Mach 3 Run From Here

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
dhelfter
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Mach 3 Run From Here

Post by dhelfter »

I agree it is not acceptable and will get an answer to you Monday when I am back at the shop. This is no way affects you being able to stop a program. If you need to do that simply press feed hold. When ready to proceed press run. Feed hold is the most appropriate way to pause a program. Again I realize your issue was do to an error on plasma unit and I will look in to that. I do know we use run from here per our instructions all the time without issue?
Thanks
Dan
Ldr
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I think maybe what is confusingis the Line Number DRO below the Set Next Line is just anindicator of what line the G-code is on. To Go to a line you need to use the scroll bar in the go code window and when the highlight bar is on the line you want to start from THEN hit the set next line and it willtake off from there. You do not type in a line number int he Line Number DRO

The reason the Run from Here does not work well is it ripples down through all of the code and that includes the Z touch offs which basically have no "result" unitl you hit the swtich so it tends to confuse the MACH engine. Set next line just rusn from the line thqat is highlighted in the code window

The accepted methood is if you get a stop from a fault then note the line number where you stopped BEFORE you hit any buttons. Now hit STOP if it is not already in stop or RESET. If the code resets to the top then use the scroll bar to go back down to the line where it stopped. Now scroll backwards in the code unitlyou find the prior M03 and keep going unitl you find the prior M05 (end of the prior cut). Jog the table back close to that spot *does nto need to be perfect) and rezero the Z at the topof the material. Now here is the important part: Put the DTHC in MANUAL mode and set it to OFF. Hit the Set next line and it will go over tot he M05 location and lift up to Rapid Height , go over over tot he starting pierce point of the cut it stopped on and (maybe) touch off and fire the torch. Quickly tunr OFF the torch with the screen button and watch it trace along the prior cut. Since the DTHC is off it willjust move along at cut height. Just before it gets tot he spot you wantit to start cutting again (about 1/2") use the wscreen button to fire the torch. It will starat to cut again. once it is cutting turn the DTHC ON Then Turn the DTHC Manual/Auto buttonto AUTO and you are back cutting again.

Its possibel to lose position if you hit STOP (instead of feedhold ) or you get an e-stop event. In that case when you start the pickup cut it will be off. Your only choice at that point is to stop and re-zero the start of the cut . If you have home swtiches and always use Table zero to position your material is pretty easy. If you use an aribratary 0,0 out someplace on the table it becomes a game of how close you canget to the point and manually zero.

Just remember to restart the code someplace before the start of the cut it dropped out on and to have the DTHC in Manual and off so the automatic commands inthe code won't turn it back on. Let it "air cut" until you get to where it needs to start and manully fire the torch.

After you do it a few times its pretty easy
comeoutswingin
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by comeoutswingin »

I think maybe what is confusingis the Line Number DRO below the Set Next Line is just an indicator of what line the G-code is on. To Go to a line you need to use the scroll bar in the go code window and when the highlight bar is on the line you want to start from THEN hit the set next line and it willtake off from there. You do not type in a line number int he Line Number DRO
I am aware of this. Makes no difference and I don't know why?
Here's a screen shot of my control. Am I just totally overlooking this "Set Next Line" as its refereed to because its called something else?
Noset.JPG

I've tried to with DTHC off, on doesnt matter. I've run a Torchmate system for years, so I am not totally in the dark here as I have had to start mid line/middle program before and know what I need to do to get there. While the Torchmate is different, I understand the quirks of height control and having to "trick" it in certain areas to get it to do what you need it to do.

The main problem being here is I cannot get this machine to even get "over" the correct area on the plate, or ANY area on the plate for that matter. The only way to get the machine to move is to totally start from the beginning.

I have set up a "fence" on this machine so my plate is always set at 0,0 so running back to the machine 0,0 will put me right where I need be should I actually loose position with the machine I can re-reference to the correct point.

