plasmacam design edge software with 3D router feature

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

plasmacam design edge software with 3D router feature

Post by Arc Innovations »

I just purchased the new plasmacam design edge software, and am intending on upgrading to using the 3D router feature. Just wondering if anyone out there has purchased this, and if there are any bugs to still be worked out?
I would think you would some how import a 3D model, and generate toolpaths off of it. Just wondering if the software gives you a "cut preview" like all the other CAD software out there. And how much control you have over the toolpaths. (depth of cut, direction of cutting, inside to outside and such).

Any input on the router portion or the new design edge soft ware would be greatly appreciated!!

Gary
Arc Innovations

http://ai-metalworks.com
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: plasmacam design edge software with 3D router feature

Post by geo4932 »

You have to have a good 3D file to import.
Start the Import. Select the Keep 3D properties check box.
Click Open
On the next screen select the Convert image to 3D paths, Omit Paths form Top Layer, Pixel color depth 1
The Z-offset will be the height of the base above the 0 plane.

In the Machine Menu you have 3D path Properties where you can see where each node is and the height. You can select a node and change its height.

George
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

What kind of 3D models will the software except? IGES, parasolid XT, solidworks?
I assume the software comes with a different menu to define the tool size of the ball endmill?
How soon could I come to the headquarters and see the 3D router in action? I live here in Colorado.

Gary
Arc Innovations

geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

You export the image from the software used to create the image as a dxf, gcode or txt file. The end mill size is also selected in the software used to design the image, not in Design Edge.
The software from "Cut 3D" works well.

george
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

So it sounds like you don't even use design edge to program the 3D routing program. From what I understand, you program a 3D path from a different software and import the G-code into plasmacam design edge. Is this correct?
Arc Innovations

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”