Mach 3 Run From Here

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Mach 3 Run From Here

Post by tnbndr »

Fairly new to this software. If the machine goes awry during a cut and I execute the "run from here" following the directions, it works sporadically. But what really doesn't work is if there are scribe functions in the g-code. During the run from here it will simulate the scribe functions by hammering the scribe up and down rapidly. Is this normal? has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way around it?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Mach 3 Run From Here

Post by I Lean »

I don't have a scribe so I can't comment there--but I have much better success using "set next line" rather than "run from here". The "run" makes the program scroll through from the beginning and upsets the Z axis DRO, where "set" just tells it to go from there. I just back up a couple steps (usually to the last M05) to make sure it knows where it needs to go....
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

I Lean wrote:I don't have a scribe so I can't comment there--but I have much better success using "set next line" rather than "run from here". The "run" makes the program scroll through from the beginning and upsets the Z axis DRO, where "set" just tells it to go from there. I just back up a couple steps (usually to the last M05) to make sure it knows where it needs to go....
Same here.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

I Lean wrote:I don't have a scribe so I can't comment there--but I have much better success using "set next line" rather than "run from here". The "run" makes the program scroll through from the beginning and upsets the Z axis DRO, where "set" just tells it to go from there. I just back up a couple steps (usually to the last M05) to make sure it knows where it needs to go....

x2
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

My screen does not even have a run from here..Just a set next line..Tom seems to have ditched that one..
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I have vague recollections of reading about this on the Mach forum, and Set Next Line is what was recommended. Run from Here seemed to be very temperamental.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I don't have a "set next line" and no idea how to add it. Perhaps I will contact LDR.

Thanks all for the responses.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Ok, got a new setup screen with "set next line" from LDR. Dan modified the file in short order. I will give it a try next time I have a fail.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Anyone care to post a brief description of how to use the "set next line" command, starting from Machine stops by diving or Emergency stop.
Seems self explanatory but I am sure I will screw something up.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

It's easiest if you have several contours to cut, lets say a row of internal holes. It gets trickier if it stops in the middle of a long line or curve.

For the stop in the row of holes--click in your Gcode window, and use the scroll wheel to move up and down the lines of code. As you do, watch the window that displays your layout. Mach will highlight the move you're on. Back up to the last hole you successfully cut, then find the last line of that cut (the M05 "torch off" command) and "set next line". Push "Run", and you should be good to go. That's assuming whatever caused the stop didn't make you lose position on any of your axes.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Mine has a "Line" input under the set next line. Do I enter the line number I want it to start on here? or the line prior to the start?
See Pic.
Attachments
Mach 3 Line.JPG
Mach 3 Line.JPG (139.62 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

That white line, where you see g-code, is the current line its reading.
so if you set it on m05, the last hole you finished, then press set next line, then press run, it will continue from
there.

if you stop in the middle of a line (not an arc or circle)
do not move.
find the g-code line where it highlights the line youre cutting.
press set next line
press torch on,
press run
it will resume that line.
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Sampson Jones »

If you use run from here ,after it runs though all the code and stops , Zero out your z reading , if you don't your z will go nuts on you .
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
imsly0
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Mach 3

Post by imsly0 »

I have a Mach3 and I now if my torch shuts off and my program keeps running how do I back up and take off from were it didnt cut?
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chasxjs »

Scroll up 3 post and read I Lean's post.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

Thanks for the info. I've always done the "run from here" and most of the time it was a nightmare. I will try set next line
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Sampson Jones wrote:If you use run from here ,after it runs though all the code and stops , Zero out your z reading , if you don't your z will go nuts on you .
good point, i often forget this step

as for the op's original scribe post: go back to your last M05 command and restart the scribe
i've tried ''scribe and cut, scribe and cut'' or even ''scribe and cut'' without much sucsess
you have to edit gcode to lift (M09 on my machine) the scribe
now i run scribe gcode and plasma gcode separately
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

set next line works much better
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
comeoutswingin

Post by comeoutswingin »

So I just got my LDR table and I am stuck here. I do not have this "set to line" button, how do I get it? Dan is out of the shop for the next 4 days and I'm stuck hi and dry with a $200 sheet on the table I do not wish to scrap. Run from here does nothing but sit there. If, for instance I put in line 321 it will run from here to line 22 with no machine motion and this is where it stays.

