cut path question for PlasmaCAM owners

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
awt112
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

cut path question for PlasmaCAM owners

Post by awt112 »

Ok I have never used the feature "import as cutpath" So my question is by using this feature does this prevent you from having to individualy go through and turn everything to cut paths? and if so does it work good? I'm just wondering does the software know in what order to cut the piece out..?

Thank in advance
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cut path question for PlasmaCAM owners

Post by mdwalker »

Interesting question. I've been a PC user for a few years now but had never imported as a cut path. Best way to find out is to try it, so I did. It converts all lines to cut paths when the file is imported. It doesn't add lead ins or take in to account broken or overlapping segments. It simply imports the file as is except it is now a cut path. To see what it does, import a file as a cut path. Then select it and click on "Machine" "Cut Preview" & it will show you how it will be cut.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
wl5044
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wl5044 »

If you import a pic clean it up if needed ( make it purple) them select (covert to cut path) (Press p on key board) and then move your cross hair next to your outside cut it will convert the whole pic in correct order although I always do a cut preview before cutting . Be sure to save it before converting to cut path so you don't lose any work if there is a hickup while converting.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

I think import as cut path is a shortcut for when you know the file is all ready to cut. If you expect to do any editing, like scaling, you should do all that before converting to cut paths, because convert to cut paths performs kerf compensation. So rescaling cut paths would also scale the kerf compensation amount and you don't want to do that.

Or when shape polarity is ambiguous, such as if you have a circle to cut, you can choose whether to cut to the inside or to the outside to form a hole or a disc.
awt112
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by awt112 »

Thank you all for the information I will give it a try tomorrow, I was mainly concerned if it would cut in the correct order..

Thanks again!

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”