DE basic or 3.11

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
fyrpower
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

DE basic or 3.11

Post by fyrpower »

I just purchased a used, but unused DH2 it has both designedge basic and 3.11 software that has not been loaded. My question is should I just use 3.11 untill I can afford upgrade to Full DE. It looks like 3.11 has features that DE basic has locked out. any thoughts?
zoeconner
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: DE basic or 3.11

Post by zoeconner »

What's the different between the two? I would start with the newest update.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

fyrpower wrote:I just purchased a used, but unused DH2 it has both designedge basic and 3.11 software that has not been loaded. My question is should I just use 3.11 untill I can afford upgrade to Full DE. It looks like 3.11 has features that DE basic has locked out. any thoughts?
You are correct. The basic Design Edge has features locked out that are included in 3.11.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

The 3.11 will be very basic and you may find yourself using other programs to help draw but you will learn the simplest functions a bit easier as it will not be as overwhelming to learn it. Although all the quick keys have changed in design edge....but you can customize those. DE is far superior in height control and drawing capabilitys and I would recomend it if and when you can afford the full version.
Brian
zoeconner
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by zoeconner »

After hearing other post about not being able to export to dxf unless you get the better upgrade sounds like a big joke. So what's the deal with DE? Is it really better?
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

zoeconner wrote:After hearing other post about not being able to export to dxf unless you get the better upgrade sounds like a big joke. So what's the deal with DE? Is it really better?
Yes it is better. I have a Pcam DHC2 with 3.11 and just bought a Samson 5x10 with Design Edge just before the end of the year. DE is better but I was disappointed in the different versions and features. The basic DE is scaled down to make it sound like a good deal but it doesn't include some of the features in 3.11. It's kind of like buying a car with the cruise control & air conditioner disabled and having to pay an upgrade price to make it work. I bought the full version with my Samson and really like it.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Copp3r »

I purchased my first Plasmacam table a number of years ago and have just recently upgraded to the DHC2 table and the Design Edge Software. If you can afford it, by all means move to the Design Edge. While the software is in many ways essentially the same (at first glance), I've found the drawing components - especially importing & conversion of images far superior - but to name one aspect.
While not cheap, that's a given, the time and frustration I have saved myself has paid dividends to say the least.

Good luck with your choice.

Copp3r / roger

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”