but now I can't even type in a new value. When I click on the second screen tab it says scaling off beside the XYZ.
I think I hit a hot key at some point that turned it off. Does anyone know how to turn it back on? I have a job and I don want to have to write a different code.
Thanks
Josh
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: I can't scale anymore

Post by Capstone »

You can scale the size of an item in MACH 3?!

Don't you mean SheetCAM? I've never seen a button that allows you to change the size of an item once it's in MACH3. MACH3 only takes the g-code, which can only be produced by a separate software application, and uses it as the instructions to control the motors.

SheetCAM, can "scale" items, but only as you're initially importing the picture, once it's loaded, you can only generate the tool paths, start points etc, which then get converted into G-code as a ".tap" file for MACH 3 to then read.

If I'm wrong, please post some screen captures so I can learn, because that certainly would save me some time and hassle as well.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

On the main screen where it shows the XYZ location or where you click each one to zero it out. At the right of each there is a box that normally reads 1.000. To cut a part half size you enter .5 then hit enter. Same process but with a 2 to double it. You have to hit enter or it reverts back to 1.
I have always cut several parts like this but now it won't let me change the value. If I click on the second tab at the top that screen shows
Scaling off and I can't find where to turn it Bach on at. I'll work on screen shots
mcagauto
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mcagauto »

I haven't used this before but started playing with it looks like u have to put a plus or minus sign in before the number is the only way I can make it work. Hope this helps
Home Built 5*5 table pm45
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I looked at it too and it looks like it adds or subtracts by the value you put in.
It starts out with 1.00" if you click on it and enter +.5 you will get 1.5" in the DRO window. or it you enter -.5 you get .5" in the DRO window.
Not there in CandCNC's screen set.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

I found the problem. My number lock was turned off. It's the simple things. I hope my mistake brought another feature up on people's radar. I use the scale to cut different size butterflies from the same code.
Thanks
Josh
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

More information is always helpful :lol:
With the number of members bringing up different thoughts we all profit from it :D
Thanks to all.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

You can scale parts in SheetCAM and it lets you control where they are on the material and even step & repeat and nest to get better material usage. I always like to see what I am going to cut in relation to the material i am cutting on. Personally for me, it's almost as fast to open Corel and the master drawing and hit the Transforms and the Scale menu and scale it and mirror if you want in one click. Then build another part in SheetCAM. I am sure there is a similar tool in Inkscape.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”