Difference between tool and cut profile Mach3/sheet cam?

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Difference between tool and cut profile Mach3/sheet cam?

Post by whiskeymike »

Running a CandCNC electronics system using sheet cam and mach3 here. What's the difference in selecting a tool in sheetcam and selecting a cut profile?

I selected a tool - T90 fine cut low speed 16g steel in sheetcam. It cut ok, but was much better at 150% speed. I got to 150% by over riding it in Mach 3, but now would like to make it permanent. Do I make a new tool in sheetcam? What does the Mach 3 cut profiles have to do with it? I assume it overrides the sheetcam settings? If so, how do you know it's in affect, as I don't see it displayed anywhere.

Lastly, this system came from Starlab preconfigured and the tools in sheetcam don't match the cut profile. Does that impact anything? For instance, sheetcam has fine cut, low speed, mach3 does not.

Thanks, sorry for all the newb questions.
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Difference between tool and cut profile Mach3/sheet cam?

Post by srp »

You might have better results posting under Mach or Sheetcam forums.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

You can edit the tools in Sheetcam. Start sheetcam and right click on the tool that you want to change in the tools box on the left. This will bring up a selection box where you can click on edit. That will bring up an edit box where you can change the tool values.

Ignore the Mach cut profiles and let Sheetcam take care of things.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

I do everything in sheetcam and just use my mach for cutting. If my speed is not correct I change it in sheetcam so everything from there on and out will cut better.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
chattacuda
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chattacuda »

My 2 cents only. Sheetcam tools is where you want to make your adjustments for cut speed, pierce height, cut height, etc. In other words, anything that has to do with stepper motor motion. Mach 3 cut profiles is where you want to set your cut voltage that you want for your material. If i am cutting some material that is new to me, i can vary cut speed and voltage directly from mach while cutting a test piece to see what works best. Then i always go into my tools table in sheetcam and modify the speed so it is correct next time. Also go into mach and modify the cut profile for voltage for that material for next time too.
chattacuda from Dayton, Tennessee
CandCNC electronics, Precision Plasma V rail gantry, homemade 4'x8' water table, Sharpe Air Dryer
Hyperthem 45XP, CommandCNC, Sheetcam, Corel Draw
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Perfect, thanks guys. I was getting confused with having both.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Expanded Toolsets using the correct POST hold the Preset Volts. DTHC Delay , and if you have the RS485 for the Hypertherm, the Cut Current (Amps) and Air Pressure. Any toolset value will get embedded in the cut file (G-code) and automatically changes the settings when its loaded. It overrides the Cut Profile settings . You do not have to remember to change the Cut Profile when you change jobs or material if you use the SheetCAM toolsets, You can change the settings AFTER the job loads and it does the settings and prompts you to check the settings.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”