BTW, i followed the directions in the manuals and that does nothing. It at one time moved, but fired the torch on a rapid move and ran across a bunch of already cut parts.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as it looks like I"m going to have to hook my torch mate all back up to get through the weekend unless I can sort this out and get going.
5x10 LDR
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Where did you zero your XY positions to start? Goes the table have homes on X & Y? . What happened that you stopped the cut? What are you trying to recover?
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I'm not sure if LDR has a custom screenset but on the CandCNC screenset you have "set next line" and "run from here"

To recover a piece stopped part way through.

If you use "run from here" it will start from that point but it will go through and regenerate through the G code to get to that point and then you press "Run"

My preferred method is the "Set Next Line".
What I do when I have to restart from a fault is
Scroll back up through the G Code watching the screen until it gets to the end of the last cut. (I use the M05 to be sure it's not where the torch could fire)
I then hit "set next line" and "Run"
This will go to pierce the next cut, where as it goes to fire (red "torch" light illuminates) I hit "torch" so it doesn't fire and watch it to make sure it is following the previous cut correctly, if it is I hit "Torch" when it approaches the required point which fires the torch to continue cut.

If you had to stop due to a collision that may have caused the loss of torch position that's a bit different but if you need I can help you with that one too.
Hope that gets you out of trouble.
Murray
comeoutswingin

Post by comeoutswingin »

The program was started from 0,0 on the machine. The error was lost arc I had a low air pressure fault on the plasma cutter due to a frozen air line (air dryer needs adjusted). I am trying to get to line 12534 (but have tried multiple places with no success) after I select the line, click run from here it runs up to line 22 and stops. No machine motion or dialog boxes appear during this time. The software just hangs at this point in time until you reset the machine and try to start over.

Line 22 is a G00 Z0.150 command which makes me think the Z is causing some hang up?

This happened at an earlier point in this program also. I was able to overcome this only by starting from the beginning with a sheet laid over the already cut parts and letting the machine run until it reached the point I needed it to resume cutting at and turning the torch on quickly.
5x10 LDR
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Here's what I do when I get a torch out. I zero the torch as if starting a new sheet. I had Dan create a "go to zero" button that returns the torch to the position it was when I clicked on the zero X and zero Y buttons, so I can always return to the exact starting point.
Then I go to CAD where I nested the sheet or created the drawing and I move all the parts or lines already cut to a layer that I won't cut this time.
Import into Sheet cam and generate a new gcode sequence. Make sure any layers already cut are unchecked so they don't create gcode again. Bring into Mach 3 and run. It should skip everything that is cut and start cutting again to finish the sheet. It may not be in the same order as previous but everything will get cut.
I do not run full sheets of nested artsy items any more because this can become tedious if it happens often until you get your table dialed in. What I doe is draw the 4x8 sheet in CAD and nest several item, maybe 4. Import to Sheetcam and set my toolsets, create gcode, import to Mach 3 and run.
Close gcode in Mach 3, go back to CAD and select the items nested and put on a layer that I won't cut. Nest 4 more items, import to Sheetcam, create gcode overwriting the same file everytime so I don't have to name them, import to Mach 3 and run. I repeat until the entire sheet had been nested and cut. This method makes it easy to keep track of the sheet space and fill in spaces with other items, etc to best utilize material.
Hope this makes sense and helps you out.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
comeoutswingin

Post by comeoutswingin »

Well, I followed your idea tdnbndr and deleted the already cut parts and made a new file and resumed cutting. It worked until i ran into another arc loss. For a test I tired to run from here again in the new code and it does nothing.

Following LDRs directions in the manual to an absolute T does not work. Re-programming every time this happens is not acceptable to me nor is not nesting an entire sheet because of this issue. There are many times I have to stop a program mid run and starting over from scratch is not gonna cut it.

There has to be a solution to this. In reality it is simple as selecting the line and running from there. Or at least it should be as I know for a fact other table software is able to do this.
5x10 LDR
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I did not mean for it to be a long term solution but to help you save wasting metal until you get it figured out.
I have very few arc losses these days. I have never been able to get the run from here or set next line to work reliably. Need a good demo from someone more experienced.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”