Design edge software

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Design edge software

Post by BrianMick »

Hello,so I am running the new design edge software for pcam, Man is it great, still learning all kinds of new tricks, Just wondering if anyone else is running it yet, so when I have any questions mabey they can answer them
Brian
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Designedge software

Post by Possumplasma »

Hey Brian,
Yup, using it here as well....can't say I'm an expert yet but, it is a great improvement.
Money well spent so far.
I'm still getting used to the new shortcuts altho, they are customizable.
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

My biggest problem is using the old shortcut keys and doing something I don't want to do, Right now it has slowed me down a bit, but I expect it to increase my speed once I get used to the new short cuts
Brian
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I currently use Plasmacam software for making and editing art. I have a Dynatorch machine and there software is what I use to control the machine. I have to convert my files for PM to DXF files and then open up Dynatorch software, create the cut path and cut the part. My question is can Designedge be set up to control my Dynatorch machine and if so what do I need to do? You help and ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

The Design Edge will not run your Dynatorch directly. You will still have to export the DXF files.
The software has a lot of new features to make drawing and tool paths easier. It will automatically stencil text, place text on a curve or into a shape.
George
Machiavelli
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Machiavelli »

Possumplasma wrote:Hey Brian,
Yup, using it here as well....can't say I'm an expert yet but, it is a great improvement.
Money well spent so far.
is it really "money well spent"?
When i looked at it, i thought it looked awesome and that it should have been what i got with my plasmacam instead of having to pay so much to upgrade to it. so i havent pulled the trigger yet. i've been doing all my design and layouts on another workstation and only use the plasmacam software for cutting.
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Machiavelli wrote:
Money well spent so far.
When i looked at it, i thought it looked awesome and that it should have been what i got with my plasmacam instead of having to pay so much to upgrade to it. so i havent pulled the trigger yet. i've been doing all my design and layouts on another workstation and only use the plasmacam software for cutting.
Machiavelli, If you are using plasmacam 3.11 to do all of your designing then yes it is money well spent....... with that being said......I think if you are using another good cad program to do all your drawing and are happy with it then stick to what works for you.......Im only saying that "I" dont have any other cad software and the designedge compared to version3.11 is far superior. I hope that may clear my answer up a bit more...
Brian
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

To add to what Brian said.
If you're running a DHC and just using 3.11 only as a driver, keep on truckin.
If you're running a DHC2 and using 3.11 as a driver, Design Edge seems to have much better DHC control plus, the saved configurations is brilliant....it saves everything.
You'll also find Design Edge will make you use third party design software less and less altho, having said that, I've just purchased Corel Graphic Suite X5 as well so, read into that what you will..... ;)
maxman1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by maxman1 »

seems to me to a bit out of line on the cost for this "upgrade" A 2 grand upgrade is a lot out of line really. Not sure why when a guy spends 15 grand on a machine that has issues with its programming ability that he should then fork out another two grand to fix what should of been right in the first place.
Nope not gonna happen here..... I learned how to get around all the issues with the original, spent less money on other photo editing programs and doubt that upgrade will happen in this shop.... well take that back....... maybe when I upgrade to a better table system......
Max
Groth
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Groth »

Dawgonhawg wrote:I currently use Plasmacam software for making and editing art. I have a Dynatorch machine and there software is what I use to control the machine. I have to convert my files for PM to DXF files and then open up Dynatorch software, create the cut path and cut the part. My question is can Designedge be set up to control my Dynatorch machine and if so what do I need to do? You help and ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
Just curious, how did you come about using Plasmacam software over all the other software thats available for your Dynatourch?
Thanks
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I no longer use Plasmacam. I use x5.
dbug10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dbug10 »

I would love to get this software for my PC but it is way pout of my price range
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fredfox »

Design Edge is great, but only if you have all the upgrades, basic hight control was not very friendly, only in my opinion.
Joey
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joey »

So far I am happy with the new software. The height control is way better and as far as consumable life, it does extend things. I don't have any other software to use so I really like the "solid closed paths" option. It make printed stuff easier to show and discuss with customers. I didn't fork out for the upgrade until I got the Sampson so I was already spending a lot of money, but, I was very disgusted that I cost me an extra five hundred just to have the program on a second computer. IMHO two seat licenses should be included. I'm sure Plasma Cam spent a lot of money developing the new software, but I doubt very many people want to sit in the shop all the time. I know I don't.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

Joey wrote:So far I am happy with the new software. The height control is way better and as far as consumable life, it does extend things. I don't have any other software to use so I really like the "solid closed paths" option. It make printed stuff easier to show and discuss with customers. I didn't fork out for the upgrade until I got the Sampson so I was already spending a lot of money, but, I was very disgusted that I cost me an extra five hundred just to have the program on a second computer. IMHO two seat licenses should be included. I'm sure Plasma Cam spent a lot of money developing the new software, but I doubt very many people want to sit in the shop all the time. I know I don't.
I agree!
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
MADMAX99205
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MADMAX99205 »

Every now and then I read these forums.... This upgrade to the plasma cam software still chaps my hide. 2 grand for an upgrade?? COME ON NOW! SERIOUS! REALLY! Trying to make money on this art is difficult at best. To pay for the table, the metal, the finishing, the consumables, the utilities, the shop space, the tools it takes to do the work, the list is endless. So to justify a software upgrade at $2,000.00 this program would have to somehow, someway sit on the computer screen and generate programs by itself while I am out in the shop painting, patinizing, grinding, cutting, welding, selling, and even then if it didnt make coffee I would be hard pressed to hire it.

In Other words..... Cut the price on this program so the average everyday small business owner could afford to use it. The current cost is way beyond reasonable. Granted it took time and money to develop this, and your company needs to turn a profit too. But do you have to nail your past customers to the cross to do that? What ever happened to the concept of treating your existing customers well so they inturn will send more business your way. As you can see by the tone of this message that nobody I know will be knocking at your door.

Max
artistic touch metals
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by artistic touch metals »

Machiavelli wrote:
Money well spent so far.

EXACTLY! The cost of this upgrade is totally out of line... I do design work on other programs then use the plasma cam to cut... Good photo editing programs like corel draw... That was money well spent.... cost a third of the plasmacam design edge... and less than that when you UPGRADE.....

One of these days somebody will pirate and then share that design edge software upgrade. The cost of the table purchase should of gotten some kind of break on the cost of an upgrade to the software that ran it....
oh well.....
Max
artistic touch metals
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by artistic touch metals »

mdwalker wrote:
Joey wrote:So far I am happy with the new software. The height control is way better and as far as consumable life, it does extend things. I don't have any other software to use so I really like the "solid closed paths" option. It make printed stuff easier to show and discuss with customers. I didn't fork out for the upgrade until I got the Sampson so I was already spending a lot of money, but, I was very disgusted that I cost me an extra five hundred just to have the program on a second computer. IMHO two seat licenses should be included. I'm sure Plasma Cam spent a lot of money developing the new software, but I doubt very many people want to sit in the shop all the time. I know I don't.
I agree!
Ohhh for craps sake they do that too???
Thats it... no way gonna upgrade to this!
In fact maybe its time to sell that albatrose table and get into one whos management treats customers like we treat ours... Friggen 500 bucks after a 2 grand purchase....just to run it on your second computer....lap top...job bid... OHHH for crisssss sake..
Max

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”