Plasmacam 98Z software and manual (now hypertherm ?'s)

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
liquidcooled
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmacam 98Z software and manual (now hypertherm ?'s)

Post by liquidcooled »

First post to the forum.

I just got into metalworking in the last year or so on the side and have picked up a bunch of welding and other fabrication jobs. Had been looking at building a CNC plasma cutter myself anyways but I wound up picking up a used Plasmacam 98Z for basically nothing that needs a little TLC (Surface rust mostly). Previous owner said it worked when pulled but had been sitting for a few years and now the control box wouldn't jog the motors. He didn't get the PC with software with the machine and after doing some more research on this it seems to be the problem to me. PC required to move anything on the plasmcam it appears. I had planned on converting it to Mach3 and just using the frame and motors when I bought it but if I can get started with the older software that would be great. Long term plan is still to update to something newer long term with height control but I I can get started on this the better.

Basically does anyone know what up to what version of the old plasmcam software will work the 98Z?

Does anyone have a source for the old software, from what Im finding online plasmacam no longer sells it or supports it (I get not supporting it)?

Does anyone have a PDF of the manual for this machine?

Does anyone have part numbers for the bearings or belts on it.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by liquidcooled on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liquidcooled
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Plasmacam 98Z software and manual

Post by liquidcooled »

Not a lot of activity on these forums I suppose

Anyways. I ordered a Powermax 45xp with machine and hand torches today.

Working on locating the old owner to have then transfer ownership with PlasmaCAM to get the software. Hoping that pans out at least.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

You might have better luck reposting this under PlasmaCam in the Plasma tables discussion section.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

It sounds like you have almost a DIY build on your hands, and I think you have realized from you statement above about the conversion to Mach 3.
I would do some research online looking at some DIY builds so you understand how things are assembled. This would be mainly on the electronics and computer configuration and assemblies. There are vendors the sell partial or whole kits that would help get you going with the electronics. Just have a clear picture of what is needed before you start spending money. I and other here have built DIY tables but that is slightly different then adapting an older table's configuration.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

There are a very few folks still running the 98z, it's ancient as you know.

I think the software is 2.11 or something like that (version for current tables is 4.44) and it's a pretty simple program that can be installed from a thumb drive. My advice would be to get the ownership transferred which will give you access to the owner's community forum. As I said there are a couple there that have had or still have these machines that should be able to share a copy of the software with you if you don't have it.

Sorry I missed this post, I scroll through for topics but mostly look for the Plasmacam forums so this one slipped by me.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

I believe PlasmaCam stopped supporting that version of the software recently, so you may not be able to transfer it. They've been known for making people buy upgraded software rather than supporting their old stuff, so you may end up spending $2k just to see if that thing even works anymore
liquidcooled
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by liquidcooled »

Got my 45xp today.....Its sweet already put it to work on some projects with the hand torch.

I'm assuming there is no issue putting the manual drag shield on the machine torch to control the standoff since this model doesn't have height control?

Also it came with the remote control pendant.... correct me if I'm wrong but no need to keep that around if I'm not going to be track cutting?
rdj357

Re: Plasmacam 98Z software and manual (now hypertherm ?'s)

Post by rdj357 »

Nope, no need for the pendant. The drag shield is OK for now but you need a regular shield. You don't want it dragging the metal and the only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to cut at too high a height.
liquidcooled
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by liquidcooled »

To clarify it has the regular shields also but the 98z doesn't have height control (z access but no height control).

Still waiting on software to test and make sure the box is still good. Hopefully it is still good and I can get started with this for now and then modify/upgrade to height control later.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Just use the regular shield and then a feeler gauge or shim to set your height. The correct height for the drag shield is in contact with the metal and that won't work well with CNC!

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”