Z shift/Pierce Height does not holding setting

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
sundrop45
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Z shift/Pierce Height does not holding setting

Post by sundrop45 »

Purchased the machine new about 4 years ago and never could get CONSISTENT runs on parts and accreted this to not having the time needed to learn the system correctly so I set it aside. Recently sold my business and retired held on to the machine/setup with hopes of making a little extra pocket money but that?s not working out so far. I have spent a lot of time going through the manual and reading the posts on this site ensuring the proper setup as recommended but I?m still having problems and not sure if I am overlooking something simple. Frankly I don?t know if this has been the problem from the first day the machine arrived due to lack of knowledge and/or improper setup. Could use some help!

Here?s the hair puller, can?t maintain pierce height, burning nozzles & electrodes constantly due to head deciding to dive into the material at will. At times I can get it up and running just when I think I?m making headway it dives in. Following the digital height control setup procedure when trying to set height for pierce Z shift is not adjusting properly (raising & lowering the head) and will not maintain consistent height when I can get close to 0.100 for piercing then re-initialize. Ran machine diagnostics as per tutorial video all checked good except when checking Torch Control voltage reading on diagnostics, screen reads 0.0 volts was expecting to see some voltage reading there. Checked trigger control box torched fired and reads 8.5 volts. Here is what I have tried. Cleaned all connections with electrical contact cleaner also used electrical tape to secure connections of axis motor connections. Dissembled all mechanical parts on DHC cleaned and checked all devices move freely sprayed Blaster Dry Lube with PTFE were needed. Did find the ground wire on the Z axis motor was loose before disassembly removed bolt sanded grounding surface area and retightened. Disconnected all ground points at grate and grounding rod sanded/cleaned and retightened.

This is my setup, DHC machine, Hypertherm 600 with hand torch, cutting 20-12 gauge material using fine cut parts, swirl ring 220332, deflector 120303, nozzle 220330, electrode 120574. Using PCP group air dryer with auto condensate drain on 80 gallon 7.5 hp compressor. 120 volt circuit for computer, monitor and DHC is on a 20 amp braker with no other outlets. I have a dedicated 8? ground rod set and connected to the table by ?? copper wire rubber coated ground lead(old welding lead had left over). Replaced the power cord on the Hypertherm to 12? (did this after I found out Z shift not working) to move as far from the DHC & computer as possible. Computer (swapped out computers yesterday) is HP pavilion a400n running Microsoft windows xp home edition 2002, Plasma Cam version 3.11, tower is protected from dust filtered and vented. Settings for 20 gauge material Z axis speed 50.5, Cutting speed 150, approx 22 amps on Hypertherm, Cut height .069, Arc voltage 0.73, height for pierce 0.100, Z shift followed procedure can?t get a consistent number to lock in. Ranged from 0.074 to 0.95 with head Z shift zeroed at same location on plate when trying to adjust pierce height as per procedure. Have the same trouble with12 and 16 gauge, metal bowing excessively during setup or cutting is not the issue.

Have my suspensions hope it?s not what I think it is. Any suggestions of any kind would be greatly appreciated or will soon need an AA sponsor.
skiwithnoskis
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Z shift/Pierce Height does not holding setting

Post by skiwithnoskis »

I have the same problems I can not use the thc

Bb
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Z shift/Pierce Height does not holding setting

Post by geo4932 »

You are using the wrong swirl ring. The one you have is only for hand cutting. Use the regular swirl ring with the Finecut nozzle when cutting on the Plasmacam. Secondly, when you set the torch in the grips, do not have the grips right at the top of the retaining cap. Set it so that the grips are about an 1/8" below the top of the retaining cap.

The Pierce Height is set independently from the Cut Height. The pierce height needs to have the Z-shift correctly.
Open the settings and click the "Stall on material". Set the Overtravel for stall to .010
To set the Z-shift, initialize the machine then jog the torch out over the metal. Jog the z-axis down until the torch shield just touches the metal. Then go to the settings and click the ZERO next to the Z-shift. Save the setting and reinitialize.
The Cut height is calibrated with the "Arc voltage shift". For the Finecut nozzle it will be about .700. If you need to make adjustments you will increase or decrease the Arc Voltage shift by .05 increments.

Here are the part numbers for the Finecut for a H600
Nozzle 220330
Deflector 120303
Electrode 120574
Swirl ring 120576
Retaining cap 120600

Also, we have our own users forum at www.plasmacam.com. Log in to the Owners Community link with your machine serial number and your email address. We support all versions of the Plasmacam machine on that forum.
George,
Plasmacam Support

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”