I can set up remote assistance or remote desktop on this computer if need be and have someone virtually take control and run through the steps of this. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've literally tried everything over the weekend and nothing even gets me close.
5x10 LDR
dhelfter
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dhelfter »

Kevin,
Just emailed you a new screen.
Shut mach3 down
Copy it to the mach3 folder on the c: drive
yes on replace
restart mach3

Thanks
Dan
LDR
dhelfter
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dhelfter »

To clarify for others, our screen did not include set next line. We have always used run from here. All of our touch off process is done via macros, not in the actual code. The reason for this is if the z switch offset changes, you can still use code generated months or years ago, instead of having to regenerate gcode via sheetcam again.
We have not seen an issue with mach3 using "run from here" button until the ethercut.
We have updated all our screens and added button "set next line" and deleted "run from here".
Please use Tom's directions in the above post.

Thanks
Dan
LDR
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Run from here AND set next line BOTH can be used if you know what to do with each one. Also most people do not know you can run Mach3 in reverse to back up to a flame out point. What you need is a restart button/ function. I have one used here daily for the last 5 years or so.

AND YES if you are cutting you will have flameouts from time to time OR just need to stop mid cut to fix something OR change out consumables.

IF yall are interested and are willing to help I can drag out the old code and see if we can modernizer it for yall to use.

This is for Mach3 based controls only. Lcnc takes a different approach. AND UCcnc does not need it(;-).

(;-) TP
comeoutswingin

Post by comeoutswingin »

The set next line was able to get me back up and running. Albeit its a little long winded but it works. A restart feature would be a great thing that if you were to stop mid line you could just fire right back up immediately without having to actually set program up to the spot where its told to fire the torch.

I can fire the torch and manually mid run and click the run when the lines set up, but the delay time from the torch firing and me hitting run is enough to blow a large pierce hole.
5x10 LDR
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

IF yall are interested and are willing to help I can drag out the old code and see if we can modernizer it for yall to use.
I'd be more interested in finishing up the last one you were working on with the Sheet Cam Plugin for a pricing worksheet. Still have not heard from Les or seen any updated post here: http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=16283
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

I have emailed Les to make sure he is not working on a costing function. IF not then I will release the plugin and you can work with it and see IF it does what you need. I use it every day here BUT I created it so I know what it does. Also SheetCam can be installed several different ways and in several different places on your PC . I normally runs plugins from their home directory.

(;-) TP
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

The Costing Plugin is NOW over at SheetCam under Plugins.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

the Costing Plugin is NOW over at SheetCam under Plugins.
Thanks, I downloaded and followed your instructions on the sheetcam forum. I put in the information per your pics and when I press the "price out your job" button I get this message.
SheetCam Cost Plug In Message.jpg
SheetCam Cost Plug In Message.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

Am I missing something?
Also could you elaborate a bit on what the following costs are based on: ie per square foot, square inch
Machine Cost
Prep cost
Paint cost
Material cost
Material type - what is this?

TIA
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

We should start a new topic for this.

machine cost are in minutes

Everything else in Sq units that you are working with. It is suppose to auto sense teh Unit mode you imported into Scam on the post side.

Inches = Sq inch
Metric = Sq mm

It will NOT convert units of the Material or labor cost. You input teh units you will be using.

I should have stated it only works in the last couple of Dev versions.

(
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

also teh Material Type is not used in this version . In the next version it will identify the material type as that can effect things like paint and prep as it takes more work to do certain metals as opposed to others.

(;-) TP
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I started a new topic in the sheetcam section.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

This us a little late on the response. I dont know if you guys figured this out or not. I use "set next line" and it works flawlessly for me. I still have the super weird lost gas pressure code when using Hypertherm Finecut consumables. Almost everytime the torch will arc, move about a quarter inch and turn off but continue to move. I hit the stop button on the Mach 3 screen. Scroll back up to the most recent M09 M05 code. When it is highlighted, each individual code will be highlighted, then click on the "set next line" button. Dont worry about typing anything in the box under it. Just make sure the number matches the highlighted code. Then click the cycle start and it will go back to the beginning of the last cut and start over. If it is part of a longer cut, I follow the same steps but as soon as the torch fires I will turn it off on the Mach screen. When it gets close to where it stopped before click the torch back on and it will finish the cut.
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

