Save 20% right now on DesignEdge Software - Upgrades - Seats - Etc.

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Save 20% right now on DesignEdge Software - Upgrades - Seats - Etc.

Post by Joe Jones »

PlasmaCam has just posted a 20% sale on their DesignEdge software, additional seats, upgrades, etc. It is valid 12/15 through 01/03/2018

They don't do this often, so this is a good time to add a few upgrades to your DesignEdge license!

Joe

see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Save 20% right now on DesignEdge Software - Upgrades - Seats - Etc.

Post by see&see »

:P :mrgreen: You beat me to it Joe! Can't understand that! :roll:

I've been very patient and doing most everything on the 4x4 for almost whole year since PlasmaCam sold me that new table for 2 grand discount.

My motto was, "I Need It and I Don't Have It, So I Don't Don't Need It"

Hmmmm, where did I hide that piggybank?
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I think for THIS sale, perhaps the best first choice might be the customizable size upgrade so you can raise your rails and install John Derby's 4-1/2" Z kit, or even a 6" Z setup. Either John or I will make the 6" backing plates soon. I already have a limited number of the 6" Z ACME screws available for $150.00 each.

Generally speaking, the very first upgrade I would purchase is Advanced Design. It allows you to do so much more than the basic.

Then I'd suggest a second and even a third seat, each installed onto PCs with parallel ports, so when your main table PC goes down, you can swap out the tower and keep cutting.

Then, Advanced Height control. Then Advanced Machine control. Next, automatic nesting, and finally the Full 3D if you are going to get into routing, paint pens, lasers and other toys.

The customizable Size upgrade is also a very good one if you are the type who can raise your rails and replace your stock ACME screw with John Derby's 4-1/2" Z setup, or the Klembott system, or you choose to build my setup with the synchronized linear actuators.

The 6" Z ACME screw I sell would require a 6" backing plate though, and John will probably make those soon. I have not found the time to create them and have them manufactured to sell. Cue The Beach Boys ... "Wouldn't it be nice ..." if PlasmaCam made and sold 4" and 6" backing plates?

The engraver is a good accessory. I bought one but have not had the time to use it yet. It looks well designed and well built though.

Also a router ... either PlasmaCam's router adapter which uses the fun but limited DeWalt 660 trim rotary tool, or John's router adapter that accepts a real DeWalt 611 router, which is more powerful and versatile.

The Metric Units upgrade should be GIVEN to us, since the folks over in Europe do not have to pay for "Imperial Units." I paid for Metric Units, just because I wanted 'The Full Monte' of software, but I consider it a thousand dollars completely wasted on a useless upgrade I will never, ever use.

The pipe cutter ... hold off on that one too. You will probably never use it unless you build a separate stand-alone pipe cutting station, and you cannot sell it if you decide you don't need it. PlasmaCam will not let you transfer your pipe cutter to another owner, so once you plunk down $1,995.00, it is yours until The Second Coming, or until you sell it WITH the table.

Then, if your rich uncle Cedric dies and leaves you his massive Floridated Gummy Bear fortune, you can get into spare controller boxes, spare carriage assemblies, spare cables and more.

With the exception of the Metric Units and the pipe cutter 'You OWN it' clause, each of the upgrades really is worth the price, once you realize the additional capabilities added to your DesignEdge license with each upgrade.

Joe
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

HI Joe
I was wondering where I could find the products from John Derby?
I picked up a used table and am nervous it may need repairs ( I will post that in another section)
Do you know if they sell the full version for allot more?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

You can call John at 818-539-4732 or call him at J Derby Welding in Granada Hills, CA.

What do you mean by "the full version?"

Joe

newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

Joe Jones wrote:You can call John at 818-539-4732 or call him at J Derby Welding in Granada Hills, CA.

What do you mean by "the full version?"

Joe

The full version of the software since I didn't get any software from the guy I bought it from
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

DesignEdge is sold in modules. You buy the basic DesignEdge software for $2K (* on sale right now for $1,596.00). The advanced DesignEdge is $1K / *798.00 The other additions are all on sale now for 20% off, and can be added as desired for $998 each *798.00

The "Full Monte" of DesignEdge software will run you about $14K

Joe

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”