This is a little late on the response. I dont know if you guys figured this out or not. I use "set next line" and it works flawlessly for me. I still have the super weird lost gas pressure code when using Hypertherm Finecut consumables. Almost everytime the torch will arc, move about a quarter inch and turn off but continue to move. I hit the stop button on the Mach 3 screen. Scroll back up to the most recent M09 M05 code. When it is highlighted, each individual code will be highlighted, then click on the "set next line" button. Dont worry about typing anything in the box under it. Just make sure the number matches the highlighted code. Then click the cycle start and it will go back to the beginning of the last cut and start over. If it is part of a longer cut, I follow the same steps but as soon as the torch fires I will turn it off on the Mach screen. When it gets close to where it stopped before click the torch back on and it will finish the cut.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hope this helps, this is the explination I got from Tom @ CandCNC on how to use set next line 8-)

Note the line number you stopped on in the G-code E-stopping can lose the absolute position so you need to re-reference your XY and Z to TABLE zero. You job reference point is only as accurate as the absolute postion reported by the DRO's. Re-home the axis to table zeros to reset the DRO position
Jog the torch out close to where it stopped
Turn the DTHC Auto Manual to MANUAL and DTHC to OFF
In the g-code window move to the line you stopped on and then backup to the M03 that starts that line THEN keep going to the M05 line of end of the previous cut
Hit the SET NEXT LINE and then RUN as soon as the Torch fires at the start of the bad cut turn it off with the screen button
Let the torch move along the cut path until you get about 1/4" or more from the bad spot and hit TORCH button to fire the torch. After the torch starts cutting new material flip the DTHC to AUTO and ON

It was a bit daunting at first but after a few **** ups you soon memorize the procedure and it works a treat :D

if you do try this explanation, please can you post back ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

I give some context to the Run from Here issue: That call ripples all oi the way back through the code to give "context" to where the machine should be. Problem is with a touch off the Z moves but there is no feedback so it loses the Z position entirely. We faced the same exact issue with LINUXCNC. We had to modify the button function to make it work. Throwing in a plate marker with Z offsets and XY offsets makes it even worse.
As it rewinds and runs the code every touch off confuses it, and throwing in a Z offset would just compound it

The Set next line simply assumes the axis is where it is (as shown on the DRO's ) and you want to run from a specific line, not completely rewind and start the trip all over again .
Fawad Afzal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fawad Afzal »

I need help my issue is when I write my lost line in run from here it's count only 10 lines I m using sheet cam for g codes what's problem in mach3 or sheetcam
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Depening on HOW the cut stopped you can lose position if you e-stop it in MACH. The scrolling back to the spot in code may not put the torch in the exact spot. Having real home switches and a Table Zero can get you back to a precise point.

Here is a general tutorial on how to resume a cut.

1. If you want to stop hit Feedhold (pause) and note the line number you are at. THEN hit STOP. (not e-stop)
2. Find that line in the code and scroll backwards unitl you find the m03 (beginning of the cut) and thenback to the prior M05
3 Jog your torch over close to the spot ti stopped an check to see if the Z needs a manual touch off to put it at the right height
4. Put the cursor (highlighted line ) in the code window on the M05 and hit the "Set Next Line"
5. Turn off the THC button.
4 Hit the RUN and be ready to turn off the torch with the screen button as soon as it get to the start of the cut where you need to pick up the line
5. The torch will track the previous cut . When it get about 3/8 from the break, turn on the torch with the screen button.
6. As it starts cutting new metal turn on the THC.

We have done this numerous times and its saved a lot of cuts BUT if you lose pssition in MACH you have to have some way to get back to where you started the cut . A return to zero just takes you back to where the DRO's read zeor (Work zero) so if its arbitrary so will be the position it starts.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Thanks Tom, copied and stored, usually get going doing the same but haven't been using stop after feed hold, will remember that for next time.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
towno
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by towno »

Great advice on this topic i dont need to ask the question about run from here now ... thanks Guys

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”